Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scrappy the Wonder Jeep (PIC HEAVY!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Scrappy the Wonder Jeep (PIC HEAVY!)

So I used to own a Jeep TJ and I loved it. Life happened and I had to sell it. During my ownership, my Jeep went from an unassuming stock '03 TJ Sport to a pretty capable weekend rig on a long arm lift and 33's. I had big plans for it that were never realized. I wanted to build it into "Scrappy The Wonder Jeep 2.0." In 2006, Four Wheeler Magazine featured a 4 cyl TJ on stock axles that boasted a Avenger Supercharger and 37" BFG Krawlers.
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ - Scrappy The Wonder Jeep - Jp Magazine

Never having completed the build of my 1:1 has bothered me for years now. So in the last few weeks I have picked up a couple SCX10 chassis's and figured Id give it a go. I picked up a New Bright body on the cheap from eBay. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I took a hardtop from an old Tamiya YJ that I had laying around and cut/chopped/and rebuilt it. I had some chrome 1.9s laying around for another project that I thought were close enough to Scrappy's wheels to merit their use on this rig. The fisrt day of styrene work went fast when the body got here so not many pics until the first mock up....

Next, I added some styrene rod to the front plat fenders and built up the grille on the backside.

I managed to turn the stock SCX tranny around to make enough room inside the cabin for a passable interior without modifying the chassis.

Got the wheelbase shortened to 10.75 by shortening the rear links and drive shaft. Then trimmed off excess from the frame rails and took a couple shots before prepping for any paint.....

Next I did a half door chop and modified an Axial Wrangler roll bar set along with a modified roll bar from a wall mart crawler to complete a cage for the interior and re-purposed the bed cover from the same wal mart crawler to cover the bed for now....

After recessing the tail lights and doing the door chop, I hit the Jeep with some filler primer to aid in sanding......

I ordered some RC4WD 1.9 Rock Crushers for this project to match the BFG Krawlers that were on Scrappy. They arrived today and after some filling and sanding on the body and a little white paint (to help locate some finer low and high spots) I mocked up the wheels and tires for some progress shots...

Tomorrow I hope to get the first color coat on it. Im planning on shooting it in Tamiya PS-13 which I have used before in this type of application with good results. After it is cured Ill hit it with a couple coats of clear and see where we stand.

Hope you guys have enjoyed my little Scrappy build! Updates when I get them....
03NCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scrappy the Wonder Jeep (PIC HEAVY!)

Looks awsome!!!!! Don't see many like it
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sweet!
floundern45rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very cool Tj! I love that the low slung flexy stance. I have a few of these bodies and will doing one up for my oldest daughter when she gets a bit more control with her driving. Bravo on the build so far
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I love me a good Jeep build. The stance is perfect.
DaddyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Very cool!
ecd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. A little progress today. First coat of paint. Bodywork isn't perfect but I plan on wheeling it so it wouldn't have been perfect for long anyway...
Old 10-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That looks great, the 1.1 has been one of my favorite jeeps for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Barrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I got a request on another forum to show more detail on the link setup I used. So today I went from Mock-up to final and took some pictures.
So, I redid my links today from mockup to final draft lol. I like the rear pinion angle much better. Wheelbase is the same as mockup, but I lengthened the top links anout a quarter inch and shortened the lowers about a quarter inch. This kept the wheelbase the same but clocked the pinion up to compensate for the short driveshaft. I used aluminum tubing and large all-thread, about twice the diameter of stock aluminum links, so I had to drill the ball joint ends out a little. I also decided to replace the front lowers for a little added strength and continuity I hope the pics help.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Still waiting on the paint my semi-local hobby shop didnt have in stock..... Had to order it from FleaBay and its still not here.... Anyway, I did a styrene rod mockup of the front bumper. Its not perfect but it will get me in the ballpark when the time comes to bend brakeline....... I need the paint to finish off the bodywork which includes the rocker guards and what not. Still trying to decide if it would look better with the tonneau cover or should I build a styrene cooler and tool box to cover the shocks/hoops in the bed and give it that open bed feel????

Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So, I decided to go ahead and do the drop "DROP" bed and lose the tonneau cover. So I cut out a section of styrene for the floor and two pieces for the cabs bulkhead. Going off of the 1:1 Scrappy, the only pic of the back I could see to base the build off of, I can see there is a RCI fuel cell near the bulkhead/cab and a flip top cooler. I decided to use one of the axial fuel cell pieces and build a cell from styrene to put in the bed. Then I decided to use the cooler to cover the driver side rear shock tower. I made the top function and added a false bottom so that I can add drink cans and ice later on. I think I will build a tool box of some sort to cover the other tower but I ran out of day...... on to the pics...

Old 10-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on the cooler^
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Got the other shock cover fabbed up and in position. It and the cooler are rough draft now but look WAY better than shock hoops IMO....

Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I'm digging it! Always love a TJ.
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 View Post
I'm digging it! Always love a TJ.
Thanks man, Im still waiting on my paint to finish..... eBay irritates me sometime....of course so does not having a local hobby shop....
Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Got some work done today.... I started by putting a handle on my tool box and painting it black....

I had stopped by Micheal's today and picked up some paint and things as well.... Im waiting on my "ice" but now I have some sodas and a painted cooler....

I finished painting interior and exterior so I threw the fuel cell, cooler, and tool box in the bed...

Along with finishing paint, I added about a quarter inch to the bottom of the body and added rockerguards.....

I hope to get some outdoor pics tomorrow, night time inside shots dont do it justice.......
Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

So you guys are probably tired of seeing this thing by now but every time I think Im done for the day I go back to it.
This evening I added the ice to my cooler to keep my drinks on the chill.... drinks and ice are held in with elmers white glue that dries clear so when I roll I dont lose my goods lol.....

After the details were nailed down I robbed all the electronics off of my big Bronco (stock SCX10 Currie Edition stuff) and slammed it into her so I can go crawl for a bit tomorrow........

Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

My plans to go crawl were spoiled by rain and fog..... I did say I was going to try get some day time pics though.
I dug out my old micro crawler course and threw it in the kitchen floor to get some video. Its not super great video but at least you can see how she works untuned.... Im actually pleasantly surprised... Dont be too rough on her, she is new...

Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Working on some mirrors and have the license plates on the way but she is all but done...

Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Man did this turn out awsome!!!!!! Really diggin the whole build
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Scrappy the Wonder Jeep (PIC HEAVY!) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1:20 Jeep WJ leafer build (PIC HEAVY) fatsachs Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 02-08-2015 10:56 PM
The Family Jeep build (Pic Heavy) Axial95 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 2 11-27-2013 07:13 PM
WK Jeep Cherokee (pic heavy) dkchance74 HPI Wheely King 6 05-29-2011 05:25 PM