Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Toyota Hilux 4WD build w/Trail Finder Chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slither302 View Post
looks good; i like it w/out the roll bar
Thanks! I am still 50/50. Not a big fan of the black chrome but it kinda matches the wheels a little bit... I am gonna keep in on for now but I may lose it after this thing is completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
Love the paint on that Badboy, I'd lose the roll bar if it were mine in fact send it to me and i'll take it off for you :-)
Thanks alot, I wasnt sure about the Dull Red at first but I am really liking its 80's look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino438 View Post
lookin good bro! maybe one of theses days i will get a trailfinder. i guess you are hooked on the yota's now huh! lol. i got one bruiser hybrid and a k2-5 hilux and want more hilux's

Thanks man, I have seen yours and they too are sweet Yes i am hooked. Was bitten by the yota bug. Trailfinder chassis isnt perfect but that is what is so fun about this stuff. Being a little challenged by the build and overcoming the obstacles and being creative. My next one will def be a Bruiser chassis leafed all around. I can not wait to start it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadFuFuBerry View Post
Looking good! I am actually partial to roll bars these days, no light bar though. I actually have a new hilux bed from RPP that I am going to swap into the clone in place of the one with the tool box. Dustin ruined my out look in Moab last year when he told me the proportions arent correct, now everytime I look at it, it bugs the shit out of me

BTW Ill have a Heep Wrangler ready to rock by this weekend, maybe we can get together somewhere and run these things.
-Mike
If I keep the roll bar, definitely NO light bar will go on it! And yes when you get your YJ ready to roll, pm me and we can run them together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Your Yota looks great! I think the roll bar looks very good and breaks up the look of the long bed. Very nice
Thanks bro. I do agree with you on the long bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
Nice build, I really like the paint job with the interior and rolled down window

where can a guy find that chassis in black? I found the silver version on RC4WD but it says "coming soon"
Thanks my friend. I am waiting on some things to get the interior done so the driver can spit his gum out of the window!
When you checkout at RC4WD just put in that you want the chassis in black. I did the same when I ordered the axles. They come in silver originally.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

why don't you strip the chrome off the roll bar and paint it flat black so that it goes with the flat paint on the body
slither302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:47 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Quote:
why don't you strip the chrome off the roll bar and paint it flat black so that it goes with the flat paint on the body

You read my mind. I was just looking at it and trying to decide, keep it or not. Then I figured let me at least paint it flat black first then see if I like it.

Thanks bro
Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Default update: Interior

OK a slight update. I put this truck on the back burner to enjoy summer but I am home sick with strep throat and I'll be out sick from work for a few days.:-( So out of shear boredom I started up on the interior. It definitely passed the time today and got me back on track with this truck. I also started on a front wheel well and I now plan to do wheel wells front and rear.

OK here are some pics of the interior and a wheel well teaser.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #45
RCC Addict

OK just a little more progress. Stripped some stuff off the body so I can paint the inside black. Should have done this the first time around before painting the outside!!!!

Pics of wheel wells:
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #46
RCC Addict

OK finished the wheel wells up font and installed the interior. I had so many electrical glitches with this truck at first I never really got to enjoy it. Still glitches a bit though but I did run a half charged battery through it so I guess this was the initial run! It really handles very scale

I am going to get another can of Tamiya dull red and spray the lower valance on the front to match the body, just not liking how it sticks out in black.

A few action shots. Last two are a bit blurry.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #47
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

It just keeps getting better and better. Very nice Hilux
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

great looking truck time to switch over to a spektrum
Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
It just keeps getting better and better. Very nice Hilux
Thanks a lot! I really enjoyed building this one.

Quote:
great looking truck time to switch over to a spektrum
HaHa... Yeah it is still very glitchy. I will get 4 or 5 min of no glitches and I think "wow it has solved itself" then bam!!!! glitch city for a minute or 2.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

What did you make those wheel wells out of? I need to do something similar on a couple of my builds.
Truck looks great!
OlYelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #51
RCC Addict

X2 on the wheelwells man..!! What did you make them out of..?? They look AWESOME..!!!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYelr View Post
What did you make those wheel wells out of? I need to do something similar on a couple of my builds.
Truck looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
X2 on the wheelwells man..!! What did you make them out of..?? They look AWESOME..!!!!
Thanks guys! And prepare to be shocked as I will reveal my secret

I bought this a while back on ebay and I actually got it cheap. Payed less than $30 with shipping!

I never did build anything out of it but I did strip it of its parts and it actually has a decent interior and side mirrors and other stuff. One other thing it had that I thought were useless at the time until I dug them out the other day was, wheel wells. I was going to toss them out then I held them up to the yota body and it was a pretty good match size wise. With a little tweaking and a little bit of added styrene they were a great fit. One good thing is that they are one piece and solid with the exception of the little added styrene. Bolted on to the chassis and they are solid baby and ready to rock!
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Looking good!
Nice touch with the rolled down window.
Is that body colour orange or brown?
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryder View Post
Looking good!
Nice touch with the rolled down window.
Is that body colour orange or brown?
Thanks Man! The color is neither brown or orange, but it is Tamyia Dull Red. But I guess maybe it is brown orange and red cuz thats what it looks like. Looks much better in person.

OK so I am starting from scratch with electronics. Keeping the 45t integy but the wheel speed was too slow so I installed a 20 tooth pinion and now it is perfect. Still very glitchy though. I am running a simple futaba attack radio and futaba rx and the esc is a futaba mc230cr which ran flawlessly on my ax10 but now it is all crazy!!!

Any suggestions on elec setups without killing my wallet?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Got a pic of the body off to see how the electrics are fitted?
I use a TQ3 radio with different speedos with no problems
Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Got a pic of the body off to see how the electrics are fitted?
I use a TQ3 radio with different speedos with no problems
Per your request

I hope I can figure this out soon cuz when it is not glitchy it is a blast to drive...
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

i say seperate the esc and receiver; maybe put one near the back body post area. make sure antenna isn't all crimped up either. not sure on this but maybe leave the antenna uncovered?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Is the antenna coiled round something? it shouldnt be touching itself.
Also check that no smaller wires are touching the motor or battery wires.
Did you put any capacitors on the motor?

Last edited by ruffryder; 08-27-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
i say seperate the esc and receiver; maybe put one near the back body post area. make sure antenna isn't all crimped up either. not sure on this but maybe leave the antenna uncovered?
I will try to seperate them. I did have the antenna uncovered and it glitches less with the elec tape on it. not crimped though just wrapped around a piece of laxan.

Quote:
Is the antenna coiled round something? it shouldnt be touching itself.
Also check that no smaller wires are touching the motor or battery wires.
Did you put any capacitors on the motor?
Antenna definitely doesnt touch itself but is wrapped around lexan. No caps on motor. Gonna try a few things tonite switching stuff around again.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #60
RCC Addict

i made trays for the electronics. still need to mount up the winch and light dontrol relay, but as you can see there is still plenty of room

emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote