Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which 1.9 Scale Truck Platform do YOU Recommend?
Axial SCX10 II 29 67.44%
G-Made Komodo 2 4.65%
MST CFX-W 2 4.65%
Vaterra Ascender 10 23.26%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Discussion: Best 1.9 Scale Truck Platform

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Discussion: Best 1.9 Scale Truck Platform

I thought it might be kind of cool to have a recent thread to discuss the advantages, disadvantages, etc of some of the more popular (and new) 1.9 scale truck platforms. As more and more people join the hobby, this question gets asked a lot, so a central thread for it might help provide some direction. I am hoping some of the senior members participate and provide their honest input.

Listed in alphabetical order, let's discuss the following platforms:

1. Axial SCX10 II
2. G-Made Komodo
3. MST CFX-W
4. Vaterra Ascender

Honorable mentions to the new HPI and Traxxas rigs. However, they aren't officially released, so any debate would be observational only based on photos floating around the internet, and marketing by said companies. The MST is new, but it is released and there are a couple build threads on it already.

The original SCX10 is still a great platform with a TON of aftermarket upgrades and can be bought used relatively cheap, but for the sake of this conversation, it is likely generally agreed that the SCX10 II improved upon that design.

Which truck do YOU recommend, and why? Recommendations should include your intended use, and if you plan to keep it relatively stock or upgrade it a lot. Specifying kit or RTR versions could be valuable too.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Discussion: Best 1.9 Scale Truck Platform

No TF2? or Wraith?
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
No TF2? or Wraith?

Those are marketed as 1.55 and 2.2 rigs, respectively. This is in the 1.9 section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Oppan Gangnam Style

Here's my opinion. I voted for Axial because they have a proven platform that is extremely durable and handles very well with aftermarket everything. Also, you can get spare parts virtually anywhere should you have an issue.

The G-made stuff is nice and fairly durable but parts usually have to be ordered from overseas or select hobby stores. I've owned one G-made R1 crawler and really liked it. Only issues were the driveshafts and the single flat on the trans gear which eventually became a nice round hole.

MST is known for some pretty high quality stuff. I've been putting some serious time on my CMX with minimal issues. It handles and performs better than I expected and has been very durable but as far as I know, parts have to come form overseas. The CFX-W is still new so I can't comment on it yet. I do plan on getting one eventually because... portals happened.

I don't own an Ascender but I've seen plenty of them out and can say they seem to do very well on the trail. However, I've also heard they can lunch axle gears on a regular basis. Again, thats what I've heard but never seen in person. Someone with more Ascender experience can give you a better idea of their reliability. Parts are available at most hobby stores that I've visited.

If you drive hard and like to beat on your rig, you will break parts regardless of the brand. If you want spare parts today, go. Axial or Vattera. If you don't mind waiting then the other two are a good choice as well.

Last edited by chino63; 02-07-2017 at 08:53 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I gave the Ascender my vote. I have two of them and can honestly say I really love them. The aftermarket actually has a lot to offer for them anymore, but it's all online and not in the hobby shop which is a downfall in many peoples eyes, but when you live in the middle of nowhere like me and buy everything online anyway it's not a big deal. I have yet to have any failures of any kind with mine. I'm not nice at all, but I don't run crazy amounts of power either. I'll be the first to admit the Ascender isn't perfect out of the box, but I have yet to see a bone stock crawler that was perfect. The torque twist is a little bit unacceptable in stock form but luckily the cure is pretty quick and simple. I honestly don't think either the Ascender nor the SCX10II is better than the other. Both have their good and not so good points imo. As with any kit, it's only as good as it's initially built and the skills of the guy holding the radio. I for one don't go crazy with the mods on my scalers. If you have to replace half of it before it's dependable or capable you might as well just build from scratch. Also, I don't do the rtr thing. Not a single rtr on the market that has electrics that I personally would be happy with and it's easier to build a kit than tear down an already built rig, clean the grease off the gears, regrease with your favorite lube and then reassemble it.
And why isn't the Sawback on the list!? It's a bouncy no flex badass
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

X2 Jeepiac, another vote for Ascender. I have not broken any axle gears or twisted any driveshafts on either of mine, both of them came with the revised HD gears and driveshafts. I let anybody drive mine running 2S and 3S, nothing has broken on either of them. I replaced the RTR servo after a year (I swapped output shaft bushing for a bearing early on) only because it was kinda slow and getting sloppier, but it still works.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I've owned both an Ascender and an SCX2. They both have their strong points and both are very capable trucks, I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. I voted Ascender though because I think the engineering was more fine tuned, it's much simpler design is easier to work on (SCX2 battery tray area is a little odd, same with the kit transmission), and the material quality (plastic) was, to me, far superior on the Vaterra, which also includes metal rod ends. There is no denying that the high pinion design of the AR44 axles on the SCX2 was well thought out though and the extra clearance it provides was nice, as well as the spiral cut gears. I do think that the Ascender axles are extremely underrated though, and the axle shafts are much beefier than the Axial ones.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

Well not an easy question.
First of all what is your budget? This is the most important question regarding the money you want/can spend to buy the rig and also to upgrade it. In this case the SCX10-II is more expensive than for example an Ascender

Then, what you want: trail rig, comp rig or scale rig? For example the SCX10-II is not really a good plateforme if you want to have a hardbody with a complete "hard" interior. But on the other hand, it is a very capable trail and comp rig

I speak for the SCX10-II and Vaterra Ascender (as I have / had both). For my criteria I prefer the SCX10-II, I find it more well-balanced (out of the box speaking). For my area (not a rock crawling are) I find the SCX10-II more capable but the Ascender is a very good also. It was just on some particulars situation that I found it perform better (like grip on slope)
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Timely thread, I'm trying to decide between the Ascender and SCX10-II. I know with Axial, the kit version includes a number of upgrades over the RTR, is the Ascender the same?
gmctoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Ascender kit and RTR are the same. The only thing the kit includes is the two servo mount options and the ability for make any of the wheelbases, as far as I understand.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #11

1. Ascender
1.5 SCX10 II

They're that close, but I'll take the Ascender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmctoy View Post
Timely thread, I'm trying to decide between the Ascender and SCX10-II. I know with Axial, the kit version includes a number of upgrades over the RTR, is the Ascender the same?
The Ascender and kit RTR are the same thing. The SCX10 II kit is the new platform. The SCX10 II RTR is more like an SCX10 1.5. It doesn't have the new transmission.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

if I had it my way, scx10 2 axles, ascender chassis, and losi night crawler trans. but, scx10 2 gets my vote because of the axles.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

@CM9000 we share that dream. Ascender chassis is incredibly well engineered and sturdy, and the trans is one of the tightest available with little to no slop.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

not to mention you can run a higher turn motor (brushless sensored) and get enough torque with it. heck, don't forget about the room for interior.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Discussion: Best 1.9 Scale Truck Platform - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/8 scale Crawler as camera platform for photography danielpetrescu Newbie General 4 01-28-2014 05:40 PM
Feasability discussion; CC01 or XC as a drift truck chassis? Rudukai13 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 05-28-2013 10:37 AM
looking for crawler platform to build a scale looking rig bronc4now Newbie General 9 12-07-2011 11:08 AM