Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > XTM Crawler

Notices

Thread: My first nitro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My first nitro (Updated, BIG EVIL`S BACK!)

Hi, I `m new here an need some help with my x factor 1. This is my first nitro so some of these questions may be pretty stupid but here goes nuthin. When I fire up my truck the dang throttle closes up when I hit the brakes and the engine dies, what`s wrong here? Also, after running fine for about 10 minutes when I gas hard the engine dies, what`s wrong here? I`m wanting to make a nitro crawler/hillclimber with a stock wheelbase out of it and here`s my list of upgrades I have in mind (any help is greatly appriciated):
Lock both diffs
Go to 8 shock setup (Any shocks I should use?)
4 channel radio for 4 wheel steering and to get rid of the R box (any favorite radio types for this?)
Xtm Mammoth steering servos front and rear
Any low gearing options I can find (Any suggestions?)
Jumbo Kong tires on narrowed rims with home made beadlocks
Hardbodyz roll cage (anybody got their site?)
RB innovations supercharger
Heavy duty clutch (where can I get one)
Anything else I should cover?
I am much more used to off roading in real trucks and working on my J truck trail rig so any help is greatly appriciated.

Last edited by RampageFSJ; 06-13-2005 at 08:48 PM.
RampageFSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

From what I can tell it sounds like your low speed and high speed needles need some adjusting. For a clutch I'd recomend the sliding clutch from xtm. It worked great for me and lasted longer than any other clutch I've tried for it.

You may want to check out xtm's site for the x-factor. You'll get alot more response than here since this is a crawling only site and 99.9% of us run electric. Here's the link to xtm's site for the xf.

http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...wforum.php?f=6

Good luck
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

uhh yup say nitro here and you are ****ed. surprised some ass master has bitched about the search feature yet. anyways if you are looking for answers this is the wrong board for you. if you are looking for tom foolery only these yokos can provide then you found the place.

Last edited by Tha Dawg Catcher; 03-25-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Tha Dawg Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Your the only ass master here. Instead of a stupid remark, why don't you try and help?

Nitro has been tried a few times here, and every time the person says Nitro can't crawl. Nitro simply doesn't have enough low end torque to use for crawling. You hit the gas, tranny spools up and it flips out of control. It's either too much power, or not enough. No way to crawl at a slow pace.

Go to the video section and look/search for a vid there that shows exactly what I'm talking about.

here's the thread. watch the video

Nitro X-Factor Vid!!!

and read this

you guys were right..... :(

Last edited by badger; 03-26-2005 at 10:31 AM. Reason: hit the wrong button
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I`ve seen that video. I think I have a good technique down for driving my truck in the rocks even though it has open diffs, today I went out and crawled all over a course that I laid out with bricks (not too extreme, I know) and the only time I got hung up was with open diffs when it got high centered. I`m out to prove people wrong here, and even you guys can`t object to that. And I don`t live anywhere near a competition area so I don`t have to worry about making it an extreme crawler, I`m just going to count on the raw size of the Jumbo Kongs to let me roll over rocks when I feel the need.

Last edited by RampageFSJ; 03-25-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Dawg Catcher
uhh yup say nitro here and you are ****ed. surprised some ass master has bitched about the search feature yet. anyways if you are looking for answers this is the wrong bored for you. if you are looking for tom foolery only these yokos can provide then you found the place.

you have no right telling people this is the wrong board for them. If that was the case, maybe i should tell you that this is not the board for you because you do not know how to type worth a shit and your dumber than a hoe handle. As mentioned in a few other posts around here, if you can not help the person with their problem and since your in the TECH section, you need to STFU

anyway, i would try the low end and high speed needle and turn them to proper adjustments on the carb. Someone should know how many turns each one should be out for the proper break-in. then from there, you can adjust for proper performance. Nitro is really gonna hurt in the torque department, even with changing clutch bells. It has been tried, but not really been as good as electric
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:25 PM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageFSJ
I`ve seen that video. I think I have a good technique down for driving my truck in the rocks even though it has open diffs, today I went out and crawled all over a course that I laid out with bricks (not too extreme, I know) and the only time I got hung up was with open diffs when it got high centered. I`m out to prove people wrong here, and even you guys can`t object to that. And I don`t live anywhere near a competition area so I don`t have to worry about making it an extreme crawler, I`m just going to count on the raw size of the Jumbo Kongs to let me roll over rocks when I feel the need.
yes the open diffs are gonna hurt ya..locked would help alot more

