Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sgtsteve's Class 1 H2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Sgtsteve's Class 1 H2

Hello fellow scaler fans. I started gathering parts for this a couple months ago and have just about everything I need to get it running. Now its time for fab work so her are a few pictures to get it started. If the title confuses you let me explain. I wanted to do a Cherokee XJ build for a while now but didn’t care for any of the interior options out there. Being that I am not very good at styrene I was on a mission to find a detailed interior that would fit the body. My friend Patrick of LockedUPRC.com happened to have several H2’s for sale so I bought one and ripped out the interior. Low and behold it’s a near perfect fit. Below are a few pics showing how well it lines up and how its length is near perfect. As the pictures will show, the only trimming you need to do to make it fit is on the sides, the door sills if you will (marked with yellow lines). Trimming these down a little will allow the body to sit down over the interior perfectly.

Body – for now – Proline Jeep Cherokee XJ – I say for now because after looking at the H2 up close and personal I was blown away at how detailed and solid it is. I haven’t actually started trimming the interior yet because in the back of my mind I keep picturing it on my chassis, with the new Locked UP RC wheels I’m getting for it and thinking it might just end up being an H2 build, which I have always liked.

SCX-10 chassis

Axial tranny (no slipper kit from Locked UP RC) 87t spur 17t pinion for now.

Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Pro Hand wound brushed motor – 25t

3s 1000-1300mah batteries – not sure which size to get, really depends on how everything fits.

Tekin FXR - Need to get my FXR fixed or just order a new.

Tires are the RC4WD Mickey Thompson MTZ’s in the new SS compound.

Axial CVD’s with stock SCX-10 hexes.

UD gears in the rear - soon

Hitec 7954SH servo (over 400oz)

Locked UP RC RTR Servo Winch – comes with some top of the line parts (MadDogRc winch hook, Ripper Aluminum spool from WarPig, 80lb test scale winch line and new HV controller from HeyOK. I should have this in in a couple days and will do a full write up when I get it

Cherokee body trimmed up

Pics of the H2 interior (which are now sold separately on Locked UP’s site)
H2 Interior under the Proline Cherokee body

The sides to be trimmed, which will bring the interior up to the proper height.

I am in the process of fitting the interior to the chassis now and documenting it as I go. So far its been a really simple process so I hope to have it posted up soon

Last edited by sgtsteve; 03-11-2012 at 10:33 PM.
sgtsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Re: Sgtsteve's Class 1 XJ/H2

That IS a nice fit.

I'm going to have to find some more SUV bodies to try that interior in...
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sgtsteve's Class 1 XJ now H2

For a while now I have been planning on this being a Cherokee build. However, once I got the H2 body in my hands and felt how solid it was, along with all the fantastic detail and the fact that I always really liked the body, I decided to use it instead. My focus with this build is to keep it as clean as possible but still strong.

So far I have the rear bumper made up and just needs a little adjusting to fit perfect. I like the factory shape of it, but worried about getting hung up on the rocks and needed tow points so I did this:

Still need to round off the tops of the tow points

Underside of the bumper.

For the front bumper I really wanted to keep as much as I could. I trimmed the bottom 1/3 off and will add a metal bumper under it that will just barely stick out underneath, to protect it.

For interior and body mounting I found it pretty easy. Using body posts, couple custom mounts and a little trimming it fits great.

Rear mount - 2nd pic shows how I trimmed the shock hoops but dont show the body post mounts.

Front mount

Interior trimming

CMS setup, came out really good in my opinion.

Still need to mount the electronics and servo winch, which is the RTR Servo Winch from LockedUPRC.com. I will get a review of it done this weekend

Servo winch and MadDogRC hook which comes with it along with 80lb synthetic line and HV Heyok controller (secured in the servo case).

Close up of hook and aluminum spool

Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Looks good Steve.

I really like how you did the front bumper too.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Looks good Steve.

I really like how you did the front bumper too.
Thank you Patrick.

I was able to fab up a front bumper that should protect things pretty well.

Also got a temporary battery and electronics mount made up along with a servo winch mount at the rear. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to get a guide made up for the line so it will have to wait till next weekend.

