Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My first scaler - Project United Nations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My first scaler - Project United Nations

I am temporarily unemployed and have resumes all over the planet. So now it’s the wait game to see what offers I can drum up.

So, while I wait I figured I’d revive this old nemesis of mine. Project United Nations will get another chance at life. I think I have all the necessary parts and I’ll give it the ol’ college try one last time.

Too drunk to start now but I can find all the little parts bags I’ve been ordering the last 4 months for in the morning. I’ve got some printed scale parts, too....somewhere.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I am temporarily unemployed and have resumes all over the planet. So now it’s the wait game to see what offers I can drum up.

So, while I wait I figured I’d revive this old nemesis of mine. Project United Nations will get another chance at life. I think I have all the necessary parts and I’ll give it the ol’ college try one last time.

Too drunk to start now but I can find all the little parts bags I’ve been ordering the last 4 months for in the morning. I’ve got some printed scale parts, too....somewhere.
Sorry to hear about your job man. That sucks. What industry are you in? Looking forward to seeing this build start back up. Even if it doesn't crawl or trail that well, the scale factor should be WOW.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

I am/was in the drilling side of the oilfield.

I’ve found everything I need except one stupid U joint to make the halfshaft from the forward tranny to the transfercase. I’ve retrofitted a 1/12 shaft for now.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I’ve found everything I need except one stupid U joint to make the halfshaft from the forward tranny to the transfercase. I’ve retrofitted a 1/12 shaft for now.
Ok - Just figured I ask on the off chance we were in related fields. (Telecom) We're looking for a guy for SE Region.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Ok - Just figured I ask on the off chance we were in related fields. (Telecom) We're looking for a guy for SE Region.

Right region....

The 45t motor I had in mind was a little fast for my liking so I’m putting a 55t in to see how that fares.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I used to work in the oilfield in northern Canada...was home for my son's birth just a week after Christmas after the last oil dip...ring ring, btw we have to lay you off...happy belated Christmas and congrats on the kid...lol...to bad you weren't closer to my side of the border, working on the water well side now and I know they could use another driller...

How's the progress on the D90? I've got the RC4wd version and would agree about it being top heavy but I decided I love it for it's scaleness if that's even a word and for being a D90 and have started a different project to do/ get into more comp style rigs...any new pics?
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Held up because I can’t find the proper U joints I had ordered. But here the chassis is currently. I’m going all in with the China products and using the $20 brushed crawler ESC/motor combo, MG996R China servo(which needs a BEC), China chassis, China leaf springs, China transfercase, and China tires. I do have an RC4WD R3 tranny and GMade wheels. I also have a China roof rack for it, China scale accessories(high lift, several jerry cans, shovel), diesel can, kerosene can, 3D propane can, 8 or so 3D medical kits(I’ll leave those loose to fly around the cab), and some crap I don’t remember. I also have a China sailboat winch servo if I can make it fit under the body as well as some yellow Chinese micro paracord for winch line. Whew....that’s a lot of Chinese made products. I also need to make some extended motor leads so I can put the ESC on the rear tray with the battery.

I ordered two new U joints in a 5x4mm size and I’ll use a piece of the 4mm stainless I make links with to complete the halfshaft. These U joint are for looks since they are a 4x4 and a 6x5 and fit nothing I need. I could swap ends and make it work but one doesn’t have the E clips like the other. (Thanks China warehouse). So, in 1-4 weeks I should have my final U joint and I’ll try to get it all done by then.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Default My first scaler - Project United Nations

I spent a day helping Paw Paw build a lean to shed off his barn. Then the next two days being a grease monkey at my uncle’s Arctic Cat shop like I did from 7-12th grades. Made some cash money....

Today I did a little on Project United Nations. I installed a couple of jerry cans on both sides in mirrored locations. Installed the roof rack I had but now I do not like the roof rack but have four 1/8” holes in the roof. So the rack stays. Found some lost Maker’s Mark in my junk roof while searching for the China HiLift/shovel/pick axe combo. Never found the accessories combo either. I just need a glossy sealant to be finished with the medical kits. And the propane tanks need to be glued together.

