RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   1.9 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/)
-   -   Toyota Hilux 4WD build w/Trail Finder Chassis (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/123311-toyota-hilux-4wd-build-w-trail-finder-chassis.html)

rockwood330 06-17-2008 01:07 PM

in what post does it show a better pic of this mob .....thanks

crawleR07 06-23-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddievedder (Post 1228527)
Small progress this morning. I wanted to get the body mounted to make sure ride height was ok and and wheelbase matched up. It is coming along nicely and this chassis is great to work with. Stock Trail Finder Body mounts are WACK!!! Dont match up at all with the Hilux body. They should have put one rear mount for the front (taller) and two front mounts for the rear (shorter) and moved the front mount a bit more towards the front. It still would sit a bit too high with that setup but al least would have matched up a little better. But with some slight tweaking it all worked out.

Still curious if anyone else has suggestions about the leafs that I mentioned in the earlier post? Again this is my first time using leafs and dont want to mangle them up but do want to get some good flex.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm wondering if you are supposed to use the mount piece that sits in the rear well in the box, maybe that would explain the kits tall rear mounts. Tryin to do some leg work on fitting the body since I've been waiting for my Trail Finder for over a month now...

eddievedder 06-25-2008 01:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crawleR07 (Post 1237240)
I'm wondering if you are supposed to use the mount piece that sits in the rear well in the box, maybe that would explain the kits tall rear mounts. Tryin to do some leg work on fitting the body since I've been waiting for my Trail Finder for over a month now...

Mounts match up great for the F350 body. Just not so great for the Hilux body.

Anyway I filled some holes in the body and made some "locking hubs". Still waiting on my rear drive shaft and I did find some OG Bruiser leafs so as soon as they get here I will "chino" them and put them on to replace these stiff ones. Gonna use these leafs on another project so I am going to need to break them in sometime"thumbsup"

super pig 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

sweet truck dude"thumbsup"8):shock::):-P:lol::ror:

crawleR07 06-29-2008 02:23 AM

Hey Eddie what type of body mounts are those that you used on the rear of your truck? They look like they work good. Also if you wouldnt mind telling me how tall your rear mounts are and how tall your front mount spacer is. I like the ride height you have and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

eddievedder 07-03-2008 04:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crawleR07 (Post 1243605)
Hey Eddie what type of body mounts are those that you used on the rear of your truck? They look like they work good. Also if you wouldnt mind telling me how tall your rear mounts are and how tall your front mount spacer is. I like the ride height you have and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rear mount is from a Touareg (XC) and are cut to 3/4" high. front mount has home made spacers and is 2" high.

eddievedder 07-03-2008 04:19 PM

Electrical Problems

OK I am totally going nuts because this truck is a runner(well should be) but I am getting some crazy interference when I try to drive it. I am ok at painting and maybe even building different things but electronics is where i get stumped!!

I tried new batteries in the transmitter. I took all electronics off and tested each one individually and they all work great. I tried changing the location of the receiver and even the esc. I am still getting interference. (interference is mostly when I attempt to go forward, and sometimes reverse. Turning isnt much of a problem) All electronics in this build were used in my ax10 and worked flawlessly. Could it be all the metal components in this truck? (chassis axles etc..) The only time it works fine is when I hold the antennae and drive it at the same time (picture walking a dog on a SHORT leash). Could this be a grounding issue? I am really confused because I have built so many rc cars and trucks and such and never ran into this issue.

Any suggestions???

I know I sound like I dont know what I am talking about and that is because, well I dont really know what I am talking about.

dingaling 07-03-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddievedder (Post 1239512)
Mounts match up great for the F350 body. Just not so great for the Hilux body.

just to make it easier on you, just send the yota body over to me, then you can work with the ford,:lol: its a nice looking build"thumbsup"

akguanja 07-03-2008 06:22 PM

what type of reciever are you running? maybe try getting the antenna off of any metal parts or if you have one maybe a ferrite ring.(hope thats how you spell it) i sometimes get glitches in my helicopters cause the antenna/reciever wires are touching too much carbon fiber so i assume thats your problem.

i usually re route them or insulate them to keep them from glitching. also you dont want the antenna running back and fourth on top of eachother touching itsself either. alot of people take a small peice of plastic and drill holes in 2 rows and run the antena back and fourth into that and use some double sticky tape to mount it keep it from touching anything else.

you might try the double sided tape on the rx back/bottom too depending how you have it mounted to seperate it from the metal frame.

