Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The DIRTY BIRD lives again! ! !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The DIRTY BIRD lives again! ! !

As many of you remember, this build has always been in the 2.2 section. When the previous owner said he was getting out of the hobby and that everything must go, I contacted him about this one-of-a-kind. I had asked to buy it in his thread first and that is what got it into my hands. He did mention that a lot of members immediately contacted him about this rig too. So point being made, if you see a build you like a lot, put three words in for it first so that all can see it.

Now as for this build. I wanted to make it look more like that 1:1 that it was styled after. So that is why I'm going to the 1.9 section. I pulled the Curries and sold them already. I've got some Blackwell axles and Spark shocks in place. The links will be made by yours truly.

So for starters, this is how I got it and a few parts in line for its build. WOW! There are lot of photos. Like I say in other posts, "We like the books with lots of pictures!"

I.D.10.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The DIRTY BIRD lives again! ! !

Love this truck! Can't wait to see more, subscribed!
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

Is the cab Plastic? or Metal? Hard to tell from the pics, But im guessing plastic, Definitely watching this one
triaxrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have a pair of those axles and I would recommend replacing all the hard ware on them and shimming the upper gears. The hard ware that comes with them has a poor thread on them (on the pair i bought )so you its very easy to strip the the threads out . They will look pretty sweet under that chassis .
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by triaxrob View Post
Is the cab Plastic? or Metal? Hard to tell from the pics, But im guessing plastic, Definitely watching this one
It is plastic or styrene. I believe Dreedy built it. I love how he added the weld seams. It looks like metal until you touch it. It's so well built too. It has to be 1/4" thick with inner panels in most areas and the doors have panel too.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Here is a quick mock up with the axle, a screw case, and the wheels and tires from my FJ. With a wider stance, I believe I can get this to look like the aggressive trail truck it truly is. I am looking at some UTE wheels and some wide bead rings. I'm not set on tires at this time. I was thinking about going with some Proline TSLs, but they don't look right next to this body. Keep in mind that this body is tall.

I suppose the next time I take kitchen photos, I should use the pots like everyone else that takes kitchen photos.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

How are you going to tackle the steering with those axles?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looking good. I was watching it before when it was in the 2.2. section so im definitly going to continue watching this awesome rig. Thanks for sharing.
THUG LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
How are you going to tackle the steering with those axles?
I know. That is already proving to be quite the challenge. I'm thinking about making a bracket that will house a bellcrank assembly. The servo will back and up a ways to avoid the upper links and the top of the axle.

There is also the placement of the t-case that will be fun to address the HPI gear reduction unit does not allow for a straight shot to the front diff when the t-case is in normal position.

I'll get photos of each problem as it comes up. As for this week, it has suddenly been filled with many family matters. So I don't see any progress coming up soon. But stay tuned. This is going to be running this spring.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have a suggestion for steering . I built a timberwolf chassis with these axles . Search rods timberwolf it should show up . I changed the position of the of the Link mount brackets so the single hole was facing up which puts the the screw to mount them on the bottom and I shaved the single mount off and made a triangle plate up that used the knuckle as the pivot point it worked very well with the servo by the tranny with no bump steer. I'd post a link but it won't let me do it from my phone

Last edited by Rodamis; 04-06-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodamis View Post
I have a suggestion for steering . I built a timberwolf chassis with these axles . Search rods timberwolf it should show up . I changed the position of the of the Link mount brackets so the single hole was facing up which puts the the screw to mount them on the bottom and I shaved the single mount off and made a triangle plate up that used the knuckle as the pivot point it worked very well with the servo by the tranny with no bump steer. I'd post a link but it won't let me do it from my phone

I looked at the t wolf and that is an interesting idea. I might try it. I appreciate the input.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I got my UTE wheels, Compass tires, 2.2 CI DW foams, & LURC wide rings. I've decided to reverse the wheels and mount the hub on the backside to give the truck a wider stance. The wider rings help hide the plainness of the opposite side and give that aggressive look. I painted them black and then sanded them down to get a little age on them. The Compass tires are tall and wide and stretch out a little with the 2.2 foams. They still have some compression for traction too. Enough with the yada yada, on to the pictures.

More photos to come when I get all of the tiny pain screws into place.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The little bolts are in now. I need to get the lug nuts done.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Whew! What a week. I've got the links on it. I have 5/16" rods on the lower end. I put the weight down low in case I drive it. I want it LCG. The uppers are 3/16".

The transfer case is a China GCM. I had to shift it to the driver's side to get the front shaft through the tranny and the front upper link. It rolls and articulates without touching. I threw a small 55t integy and FXR into place to test the rear drive shaft and for placement of the servo.

The steering servo is going to be tricky. I'll address that next week. I threw a few extra photos of the body on for a teaser. Enjoy. Its looking awesome.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I like the most recent wheel/tire combo. I really like the 1.9 Compass tires. You stuffed 2.2 DW foams in there?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I like the most recent wheel/tire combo. I really like the 1.9 Compass tires. You stuffed 2.2 DW foams in there?

Sure did. It gave it a few more mm in height to give it the 'look' I was trying to capture. The DW foams are the ones for the 5.5" tires I believe. Easy mount to the tires too.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The new stance and 1.9 setup you created looks night and day better than the slammed 2.2 look, IMO.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by szczerba View Post
the new stance and 1.9 setup you created looks night and day better than the slammed 2.2 look, imo.

thanks man ! ! !
Old 04-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Lookin good! Love the wheel and tire combo! Looks perfect on this rig.
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:49 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

The suspension sits a lot better now, nice rig.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote

The DIRTY BIRD lives again! ! ! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project '66 FORD F-100 2.2: **DiRtY BiRd** Desert Rc 2.2 Scale Rigs 67 01-17-2015 10:14 PM
Eliminator_ryan's Dirty Chevy build a.k.a. The Dirty Burger Eliminator_ryan 1.9 Scale Rigs 53 11-13-2014 09:33 AM
A bird in a bird in a bird in a bird in a pig camobob Chit Chat 10 06-29-2011 07:43 PM
It Lives!!! bRIBEGuy General Crawlers 9 01-15-2008 04:02 PM