if you can prove people here wrong about nitro, please do so. I had a nitro and couldn't get it geared as low as my current rig. But by all means, go for it
Old 03-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the tuning hints and support. Sadly, I busted my rear driveshaft while making a speed run across the lawn during the fun today, so all of my tuning and test driving will be in front wheel drive until I get a new one . Dang the big block power ! Unbelievably, it did very well for itself on the bricks in front wheel drive.

Last edited by RampageFSJ; 03-25-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92YotaOnRims
yea...my X Factor loved to break drivehshafts...but i found that once one breake and you use only the other...it breaks to...what i did was took the pins out of my MIP Cvds...never broke again...and i judded the shit out of my X Factor...that might be the real good thing nitro is for...muddin...atleast that's all i had fun with
Sorry for my lack of experience but could you explain what you did with the drive shaft a little better ?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:41 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, that`s what broke. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

About the tuning, would that stop the braking problem too?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #12

To set the high and low speed needle valves on an x-factor to the stock break in setting, fully close both valves by turning each adjustment screw clockwise until it stops. Next, back each screw out 3 turns. My XF came with the low speed out 8 turns!! You should also check the idle set screw. If your carb closes when you apply the brakes, you should take off the air filter, hold the carb closed, and turn the idle screw clockwise until you have 1/16" gap. Your instruction mannual has pictures and probably can explain the proceedures better than me. Good luck with your nitro crawler.
ratbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
you do not know how to type worth a shit and your dumber than a hoe handle

pot calling the kettle black, yes thats right pot come in
****ing idiot
Old 03-26-2005, 07:55 AM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
****ing idiot

Listen assmunch. If you would have read my post the right way and not had your head stuck up your ass, you would have seen i said "you do not know how to type worth a shit and YOUR dumber than a hoe handle" it was spelled right. so until you get some braincells and can move up to everyone elses' level here,it's best you STFU. As for you calling me the "****ing idiot", that's really the pot calling the kettle black. So if you like this site, you may want to go back into your corner, sit down and STFU and be a good boy
Old 03-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
****ing idiot
Please redeem yourself from being such a complete loud-mouthed know-nothing idiot. I'd really like to see another crawler up here.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Aww, thanks guys for sticking up for me (I think ) but I have been abused by everything from being drug by a steer to dropping a transfer case on my hand. I don`t mind a little bit of negative reactions. But let me just say this, in the famous words of Hank Williams JR. "WHY CAN`T WE ALL JUST GET A LOOONG NECK?".
Old 03-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageFSJ
Aww, thanks guys for sticking up for me (I think ) but I have been abused by everything from being drug by a steer to dropping a transfer case on my hand. I don`t mind a little bit of negative reactions. But let me just say this, in the famous words of Hank Williams JR. "WHY CAN`T WE ALL JUST GET A LOOONG NECK?".
Its not so much defending you as letting Dog F'er know that his comments are unwelcome. A bit of friendly ribbing here and there is perfectly fine, and encouraged. Trying to be an outright offensive ass is just annoying, moreso when you do poorly at it and just look like an angsty 10 year old pissed off because he has a thin skin.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
"you do not know how to type worth a shit and YOUR dumber than a hoe

again its simple grammatics, you are calling me dumber then a hoe handle as in you are conjugated as such you're not your

your implies ownership. if you are implying i own a dumb hoe handle by no means is that true unless you like being my bitch?
Old 03-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Just give up. Your being an asshole.

Never heard of the word "grammatics" and either has the dictionary.

If you are going to comment on other people's grammar, you could at least try and use proper grammar yourself, including proper punctuation.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #20
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
again its simple grammatics, you are calling me dumber then a hoe handle as in you are conjugated as such you're not your

your implies ownership. if you are implying i own a dumb hoe handle by no means is that true unless you like being my bitch?

well you have done been warned by a few Mods here to just STFU. You are seriously treading on thin ice while wearing golf shoes. I would bet your about to join the band if you keep pushing