Battery on the lower level, electronics up top. Once I get the sliders done I plan on mounting the batteries on top of those like I did the JK to get that COG down low. On that note, since the space between the “future sliders” and bottom of the interior is shallow, I think I might have to go with 2s batteries. Since I will have 2 of them on board, I might as well go with a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL and wire the batts in series for 4s power! Just a thought.

Had to redo the front mount due to the bumper mounting but I think it came out really good and clean.

After next weekend’s comp I plan to redo the front and rear bumper, typical.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sgtsteve's Class 1 H2

Little update..ordered some parts from Lockeduprc.com on Monday, got them yesterday First off, excellent shipping and great packaging as always Patrick:thumbsup:

2 Robotronic Aluminum Servo arm's (dual clamp design) - 1 for the JK and the other for the H2.
1 Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL waterproof version - got this to support the 4s battery power I plan on using
1 RC4WD Aluminum Fairlead
1 6" Scotty figure to drive the H2 (not pictured but can be seen in the link)
And best of all, STICKERS!!!!

Few more parts I want to order, some for aesthetics, other for performance like UD gears which should be in soon. I dont have a picture yet of the redesigned front bumber but will have one up soon. I plan on making the skid plate/battery holders this weekend along with an electronics storage space which is gonna be tough with the winch servo mounted up front now:eek2: Pics to come...
Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Finally some good updates.
First off, ordered up some 2s 1300mah lipos from hobbyking (USA) warehouse on monday and got them yesterday! At just over $4 a piece, I couldnt be happier. They will be wired up in series for 4s power. My main concern with batts was going to be where to put them. I wanted them on top of the sliders for several reasons but space was a major concern. I had approx 18mm of thickness to play with and these were listed at 15mm. Turns out they are under 10mm so thats perfect.

Now the sliders. Made from thick angle and flat steel, welded together and now painted. I wanted a really clean simple look so no tubes on these. You can barely make them out once they are mounted and that was the point.

Also figured out how to mount the servo winch up front along with the electronics. They all fit real snug and only the reciever needs waterproofing as I opted for the waterproof version of the HH BR-XL. I also wired in a CC BEC with a micro deans plug so if I feel I need to use I can just plug it in. I also plan to wire in a micro deans plug to the servo winch in case I decide to run it straight off the bec and just run the servo of the receiver power (6v thanks to the HH BR-XL). Also got the front wheel wells most done. I still need to get the top part figured out.

Here you can also see how I redid the front bumper and mounted the RC2WD aluminum fairlead. Clean and simple, just like I wanted.

Driver is ready go! Also made an antenna that still needs to be painted. Its as close to scale in length as I could figure based on a 1:1 H2 I saw the other day.

Got 6 LED's in there now, 4 up front and 2 in the rear. They were the brightest I could find but dont look to bright to me. Its probably a combonation of old/weak 9v battery and thick, textured plastic lenses. Either way, I really like the way they came out. No pics, its just light! I do still plan on mounting up Axial light buckets on the brush gaurd like Patrick did but havent gotten around to it yet.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

That looks good, it's almost as if I've seen a H2 like this before...

Oh wait, I have, mine lol:

My body mounts are pretty much the same way too, that was the most solid way I found to mount it without body posts sticking through. I need to make some new sliders for it though.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Lockeduprc should pay you for referals. I never knew they sold stuff like that, and now I do. Another good place to get my scale stuff! H2 is looking good!
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

H2 looks good Bacon

I probably will end up redoing my sliders at some point to make them less prominent. For now though, they hold my batts and give me a way to fill in some fender wells.

Slider with velcro to hold the batteries along with underside of interior holds them really well. These are also 1300mah 2s so they are very light.

Ive also been testing some new winch line from Lockeduprc.com and so far its been flawless. I like the colors and I dont see this stuff breaking or fringing to easly.

Here it is on the H2

You can find it here half way down the page.

