Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: jebster's half track lcc mog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: jebster's half track lcc mog

Wow, there's a ton of imagination and skill being shown here! That is an awesome build. Very outside the box. Very well done.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Wow, there's a ton of imagination and skill being shown here! That is an awesome build. Very outside the box. Very well done.
Thanks for the feedback. I do like just being creative with these builds.

Finally got the winch installed and wired up. Calibrated the ESC to the radio and fired it up. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a lot of pulling power given the reduction the worm drive would provide but it really lacks power. I can get it to stall without much effort. I'm guessing the 380 sized brush less motor I'm using just doesn't have enough muscle. The gearbox, spool and mounts are all working great. I wanted to avoid a 540 sized motor sitting on this but that may have to be a future upgrade.

Still more finishing work to go so I'll have to address this later.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

One other thing I noticed that I'm not sure how to handle. When the rig is running and I turn the wheel it causes the whole chassis to tilt the opposite way. It is enough to actual reduce the actual steering angle, like some form of bump steer. Its as if the wheel hub is binding and the servo pushes up/over to compensate. I've checked the hubs and they pivot smooth, no binding.
I've done chassis mounted servos with 4-linked suspsenion on other rigs and didn't see this issue before, or at least not serious enough to notice. This rig does have longer front links than my previous setups but not a lot. Also, my shock setup is pretty soft as I like a spongy feel. Maybe stiff springs?

So, any thoughts? Stiffer springs, a sway bar,.... ??? Keep in mind I have a few limitations. I can't change to an axle mounted servo or go to a 3-link with panhard (although I'm not sure that would help either).
Old 11-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you need to be running a panhard bar. Very cool build.

Last edited by DORK VADER; 11-14-2015 at 10:01 AM.
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORK VADER View Post
Sounds like you need to be running a panhard bar. Very cool build.
You think so? I understand how a panhard helps with bump steer. I'm struggling to visualize how it would help with chassis roll.

And thanks for the compliment!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Try a mock up bar. Keep it in line with the drag link.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
You think so? I understand how a panhard helps with bump steer. I'm struggling to visualize how it would help with chassis roll.

And thanks for the compliment!
Definitely. The pan hard bar actually controls axle movement from side to side. What is happening is the axle is trying to go to the side, but your triangulated 4link is stopping it, causing the chassis to move up instead, forcing flex if you will.

Bumpsteer is caused when one of your links are shorter than the other(pan hard/steering) so they need to be the same length and parallel.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Definitely. The pan hard bar actually controls axle movement from side to side. What is happening is the axle is trying to go to the side, but your triangulated 4link is stopping it, causing the chassis to move up instead, forcing flex if you will.

Bumpsteer is caused when one of your links are shorter than the other(pan hard/steering) so they need to be the same length and parallel.
makes sense. weird that my other 4-linked, CMS rigs don't have the issue. or maybe the geometry is different enough I don't see it.

this is going to be a problem between I don't know if I have a clear path to run a panhard. with the tranny dropped low and the servo/drag link right up front it is tight. going to have to thread the needle!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

a couple questions about a panhard setup:

1. I will need to remove one of the upper links. shouldn't matter which one, right? since I'm not having an issue with upper link clearance I could go either way.
2. the panhard bar should be the same length as the draglink and a close to parallel as possible. does it matter how aligned (left to right) it is with the draglink? I will probably have to have it offset by 1-1.5" giving the available space and mounting points.

I'm going to try the 3-link/panhard on the front to see if that helps the body roll. given I have the same 4-link/CMS setup on the rear axle I may have to change that over also but I hope that is not necessary.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
a couple questions about a panhard setup:

1. I will need to remove one of the upper links. shouldn't matter which one, right? since I'm not having an issue with upper link clearance I could go either way.
2. the panhard bar should be the same length as the draglink and a close to parallel as possible. does it matter how aligned (left to right) it is with the draglink? I will probably have to have it offset by 1-1.5" giving the available space and mounting points.

I'm going to try the 3-link/panhard on the front to see if that helps the body roll. given I have the same 4-link/CMS setup on the rear axle I may have to change that over also but I hope that is not necessary.

1. The upper link and panhard pivot points/mounts have to be located on the same side of the axle.

2. If there is no binding in the rod ends or the links when cycling the suspension and the panhard bar is the right length for whatever crazy angle, it should work. Technically though everything needs to be inline/parallel as possible.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #51
SMW
Rock Stacker

Sorry coming in a little late to this party, but had a few questions. What brand of tracks are you running and do they come in different sizes like the 1.9 and 2.2 wheels/tires? Also do tracks require a higher rated torque servo than for tires?What are your servo specs ? I have never dealt with tracks but now am thinking they might be fun to run in the snow. Also are you set up to turn both back and front separately or do they always turn in unison? I was thinking about almost moving in a sideways direction, to get out of some awkward positions ( both front and back turned in same direction ) moving diagonally not in a circle. Sorry I just have too many questions and am not helping your build any .
SMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMW View Post
Sorry coming in a little late to this party, but had a few questions. What brand of tracks are you running and do they come in different sizes like the 1.9 and 2.2 wheels/tires? Also do tracks require a higher rated torque servo than for tires?What are your servo specs ? I have never dealt with tracks but now am thinking they might be fun to run in the snow. Also are you set up to turn both back and front separately or do they always turn in unison? I was thinking about almost moving in a sideways direction, to get out of some awkward positions ( both front and back turned in same direction ) moving diagonally not in a circle. Sorry I just have too many questions and am not helping your build any .
I'll try to answer some of our questions.

The tracks are from rc4wd and there is only one size. As for a servo that's your call. The tracks are heavier than wheels so I try to use high torque servos, but I would do that normally. I don't remember what the specs on these servos are but it is probably over 200oz of torque.

For steering I have mine set up so that I can select the steering configuration. I can do front only, rear only, normal (both axles pointing the same direction) and reverse (axles pointing opposite directions).
Old 11-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Great work! Are you planning to make portal reduction for this rig?
clarketian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarketian View Post
Great work! Are you planning to make portal reduction for this rig?
Thanks. And no portals on this rig. The LCC axles have plenty if reduction already.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Converter the front to 3-link/panhard and I'm impressed with how much it improved the body roll. The front holds solid. Now it makes the lean from the rear axle more apparent. So that means I need to convert the rear over next.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

This looks sick, great looking rig Sir....
Tantaran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Nice work.. Problem solved.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Spend the evening converting the rear to the 3-link/panhard setup. Took a little while because I had to slide the servo back to get more clearance. But it all worked out nicely. It is amazing how much these changes made. No body roll and it tracks straight when not turning.

Here are couple pics and a short video showing how tight this thing can turn.

https://youtu.be/BQ0mKrj8W3g
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Got to work on the last major part I plan to fab up, the front bumper. Got the center structure done bit was looking for opinions on what to do on the sides. I have pics of two options (2 pics each). Let me know what people think might look best. I'm leaning one way.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

I think they both look fine, but I'm leaning toward the double bend version. It's just a little more stylish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote

jebster's half track lcc mog - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US M3 half track. Devilbrad Non Crawler RC's 40 12-10-2016 03:16 PM
jebster's lcc jebster Team Losi Comp Crawler 65 03-23-2014 01:49 PM
half track REV666 General Scale Talk 13 03-26-2013 10:11 PM
Half Track? MiddleT General Scale Talk 13 01-11-2009 12:35 PM