The keg won’t go with P. U.N.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 03-17-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Did ya find a place for the servo winch?
seedburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedburns View Post
Did ya find a place for the servo winch?

Not really. I could mount it laying down on the tray all the way to the back. Just need to get motivated and install the motor leads then position all the electronics while keeping a servo location in mind. Lemme find that winch to keep it handy.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Not really. I could mount it laying down on the tray all the way to the back. Just need to get motivated and install the motor leads then position all the electronics while keeping a servo location in mind. Lemme find that winch to keep it handy.
First time seeing this....
Damn!! I thought I had problems with my HG P402!
Even the Driveshaft is giving you fits. If it would help, I've got a spare Driveshaft from my CC01. It's Stainless, with the same U-Joints that you've got on that Rig.

It's yours if I can find enough to ship it across the Country. ;')

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
First time seeing this....
Damn!! I thought I had problems with my HG P402!
Even the Driveshaft is giving you fits. If it would help, I've got a spare Driveshaft from my CC01. It's Stainless, with the same U-Joints that you've got on that Rig.

It's yours if I can find enough to ship it across the Country. ;')

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Not necessary. I’ve got plenty of time and no rush. This is a long term project of mine and I will see it through...eventually. Thinking of cutting the fender flares off and running some 2.2 tires. Lollololol.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

That's cool.... The offer is out there.

I've been considering doing one of those for the longest time! I even planned on using a MST CFX, which should match the small wheelbase of the Austar version....
WHICH I SHOULD have bought over a year ago, when everyone had them on EvilBay for about $35-40!!!! NOW the same Body is $80.00.
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I got my motor leads extended to the rear. Hooked up all the electronics and it works very well. Plugged in my servo winch and does good, too. Now to figure where to mount it. I also added some medical kits in cabin and stuck them in place. Took it for a maiden voyage around the house and it does OK. The servo is a POS. So I looked it up and saw why. It’s a $5 servo with 208oz stall at 6v. LOL. Time for a new one. I may just rob one from something else for the time being.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 03-19-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

I’m still waiting for my Chinese U joints. Figured I’d make a little photo shoot with the new driver.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I got my U joints today. Put them on, measured twice, cut once, and then filed some flats then slid the 4mm rod in. Done. Now to wait a few more days for my slightly better servo.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Great day. More like OK day, but it’ll work. Mail lady dropped off my 20kG servo and I put it in. It’s no power house but it does good for $20.

I think I’m hooked on scalers now. This thing makes me smile each time I drive it even though it’s just around the house. It can’t clear anything taller than the front bumper is the main drawback. That and it’s as flexible as a brick rolling on golf balls. Not to mention how extremely top heavy it is. Guess I should finally invest in a TF2 body for a lower CoG.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

It is fun! My china D90 is getting there too.

The wagon wheels on mine are very heavy and I have an extra few mm on axle width with the HG axles. Haven’t had it tip yet.

Waiting on a cage and some more accessories that might get it to that point though.

Looking good there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #59

You'll find a new job. I've found that when a job ends, while it really sucks, it turns out for the best.

Good looking build so far. I really like your driver. Who is that? I'm looking for a similar size for my TF2.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You'll find a new job. I've found that when a job ends, while it really sucks, it turns out for the best.

Good looking build so far. I really like your driver. Who is that? I'm looking for a similar size for my TF2.
Yep. I’m looking at possibly a PA job or W.TX job. Either way there’ll be some cool terrain involved and I can pack along a crawler with me. I’ve got a Pelican box I’m prepping for that already.

Star Lord. I found a combo pack with him and Ego 1/2 off on a Target end cap.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 04-05-2018 at 03:32 PM.

My first scaler - Project United Nations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am Done with the United states government. holycaveman Chit Chat 317 07-02-2012 10:27 AM
Stand United JUSTGOINGSLOW Chit Chat 36 10-27-2009 09:44 PM
U.F.C. 70, Nations collide west virginia krawler Chit Chat 30 04-21-2007 11:30 PM