Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: JK build to match my 1:1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default JK build to match my 1:1

Well, it has been a long road to get to where I am with the 1:10 scale version of my 1:1.

I started off about a year and a half ago when I got a ready to run SCX-10 Honcho with extras in trade for an XR-10 kit that I picked up for $100. When I picked it up, it had a level3 lift kit, 110mm shocks, 2.2's, and integy drive shafts, so needless to say... there was a lot to do. I brought it back to stock configuration, (driveshafts, shocks, tires, wheels) and it performed insanely better than before.

Then it was time for some minor upgrades and really high on my list was tires, so I picked up 1.9 IROK's and some scale accessories. Then last October, I bought a 2012 JK Unlimited and I decided that I had to build a crawler version of it. I hunted around for a couple months before finally getting my hands on one of the New Bright JK bodies and slowly started building it up.
I made the links out of allthread covered in brakeline, brazed on my own shock towers, and sliders.

Then I stopped building for a long while to work on Showtime. A couple weeks ago, I started back up with this project; I started with building an interior roll cage to match the 1:1 style. I also attempted a while ago to make a soft top for it and it came out terrible, so I redesigned it from the ground up. Then I built a stinger modeled after the Poison Spyder stinger. Anyways, enough of the banter, here's the stuff that I have done to it.

Here is my 1:1 for reference

The cage taking shape

The soft top frame almost finished fit on the body

The soft top frame finished and test fit on the whole rig

The electronics/body mounting plates after getting welded in but missing their velcro

Right after I finished the stinger

And the final product (minus a windshield)

I have been waiting for a LONG time to be able to take this photo!

Thanks for looking! Any comments, ideas, and questions are very welcome!
Numbcrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: JK build to match my 1:1

That softtop looks slick man! Great start! sweet lookin 1:1 too! The only thing kinda catchin my eye is the brown rings, kinda throwin it off for me :P otherwise this is really slick!
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2hill View Post
That softtop looks slick man! Great start! sweet lookin 1:1 too! The only thing kinda catchin my eye is the brown rings, kinda throwin it off for me :P otherwise this is really slick!
I agree, those stock axial wheels and rings have got to go. I'll pick up some new ones soon I think cause they bother me too. I was thinking of putting the RC4WD 1.55 invader tires on it cause they match the 1:1 but I don't know if they would look too small or not. Anyways, thanks for the compliments man!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Great likeness! Just need a stinger on your 1:1 now! ;)
southcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcrawler View Post
Great likeness! Just need a stinger on your 1:1 now! ;)
Once the Air Force starts paying me more I'll get one lol. It's only $375 for the Poison Spyder BFH Stinger, but there is always something else that takes priority lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Whats your AFSC? I'm at Kirtland...nice frame on the JK.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Whats your AFSC? I'm at Kirtland...nice frame on the JK.
3E6X1 - Civil Engineering Operations Management. What about you? I am leaving for Misawa in June next year, so we'll have to have a get together before that
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I suppose I should also post up with what all it has in it.
-SCX-10 chassis/skid/tranny/axles/wheels/servo
-RC4WD 1.9 IROK's
-RC4WD 100mm scale shocks
-Tekin FXR/35t Combo
-Newbright JK body

I have to say, the RC4WD shocks were one of the best upgrades I've put in this rig. With the weight of the rig they sit at about 2/3's droop and work fantastic.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well, I suppose the Mods should move this over to the 1.55 forum cause this is now a 1.55 rig. I picked up some 1.55 steelies in trade and bought some RC4WD Invaders (They look just like the goodyear duratracs that are on my 1:1). I also picked up a Killer Transfer Case and an RC4WD Disrupter II planetary transmission for it so those should be in by the end of the week.

Sorry for the kind of dark pic, I'll put up a better one tomorrow
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well, I was gonna wait till the weekend to do the tranny and transfer case, but I got bored this evening so I went ahead and mounted it all up. I had to cut one drive shaft down to nearly nothing but it works for the linkage between the tranny and t-case. It's running an MIP shaft in the rear, I'll put the front MIP in tomorrow.

These are the tabs, they need a little more clean up, but they are better than they were in this photo

Here's a pic of the driveline, it works like a dream with this set up

Here's a better shot of the tires on it.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #11
ahhh S^*T

wow your right. those invaders DID in fact set if off! this rig looks really nice now! i just wish you didnt hack the fenders off the front..... but hey Im sure you have plans.!!

jeeps are my thing and this one has my attention for sure

keep up the good work, Im thinking this one will not stop anytime soon! your hooked. welcome
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialJeepster View Post
wow your right. those invaders DID in fact set if off! this rig looks really nice now! i just wish you didnt hack the fenders off the front..... but hey Im sure you have plans.!!

jeeps are my thing and this one has my attention for sure

keep up the good work, Im thinking this one will not stop anytime soon! your hooked. welcome
Thanks for the kind words and even more for the killer tires!

Yeah, just like the 1:1, it'll never be finished. The front fenders aren't completely gone, just flat fendered like my 1:1. I still have to sand them down a little bit and build some fenderwells.

I'll take a photo of it this afternoon, but on my real soft top I have a Poison Spyder sticker on the rear window, and I found one on my wraith sticker sheet that I put on the soft top on this too. I also tinted the windows of the soft top. I used actual window tint for cars wich was pretty hard to get on the vinyl but it came out sweet. Now if only I could find a tiny little American flag sticker for the soft top and some wing mirrors.

So much to do! My goal is to have it finished (very loose term) before I move to Japan in June.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

how do you like the invaders?
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The invaders are sweet man, I definitely dig them a lot. With the weight of this rig they compress nicely and get good traction. I like how they proportionally fit this rig as well. I lost a good bit of ground clearance with them, but it was worth for the more scale look
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbcrawling View Post
The invaders are sweet man, I definitely dig them a lot. With the weight of this rig they compress nicely and get good traction. I like how they proportionally fit this rig as well. I lost a good bit of ground clearance with them, but it was worth for the more scale look
kool, thanks. im considering them when i get my honcho. im going to be getting duratracs for my 1:1 cherokee. and my build is basically going to be a replica also.
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATALLYILL View Post
kool, thanks. im considering them when i get my honcho. im going to be getting duratracs for my 1:1 cherokee. and my build is basically going to be a replica also.
You'll love them on your 1:1 for sure. They are a fantastic tire! They will suit you well on both rigs for sure man

I reckon on this thing I will need a new radio soon. And a new servo. And a BEC. It's getting a little glitchy and it's bugging me but my radio's are old and have been dropped, and generally beaten to chit so that's likely the next step for this thing. For now this and Showtime have to share a tx and rx but it's not that bad.

Tags
jeep jk, newbright jk

JK build to match my 1:1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep Yj to match my 1:1 4x4boy 1.9 Scale Rigs 24 08-12-2012 07:24 PM
another hilux build to match my 1:1 4x4yota 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 01-06-2011 01:25 PM
Honcho Build Shock Length Problem. No Match up??? WrenchHead Axial SCX-10 4 02-08-2010 10:29 PM
match up chbronco Tamiya Clod Buster 0 10-07-2009 09:45 PM
Silverado SS build up to match my 1:1 GeneralG 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 08-27-2008 04:19 PM