- tre

eddievedder 07-03-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akguanja (Post 1248983)
what type of reciever are you running? maybe try getting the antenna off of any metal parts or if you have one maybe a ferrite ring.(hope thats how you spell it) i sometimes get glitches in my helicopters cause the antenna/reciever wires are touching too much carbon fiber so i assume thats your problem.

i usually re route them or insulate them to keep them from glitching. also you dont want the antenna running back and fourth on top of eachother touching itsself either. alot of people take a small peice of plastic and drill holes in 2 rows and run the antena back and fourth into that and use some double sticky tape to mount it keep it from touching anything else.

you might try the double sided tape on the rx back/bottom too depending how you have it mounted to seperate it from the metal frame.

- tre

Thanks for the input. I have actually tried all of that stuff that you mentioned. Would wrapping electrical tape around the antennae wire insulate it?? I am still stuck here.

Trans/rx are just a regular futaba attack radio and 2 ch am rx. not the greatest but it worked great on my ax10.

eddievedder 07-10-2008 04:19 PM

8 Attachment(s)
It has been a little while since the last update but I did manage to get some work done this past week. I sorted out the electrical problems by countless minutes of trial and error moving/replacing components. Anyway I got the windows/windshield done, interior is about half way there and driver is sporting an RC4WD t-shirt. Color is flat black bed slightly textured and Tamiya Dull Red for the rest. Still needs some detailing but I thought I would post some progress pics. Body and interior are only mocked up for now. Hope to be done soon.

slither302 07-10-2008 06:33 PM

looks good; crawlers look nice on there"thumbsup"

akguanja 07-10-2008 08:27 PM

Great Paintjob!

Dude Looks Awesome! almost what ive imagined for my truck mines the same color as yours! lol just mines gloss...

got to love the look of the 80 yotas...

heres mine check out the thread

Project Alaskan Scaler:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1215667006

- tre

eddievedder 07-10-2008 08:49 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys-

Slither, I tried so many differnt tires on and the Crazy Crawlers really stood out to me. I just hope they perform well. So far on some small test runs they seem great.

akguanja, Your truck is coming along pretty sweet. Love the wheels!

OK a few more hours of detailing and here are pics before I retire for this evening. interior is not done so is not in for these shots.

Still unsure if I want to rock the roll bar... It is in for now but who knows how long.
The pic of the emblem isnt to good but thanks to Stephan and his magic over at Scaleoffroad, I got hooked up with the sweet Hilux 4WD emblems"thumbsup"

Still so much more to be done. Wheel wells, front and rear bumpers and sliders, some scale items and of course finishing the interior/driver, and probably more after that... I am not really a big fan of the huge mirrors so I may make some smaller ones.

This was my first leafed rig and first Toyota and I love the detail on this body"thumbsup" Very cool. Already gathering more parts for my next Toyota build. From trades and stuff I actually now have 3 new Hilux bodies and one original Bruiser body so I definitely will be building a few more of them!

slither302 07-10-2008 09:35 PM

looks good; i like it w/out the roll bar"thumbsup"

Dready 07-11-2008 06:30 AM

Love the paint on that Badboy, I'd lose the roll bar if it were mine in fact send it to me and i'll take it off for you :-)

chino438 07-11-2008 08:19 AM

lookin good bro! maybe one of theses days i will get a trailfinder. i guess you are hooked on the yota's now huh! lol. i got one bruiser hybrid and a k2-5 hilux and want more hilux's:ror:

1BadJeepBruiser 07-11-2008 08:21 AM

Looking good! I am actually partial to roll bars these days, no light bar though. I actually have a new hilux bed from RPP that I am going to swap into the clone in place of the one with the tool box. Dustin ruined my out look in Moab last year when he told me the proportions arent correct, now everytime I look at it, it bugs the shit out of me:lol:

BTW Ill have a Heep Wrangler ready to rock by this weekend, maybe we can get together somewhere and run these things.

-Mike

Nova's Ark 07-11-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddievedder (Post 1256734)
OK a few more hours of detailing and here are pics before I retire for this evening. interior is not done so is not in for these shots.

Still unsure if I want to rock the roll bar... It is in for now but who knows how long.
The pic of the emblem isnt to good but thanks to Stephan and his magic over at Scaleoffroad, I got hooked up with the sweet Hilux 4WD emblems"thumbsup"

Still so much more to be done. Wheel wells, front and rear bumpers and sliders, some scale items and of course finishing the interior/driver, and probably more after that... I am not really a big fan of the huge mirrors so I may make some smaller ones.

This was my first leafed rig and first Toyota and I love the detail on this body"thumbsup" Very cool. Already gathering more parts for my next Toyota build. From trades and stuff I actually now have 3 new Hilux bodies and one original Bruiser body so I definitely will be building a few more of them!

Your Yota looks great! I think the roll bar looks very good and breaks up the look of the long bed. Very nice"thumbsup"

701 Technique 07-11-2008 11:16 AM

Nice build, I really like the paint job with the interior and rolled down window"thumbsup"

where can a guy find that chassis in black? I found the silver version on RC4WD but it says "coming soon"