Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Wisconsin

Notices

Thread: GTG at Devil's Lake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Crawling Report

In the end just 3 of us showed up. Slick, Thumbman and I but that was fine. The rest of y'all missed some super crawling.

It was about 35 degrees most of the day but the wind was blocked for the most part and it was really quite comfortable.

With Thumbman as a guide, since he had more experience at the lake than either Slick or me, we started out on the west side at the lot just before the ranger station and spent a battery pack's worth of time working our way down towards the lake finding plenty of good lines through the rocks and a couple of sections that look promising for future comps. The best spot in my opinion was near the bottom of the path near the lake.

After a stop back at the vehicles for a snack and charging we made our way over to the East Bluff area. The walk up wasn't too bad and when we got to the top we found some excellent crawling. The rocks at the top on the east side are much bigger than the rocks at the bottom on the west side and there are several areas that remind me of castle ramparts or parapets. Each had a slightly different character but all were really great. I was constantly amazed at the traction available even though the rocks and tires were cold. judiciously placed in amongst the good grip were plenty of worn sections that were slick and treacherous. A hundred or more years of hikers sure do wear rocks in some places. It was easy to see where folks have been sliding down rocks for years. Oh, I suppose Mother Nature does Her part too.

I'd changed my wheels/tires from the Axial/Hammer combo to a Pro-Line/Rock Claw combo and liked the performance of this set up better than the earlier combo.

Overall my Black Widow performed really well. I am stocked that with just a bit more tuning it will make me look good despite all I can do to the contrary!

Slick and I had a bit of driving with the Losi Minis too. Slick had his working the big rocks really well. Boy, those Losi memory foam inserts sure do stiffen up in the cold but the blue compound tires rule the rocks!

Don't miss the next one!
Attached Images

schmenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

I had a good time today. I didn't freeze like I thought I was going too, in fact I was quite warm while walking. The west side of the lake had some wicked lines, can't wait for the temps to come up and see what we can really do. Good job on the pics! Looking back on that ledge pic I'm glad the truck didn't go over. It looks to be a 10ft fall!
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Excuse me while I kick myself for not making it. Beautiful pics, looks like you had a blast. Next spring (unless you're planning a snow crawl) I will make it a point to be there!

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 AM   #44
MWRCA'er

Great pictures and trip report! I really wish I could have made it, looked like a great time. There is just tons and tons of good lines to find at Devils lake. Totally worth the drive everytime. That east bluff has just shockingly good hill climbs. I've just been to busy lately, I've only made it up there once this whole year and still need to test my Berg. Bet it was a nice day to be out, not many hikers this time of the year.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

If I would have only woke up when i set my alarm to. I would have been there. I was bored on Sat and drove up there then and got some crawling in. But there were to many damn leaves in the way. I was running right by the 3rd parking lot. Nice rock formation....I'd post a pic but I forgot my camera. I really can't wait to go up to kaspers in 2 weeks.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Looks like it was a nice place to crawl wished i could of made it but needed to get the leaves racked and all the fun winter crap done to the house my doors are always open to crawl anytime just give me a call 920-313-0027 or leave me a message........chris
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Looks like it was a great time! I'll have to pull the camper up there this next summer and spend some quality time on the rocks.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote