Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Mighty FC-ish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Mighty FC-ish

That was fun to watch. Sometimes the front springs look a little soft, but when you are on the rocks they look about right.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
Sometimes the front springs look a little soft, but when you are on the rocks they look about right.
Pretty much sums up the way I feel about it. Certainly good enough for the time being but it'll definitely need to be resprung once the interior goes in.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

This is officially a great day:

Old 05-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

UPDATE: I am a HUGE dummy.

Out driving around in the woods and on the rocks today with the kid and found myself struggling in places where I shouldn't have been. Then when we went to get the mail and I was driving on blacktop I noticed the steering kinda sucked and tires were folding pretty hard in the back. Then it hit me. I put an overdrive gearset in the back. I had an overdrive set aside for my C3 build (that starts when this and my F250 are both done) in the same parts bin as the underdrive I meant to go in this and I installed the wrong one. I just watched the video again and it's really obvious now. Probably going to have to go run the same lines again just to compare.

Dummy:

Old 05-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
This is a thing:

About two and a half years ago I set out to build the thing and this happened:

And this:

Then something else:

Than I stopped for reasons. Last week I stopped stopping in order to start. This is a thing:

The nose proportions don't meet 1:1 quite right (that's what I get for picking right up after 30 months with revisiting reference photos), but I think it isn't exactly a bad thing. I'm ditching the bed in favor of an exo and truggy rear. It'll be a solid C2 when done, but probably not much of a performer. I'm okay with that.

This is all really just an exercise in procrastination to avoid working on an interior for this...

...and I'm starting the cage for a C3 tuber...

I am not a smart man.
Wow scale rigs are just getting more and more over the top, stronger materials, better power systems, and obviously costing more money lol! I will be following this build for sure!

Takes some crazy ingenuity to reuse chopped or broken parts of a repairable New Bright JK hardbody in a whole new direction!

Last edited by alexchen86; 05-17-2015 at 12:42 AM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:45 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
UPDATE: I am a HUGE dummy.

Out driving around in the woods and on the rocks today with the kid and found myself struggling in places where I shouldn't have been. Then when we went to get the mail and I was driving on blacktop I noticed the steering kinda sucked and tires were folding pretty hard in the back. Then it hit me. I put an overdrive gearset in the back. I had an overdrive set aside for my C3 build (that starts when this and my F250 are both done) in the same parts bin as the underdrive I meant to go in this and I installed the wrong one. I just watched the video again and it's really obvious now. Probably going to have to go run the same lines again just to compare.

Dummy:

Lol we've all been there. I work on my rigs late night til 2-3am weekends only. Sometimes I'm still a little off key from going out and usually it involves installing the diffs the same direction. It's actually happened at least 2 times lol!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:44 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Lol we've all been there. I work on my rigs late night til 2-3am weekends only. Sometimes I'm still a little off key from going out and usually it involves installing the diffs the same direction. It's actually happened at least 2 times lol!
That's pretty much how it happened. My time to work on these projects is mostly limited to at night after the wife and kid are out. At least I figured it out now and not 3-4 months from now when I'm actually going to need the overdrive.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Was wondering about the cage.Do you make templates patterns before you start cutting up to make the real cage for the your rig....
Great job keep up the good work..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Glad you got that solved!

Love your FC.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Was wondering about the cage.Do you make templates patterns before you start cutting up to make the real cage for the your rig....
Great job keep up the good work..
I drew up the area where the cage meets the frame back to the tire carrier to make sure I had the clearances I wanted, but other than that I just winged it. I start adding tube where I think it belongs and make notes as ideas come to me. It's already better than what i had in my head when I started, but driving it over the last few days has really given me a clearer picture of where I want to go with it and the changes I need to make when I tear it down again (very soon!).
Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quick little run around the yard, playback at a mix of 1/4, 1/2, and full speed.

Gears are the way I intended now and it's noticeable in the way it drives, better low speed, tighter turning, and far superior climbing. Surprisingly enough it's not near as good at speed on the gravel driveway, lower top end (obviously) and far more prone to tipping in the corners, but that's not what it's built for so who cares? I moved the battery to the right side of the transmission doghouse and it seems to help with twist a little. Built a little battery box today that'll get welded in there, I think it won't be hard to disguise and batteries should be quick and easy to swap. With the winch on the bench I'm really itching to tear it all apart again, controller isn't too far out so I'm going to move on to prepping the interior next and by the time that's done I should be all set to put everything in.

TO PROGRESS!

Edit - I forgot to add that I also broke down and got some CI foams on the way, should be here tomorrow.

Last edited by forty2; 05-19-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I accidentally switched the over and underdrive gears in my wraith. It just did wheelies and backflips on inclines. Much easier to notice, especially compared to over and standard drive.
Loehdingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Same day as my CI foams showing up this guy found his way to the shop looking to drive for me.

I told him he seemed a little too gung ho for the low key way I run my shop, he proceeded to break down my tires.

I gotta hand it to him though, he is a pretty hard worker...

...when he actually works...

...but way too prone to screwing around methinks.

He's all "I'VE GOT GREAT ARTICULATION!"

And I reply "Sure, but your head is jammed sideways against the roof when you climb in the truck, it's just not going to work out."

Aww crap, where the hell is he now?

"EYE OF THE TIGER!"

Well damn, you gotta admire his enthusiasm...

Anyway, final tear down has begun in earnest, only part I'm waiting on is winch controller and by the time it shows I should be ready for final assembly. Now if I can only find a terrier to ride shotgun.

Last edited by forty2; 05-22-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

LOL, that made me snort a bit :P
joe.bielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Stay classy RCC!
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

He's all "I'VE GOT GREAT ARTICULATION!"

I am a fan of this build.

I also appreciate that the first three pictures of the post is you obtaining a new NB body, then immediately chopping the crap out of it. Nice work.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I need to do a scale garage lol! You boys have waaaay too much fun. What's next? Old school stop action with Ron giving some obnoxious poses? Lol....
Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Luv the build! It's original and hand built, you don't much of that going on any more.

Different topic, but do you still have the back half of that SCX-10 chassis?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
I also appreciate that the first three pictures of the post is you obtaining a new NB body, then immediately chopping the crap out of it. Nice work.
In my defense (not that I feel that I need defending) it was missing one of the little tail light cages when I got it, so it obviously had zero value to anyone anymore at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Different topic, but do you still have the back half of that SCX-10 chassis?
I know for certain one side is still floating around because I saw it last night in my scrap metal pile, it's not outside the realm of possibility I chucked the other though. If I can find the other do you want them?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:14 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

That takes crazy patience, skills and trial and error to get the fit just right along all the panels! But once it's done it hurts to see it destroyed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mighty FC-ish - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The mighty CC01 shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 10-03-2012 04:32 PM
Mighty FC xxgg Scale Videos! 3 05-19-2012 11:59 PM
TTC-ish Scale-ish Budget-ish Wroncho-ish Build Meatwad Axial SCX-10 77 01-19-2012 03:00 PM
Mighty Max(x) Mechanicalbob General Crawlers 9 02-21-2007 12:30 PM