Last edited by sgtsteve; 06-20-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Not much of an update really but I did want to show off the new Locked Up Rc scale wheel hubs. The hubs look and work beautifully! You can see all the available hubs here

Rear Hub

Last edited by sgtsteve; 07-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkfan223 View Post
sick looking hummer never seen a hummer rc before thats awesome!!! great work very clean rig
Appreciate it Hawkfan, got my inspiration from Patrick (Locked Up) and his wheels I think just make this truck over the top, in my opinion. Lots of scale detail, clean, not to flashy, just right!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkfan223 View Post
yes it is very clean not to flashy like it alot! by the way how you like those locked up rc wheels? been seeing them on rigs all over this forum im new to this scaler stuff still buying stuff for my first build cant wait
Even if I wasnt a team driver I would use them. Patricks goal is to provide a wheel that is not only very scale (realistic) but performs just as well and at a competitive cost. I think the TR rings on the JK are a perfect fit, again, not too flashy but realistc and tough as nails. The ones on the H2 are just the same, very clean but super tough. All his wheels are super easy to mount tires to as well, couldnt be happier with them I would bet that if you buy a set you would probably hold on to them for a long time.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Are you sure this isnt an add for Locked Up Rc? EVERYTHING you used is from there. Seriously though really nice rig. One of the best hummers I have seen. I have a question as it is a bit confusing on the site. Are the wheels sold as 1 or as a pair? I am assuming it is 1 wheel for the price they are asking.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Are you sure this isnt an add for Locked Up Rc? EVERYTHING you used is from there. Seriously though really nice rig. One of the best hummers I have seen. I have a question as it is a bit confusing on the site. Are the wheels sold as 1 or as a pair? I am assuming it is 1 wheel for the price they are asking.
Alot of this truck and my Class 2 JK were built using parts I picked up from Locked Up Rc. He is a great vendor and either carries or makes high qualtiy, top of the line products.

The price you see is for one wheel. If you want 4 or 5 be sure to update your cart accordingly. Same goes with the rings
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Long time no update, and this isnt a big update really.

After having destroyed approx 6 spur gears in as many events I decided to upgrade to 32p. Its going to be louder but alot stronger and the weak point will still be the spur, which is still alot cheaper than drive train. I should the parts in this week and will post up how they go on.

I also got the H2 rewired for last weekends awesome GTG and although it may not look alot cleaner, it is compared to what it was.

Finally got those batteries in, and got them set up on Deans. I am suprised by how long my 1300mah 2s packs lasted in series (4s), I would estimate 30-40 minutes of solid crawling with a few spurts of horsepower thrown in to cover Tommy in slimey fungus crap Im hoping these 1800mah packs last around an hour or more, I got 6 of them, so that should cover me for 3 solid hours

Also finally got my passenger installed. Used zipties to hold them in and was able to make them look like standard seat belts.

I was lucky enough to also get a sampling of the new Acorn style nuts from LockedUpRC.com.

Stock photo - hopefully will get these mounted this weekend.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Sorry no pics, but I am finally gonna give a little TLC to this rig. Just ordered up a set of Vanquish VVD's and some nice VP-Pro tools (phillips head, 5.5 and 7.5 hex socket wrenches.

Havent had any problems with the axial cvd's but I fear one day they will let go and should provide a little more piece of mind. I also believe the steering angle is a touch better with these. VANQUISH AX-10/SCX10 HEAVY DUTY AXLE SHAFTS

Here is the 5.5mm socket driver to give you an idea of the quality.

My plans include re-doing the skid plates similarly to how Patrick's H2 and Tommy's recent Jeep build are done. I also plan to braze in shock hoops, push the front axle out about 1/4" and lower the truck about 1/8" to help get the tires to tuck in a bit more for better scale appearance. Even though we seem to mainly be doing trail runs and such I expect this rig to be as compitition capable as possibe while still keeping a clean look.

All the parts and tools posted here were purchased at LockedUPRc.com, check 'em out
Old 03-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Finally got the new SUT style body done and mounted. Just need to make new sliders, finish little details, and she will be ready for the SW Scale Nats

Build up of the body here

Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Nice!

We need to get you a better photo setup.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Nice!

We need to get you a better photo setup.

I need lighting!

Sgtsteve's Class 1 H2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USRCCA Class 1 - Super Class - Cut N Shut Tire Catalog Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 32 01-29-2023 05:10 AM
SgtSteve's Class 2 JK sgtsteve 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 07-28-2012 03:33 PM
USRCCA Class 3 - 1.9 Class - Cut N Shut Tire Catalog Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 5 11-27-2011 10:52 AM
Colorado Comp #5...........Super Class and 2.2 Class Videos BENDER Videos! 37 06-06-2007 07:46 PM