Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: Starting a Xfactor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Starting a Xfactor

I am not a fan of huge, funny looking rc crawlers that look nothing like the real thing, BUT I was able to trade a miniT that i never played with for some huge@$$ Xfactor axles, I think these are the biggest at 14" so I am going to face my fears and build a crazy, huge travel, low CG, crawling machine. But I need a little help.

So I am getting a set of Xfactor axles on thusday and need a little help with a build of this scale. Heres the plans so far:
Xfactors
Pede trans
revo/maxx d-shafts
6.3" savage shocks (damn they are big)
4 link sus
4 wheel steering

Thats what got, and that's where I need help. The chassis is going to be my first fabrication job. I want to use some 1/8 alu and cut it with my scroll saw. I'm not sure exactly what kind of design would be best. I don't see to many of these around. I would love to see some pics of what is out there so i can get some ideas.

If you have a big 'ol crawler useing Xfactors, twin force, or anyother big axle let me see what you've got. I would really apreciate it, I know this section doesn't get many looks, but keep a look out for my build up, it will not dissapoint.

Pics to come when the axles get here next week!
Andrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Hey,

At this scale most everything I have seen has been custom. I have been reading the posts for the last six months and finally decided last month to go with an x-factor. I haven't done anything with it yet though because of time.

Here are 2 builds I found intersting:

using stock chassis:
My eletric X-Factor

total custom (incomplete)
Crimson Rain (future work in progress)
xaruum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yeah we'll see about the ped tranny. I have heard of it before, but with some big tires it might not be strong enough. Maybe if i use all the metal internal parts.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrizzle
Yeah we'll see about the ped tranny. I have heard of it before, but with some big tires it might not be strong enough. Maybe if i use all the metal internal parts.
upgrade to the the metal idler gear and you good to go. But I also run a gd-600 to help out the weight of the truck.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Moderator Rule Breaker

hope this a motivation.......

same truck diff body....

Old 06-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default nice

Eric, that thing is pretty sweet. That is a lot of what I had in mind, I hope you don't mind if mine ends up looking a lot like that. The only other one I've seen has a chassis similar to that, but with both shock mounts up high. Why did you do the low fronts? interesting might keep things lower up front for climbing. Very nice rig though. thanks for the pics.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Eric, that thing is pretty sweet. That is a lot of what I had in mind, I hope you don't mind if mine ends up looking a lot like that. The only other one I've seen has a chassis similar to that, but with both shock mounts up high. Why did you do the low fronts? interesting might keep things lower up front for climbing. Very nice rig though. thanks for the pics.
the reason for the front shock mounts are like that is because the front shocks are x-factor shocks and shorter then the savage.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
I am not a fan of huge, funny looking rc crawlers that look nothing like the real thing, BUT I was able to trade a miniT that i never played with for some huge@$$ Xfactor axles, I think these are the biggest at 14" so I am going to face my fears and build a crazy, huge travel, low CG, crawling machine. But I need a little help.

So I am getting a set of Xfactor axles on thusday and need a little help with a build of this scale. Heres the plans so far:
Xfactors
Pede trans
revo/maxx d-shafts
4 link sus
4 wheel steering

Thats what got, and that's where I need help. The chassis is going to be my first fabrication job. I want to use some 1/8 alu and cut it with my scroll saw. I'm not sure exactly what kind of design would be best. I don't see to many of these around. I would love to see some pics of what is out there so i can get some ideas.

If you have a big 'ol crawler useing Xfactors, twin force, or anyother big axle let me see what you've got. I would really apreciate it, I know this section doesn't get many looks, but keep a look out for my build up, it will not dissapoint.

Pics to come when the axles get here next week!
Good luck with the build. I have already ordered a mamba 6800 for the "T"
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113
the reason for the front shock mounts are like that is because the front shocks are x-factor shocks and shorter then the savage.
I figured that was the case. I ordered up a savage 4 pack so I'll do the tall ones all the way around.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Those axles are killer, your going to love them.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Eric113, I see you bought Toyo's old truck. That's a classic in this hobby.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

You know that you'll only see roughly 1/2" to 5/8" more travel out of the Savage shocks compaired to a standard 4" Maxx shock right.

IMHO,they fit a 1/4 scale rig better. Their extra length makes it hard to tuck them in tight places.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

[quote=raptorman57]You know that you'll only see roughly 1/2" to 5/8" more travel out of the Savage shocks compaired to a standard 4" Maxx shock right.

that's okay it's not travel that I am after. I want to have the shocks set at a pretty low angle to the chassis, and these long ones will fit the bill nicely. They are nice and thin too, so they should tuck in under the body quite well.
Imagine trying to use LST shocks, those things are short and fat, like little kegs, thought they are damn smooth and bomb proof.

I have a bit of my parts now so I'll get some pics up here a little later tonight.
The body I painted up for this thing turned out ! S I C K !
Old 06-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default pics

okay

So I have started getting the parts together for this build and I figured i would take a few shots to show you all what I am working with so far.

AXLES

These are about as tough as I have seen, a little dirty and not yet locked, but I'll take them all apart and clean, JBweld the diffs, and replace all the hardware with SS stuff. The they will be good to go.

SHOCKS

These are the standard cheap savage replacements. They didn't cost much but seem very smooth and the preload is just about right.

TIRES

I am not sure what tires to go with but to get me started while I'm saving for moabs I have these two to chose from(normally hauling a$$ on my LST). Some stock LST1s and some MGTs. I'll probably go with the LSTs

BODY

I am very happy with how this body turned out. It is a Power Wagon, I painted the fenders on the inside and out for the semigloss paint look, much more realistic than shiny lexan IMO. First time trying it, worked out real well. I went with this body because it is pretty big and will look sweet with HUGE tires. I will do some "bedliner" in the bed but I have to find some in black first..

As for the chassis, I just ordered a set of carbon NN plates from TCS and am going to base it off of those. With delrin standoffs and skidplate. Still thinking a pede tranny, but I am open to suggestions, that's just what I have used before. I got some allthread for the links and witll sleave them with some CF arrow tube, should be pretty bomber.

All I have to figure out is how to do the servo mounts....thebigJAT has some awesome ones figured out on his X-cursion, but my skills aren't quite there. Maybe I will see if he can make me some...

Thanks for lookin' any comments are good to hear. Keep checking for updates, might be a bit slow with this one but it will be COOL!
-andrew
Old 06-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #15

Default X Factor bro's

yo there, this looks all too familiar, almost brings tears to the eyes......

here is some pics of a tuber gone on a fibre diet....hopefully this works, this is my first post on RC Crawler here.....

so, hey boys

I just finished the transformation this week, still tweaking

this is how "TanTanka", starter her life......more pics to come...
bang-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #16

here is one of the shots after she went on a little benchwork makeover...

lmk what ya think.....

here is link to our newly started RC Crawling club in Vancouver, BC....

"Greater Vancouver Rock Crawlers" is our voted name...VRC sound good too though...

http://www.4sportbikes.net/vrc/

it just started in the last 6 month, became officially named and started this week, by a few keen members...oh ya, you can tell the x factor...

more to come, some build up pics, if I still have some?

Last edited by bang-on; 06-29-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Default cool

Bang,
Your tuber looks great. I would love to see a pic or two of how you have your servos mounted and how the links attach to the axles. It looks like you are using the stock mounts which is what I was planning on. How is that working for you? I am STOKED on my X Factor, it is going to kick some major ***, can't wait to get all the parts together and build this sucker.

That's cool you have a new club up in Vancouver BC. You will have to do a field trip down to one of the ORCRC comps and see how we roll:-P. visitors are always welcome, come ready to crawl. I'm sure you have some sweet spots up there, might have to check out a comp of yours.

welcome from another n00b

andrew
Old 06-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Bang,
Your tuber looks great. I would love to see a pic or two of how you have your servos mounted and how the links attach to the axles. It looks like you are using the stock mounts which is what I was planning on. How is that working for you? I am STOKED on my X Factor, it is going to kick some major ***, can't wait to get all the parts together and build this sucker.

That's cool you have a new club up in Vancouver BC. You will have to do a field trip down to one of the ORCRC comps and see how we roll:-P. visitors are always welcome, come ready to crawl. I'm sure you have some sweet spots up there, might have to check out a comp of yours.

welcome from another n00b

andrew
no prob andrew, and thanks for the comment, I will have some photos to you for tommorow.

Keep on building my firiend, there a few helpful things to keep in mind before you mount anything on the axles.

1. Check diff, are they shimmed, if not, shim. let me know if you need help, but the axles are prone to clicking if no shims are in.

2. the inner drive axles have a set screw on the drive, likes to come loose. Two on each axle, use red threadlock, yes red. "Blue" will come loose, and once this is built up, is much more difficult to do. worth checking now....

ill be back, lmk how things are going....

cheers...

b
Old 07-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Dont think I saw this on your list but, you will want to get the MGT pinion shafts. They bolt right in and already have a hole for the revo shafts to bolt up

Looks like a cool project, Long time ago I started an XF build. Never did finish it though, actually those axles on bang-on's rig were mine Not sure how he ended up with them, But anyways I look forward to seeing this truck at a future comp.
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Default seling them

Well guys this project has come to an end. I am selling the axles to fund another project. These are killer axles and will make a great rig for someone, just looking like it won't be me. See the B/S/T section.
-andrew