Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Fj40 on narrowed wraith axles chop chop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 02:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Fj40 on narrowed wraith axles chop chop

So I had this pair of wraith axles I had no use for aanymore and a Tamiya cruiser body from a retired project and decided they would go well together . Another thing I really wanted was some sort of hydro steer look alike set up on the front axle and to hide the steering servo so here is the start to the rig I am going to run for this season . It should be a gooder

Let's get onto a few pics

So I cut 1 1/8 out of the front housing flipped the diff to a Chevy passenger side pumpkin and built a heavy front axle truss to add weight down low and to support the fake ram set up. What I used for the ram was an axial aluminum link a small piece of hard steel tube that I found in a box of scrap that fit over link with a little wiggle room. This gave me the look I wanted here is a few pics of what I am talking about

Decided to mount my shocks on top of the axle instead of fighting the tires rubbing them in the stock mounting potion. since I have 50 degrees of turning with the axial uni's up front I didn't want the shocks to get in the tires way. Plus it is going to be a fairly heavy rig and the wider shock stance will give it much needed stability. Here's a few pics of the front axle all dressed

[URL=http://s124.photobucket.com/user/RodamisPrime/media/fj40%20pick%20up/20150313_154251_zpsqmzuefte.jpg.html][IMG]
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2015, 02:59 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Fj40 on narrowed wraith axles chop chop

Old 03-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Built up a small heavy skid to keep so extra weight down low and mounted up the axles to it . Used some plastic twin hammers rear trailing arms and decided it was getting an ultra4 rear suspension with sway bar . Built the rear axle for it and decided that I wanted the pumpkin as close to the tire as possible so when I narrowed it I cut 9/16 of an inch from each side off the ends . Modifying ar60 axles is stupid simple . Cutting and making new flat spots on the axle shafts is easy as well but what I do recommend is using a locker that has set screws to lock the axle shafts in. If you did this mod with stock shafts or even the uni's where your new flat spots are made the shift diameter is smaller then factory. So I used vanquish lockers to tighten up the slop . Let see some pics already right !!!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I started working on the body at first I didn't have a plan or a body to use. I was going to make a cage that looked like an exo cage of a pick up cab and then that's when the fj40 body called out to me . The body was from a dead project and was just sitting there . Here is the start to a full cage

Threw some more bent rod at the cab and ended up with this style . I am not copying a certain rig just a collaboration of stuff I have seen and liked in the past .
Old 03-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Just a little more tube work done to it having a hard time deciding what to do with the lower rear tube work and how it will tie in with the back of the cab

Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Looks good! I dig all the fab work. please keep the updates coming. By the way...did you make the frame building jig or is it something you picked up?
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Great fab work!
simp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Looks good! I dig all the fab work. please keep the updates coming. By the way...did you make the frame building jig or is it something you picked up?
Thanks the pin table helps with keeping stuff where it's supposed to stay while I weld out the basic structure. I made that pin table it works pretty good . Pm me for more details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp View Post
Great fab work!
Thanks much appreciated. Working on the grill hoops right now . Trying to come up with something unique but that's hard to do with all the cool custom work going on these days.check in I will be posting every second day or so till its complete
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

That truss is very Frankenstein man, I like it! Good job on the steering ram that is sweet. Also props on that jig table...very handy I bet.
kranswall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

In. Thanks.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Finished what will be the final front front push bar and popped the grill into the body to detail the pics to give you a better idea on what it will look like . On to the pictures

That's all for now . Started getting the skid ready to mount to the cage so I can finish the lower section on the cage to clear the drive train. Thanks for all the likes and keep watching

Last edited by Rodamis; 03-21-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

This is one nice rig nice work to
rjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Wow! Sick skills and build! If i could build a FJ this is how i would do it!

Cant wait to see it finished!
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwalker View Post
This is one nice rig nice work to
Thanks rjwalker the body came from a rig I built that looked just like yours except on a gelande2 chassis that I got bored with lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylar View Post
Wow! Sick skills and build! If i could build a FJ this is how i would do it!
Cant wait to see it finished!
Thanks much appreciated. Stay tuned for more
Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Amazing "hydro" steering! I'm looking forward to testing and results!
MIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Love it. Looks awsome. I built a faux hydro system a while back on a set of wraith axles very similar to yours. I had a heck of a time with the akerman though. With the sliding link it would cause the outside wheel to always turn sharper than the inside wheel. I tried several knuckle arms and angles.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Stock length axles
Attached Images

looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

[QU OTE =MIKO; 8d05]A mazing "hydro" steering! I'm looking forward to testing and results![/QUOTE]
Thanks . I think it will work perfectly once I finish making a new bell crank
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin82310
Love it. Looks awsome. I built a faux hydro system a while back on a set of wraith axles very similar to yours. I had a heck of a time with the akerman though. With the sliding link it would cause the outside wheel to always turn sharper than the inside wheel. I tried several knuckle arms and angles.
looneybin that's a sweet looking bouncer . I found that the farther out my ram was the worse the inside tire would understeer thats why mine is on top of the axle . If i Pulled the ram closer to the center of the axle it actually lessens that problem even more. All the 1:1 pictures I looked at had the ram set farther back so I worked off that.

Last edited by Rodamis; 03-22-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Got a little more done . Welded the skid to the cage put the lower front tube work in . Everything up front clears nicely . Will be working the front shock towers now

J
Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Built a simple transfer case Mount, a simple motor plate and starting the mount for servo soon as I post these pics . Feel free to comment or ask questions

Fj40 on narrowed wraith axles chop chop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Rap Chop" featuring Vince from ShamWOW (Slap Chop remix) wrx-n-ktm Chit Chat 5 04-29-2009 08:40 AM
CC-01 chop marmech 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 01-22-2009 08:46 PM