Notices

Thread: wi "super" crawler club thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #21
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
I'm from Mosinee. It's in the central part of the state. I haven't been looking around much for crawling spots, but a friend of mine says there is an abandoned quarry in Rib Mountain, near where he lives, which has been turned into a public park type area. Sounds like it has good potential. I'll be checking it out in the spring.

If this is the quarry on the west end of it, please find out!!! We used to sneak up in there when it closed down (20+ys ago) it would make an awesome spot for a comp or GTG. That is if they didn't mess with it too much.

PM me if you find more out! I've been thinking of having a gtg up there for a while now
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Will do! A get together would be great. It seems a lot of the guys in WI are from the south or east. It would nice not to have to drive so far to run some crawlers! I'm willing to bet the quarry is on the west side. Motorized vehicles aren't allowed into the actual park area, and my friend tells me it's probably a 15 min walk deeper into the park, from the driveway where you can park your vehicles on an access road. I've been up to the gate last fall to check it out, but we didn't walk in and explore. It was around hunting season and there were some guys in the woods. I'll be checking it out as soon as the snow melts. I'll ask my friend today at work if it's on the west. I know I-39 runs north, and the park area is to the west of I-39.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #23
tjb
Rock Crawler

Sounds good, I know the quarry I am talking about is just above State park speedway out on "NN", and Grouse Ln. Grouse Ln. turns into the road to the quarry. I get home (Wausau) every so often, should be more now for Yote hunting. I might check it out in the next few weeks. I'm looking at trying to get there on the 18th.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Sounds good, I know the quarry I am talking about is just above State park speedway out on "NN", and Grouse Ln. Grouse Ln. turns into the road to the quarry. I get home (Wausau) every so often, should be more now for Yote hunting. I might check it out in the next few weeks. I'm looking at trying to get there on the 18th.
Sounds like you are describing the exact loaction for sure. I'm firmilar with NN and State Park Speedway. I'm not sure where exactly Grouse Lane is though. My friend would probably know. He says the area would be excellent for crawling. Lots of rocks, and even some slick, sloped rock faces that are pretty smooth and hard to walk up. Unfortunately, he says the punk kids like to spray paint their class year on the rock faces, which kind of ruins the natural beauty of the area, but from the sounds of it, not much else has changed since the quarry shut down.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

do any of you guys know a place to crawl by stevens point? that might be a good halfway point to meet the central wi guys.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
do any of you guys know a place to crawl by stevens point? that might be a good halfway point to meet the central wi guys.
Not right off hand. I would have to venture down there and just drive around sometime. I'm in that area once in a while. I have family there. Maybe I could ask them.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Not right off hand. I would have to venture down there and just drive around sometime. I'm in that area once in a while. I have family there. Maybe I could ask them.
my wife's family is from stevens point.

espee, did you get ur super completed yet? i'll be finishing my second one here shortly, just waitin on another servo.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Just about done with it! I only need to tidy things up in the wiring department a little, and maybe take of putting some color on the skins. It actually runs. I'm undecided on a paint scheme, so I may leave it bare till spring, when I can spray it outside. I also started a new 2.2 crawler project. I might post some photos when I get home from work, late tonight.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #29
tjb
Rock Crawler

Here is a quick aerial photo of the quarry. The road coming in from the right middle of it is grouse lane. the speedway is at the top......

Knowing how big the speedway is (1/4mi oval) you can judge the size of the quarry. but a majority of the edges are cliffs..
Old 01-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here is a quick aerial photo of the quarry. The road coming in from the right middle of it is grouse lane. the speedway is at the top......

Knowing how big the speedway is (1/4mi oval) you can judge the size of the quarry. but a majority of the edges are cliffs..
Yup, that's the place for sure. I talked to my buddy and he said Grouse Lane was definitely the road that leads to the quarry, though you cannot drive all the way to the quarry. They have a gate maybe a block off NN, so you have a pretty long walk to the quarry itself. Motorized vehicles aren't allowed.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #31
tjb
Rock Crawler

That is one long UP HILL walk then!

It was drunk and I was dark the last time I was up there.... ('86-'87'ish...yup old I am )

I think 3M owned/used the quarry. I can try and get time to call the county or township to find more out. It would be cool place to have a GTG though............
Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #32

Hey, I'm Espeefan's friend, and live right across the street from there, and your right. it's a long walk uphill both ways.
bucwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

hey there is a place by me in janesville actually a couple places i go just of the rock river
usa1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #34
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucwild View Post
Hey, I'm Espeefan's friend, and live right across the street from there, and your right. it's a long walk uphill both ways.

I think you gotta be the only one in Wausau that is into rock crawling

I lived there for 28yrs, honestly hate the place now. I get back to Marathon City where my mother-in-law lives and I have a Dirt Oval set up. but no rocks........:-P but I am totally up for a GTG up there when the snow goes...
Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #35

Quote:
I think you gotta be the only one in Wausau that is into rock crawling

I lived there for 28yrs, honestly hate the place now. I get back to Marathon City where my mother-in-law lives and I have a Dirt Oval set up. but no rocks........:-P but I am totally up for a GTG up there when the snow goes...
Thats cool, should be a good time. Maybe we could bust out some nitro's too.
bucwild is offline   Reply With Quote