Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's Hilux Beach Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2023, 08:18 AM   #1
Go Buckeyes!

Default B-MOW's Hilux Beach Runner

New month, new build. As always, unfinished builds in the garage and my mind is already looking at new builds!

Anyway, this new project was inspired while I was building my B-MOW's GSPEED V1-C1 Mojave Class 1 Build. I was then in the process of deciding on a paint color when I found a cool build on the Tube and I posted about it here:B-MOW's GSPEED V1-C1 Mojave Class 1 Build. I was half tempted to go that route, but went with the color orange instead. @smog and @indybama posted right after my post that "surfer dude" kind of truck with a couple surfboards hanging out in the bed would be cool!

So that is where this build was born. This by no means will be a rock killer or even a trail killer, but will be a fun build to do even if it sits on the shelf.

I have been in the process of working on this on and off the few past months, so I'll start now to get caught up on the process I've made. Starting right here.

GSpeed Chassis was having a July 4th sale, so this laid the ground work for the build. Also pictured is the ShrinkRC Mojave 2 door body mounts.

Name:  IMG_1918.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  183.9 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: B-MOW's Hilux Beach Runner

I’m in! Can’t wait to see this come together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Putting it all together never gets old. Should be awesome.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I spent more on my last surfboard than I did for my last 5 cars combined not counting the truck of course cause well that's a truck not a car lol
just saying a surfer dudes truck is gonna be rusty and beat up lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Can't wait to see this one.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:32 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’m in! Can’t wait to see this come together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Putting it all together never gets old. Should be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I spent more on my last surfboard than I did for my last 5 cars combined not counting the truck of course cause well that's a truck not a car lol
just saying a surfer dudes truck is gonna be rusty and beat up lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
Can't wait to see this one.
Thanks guys!

Hey @ferp, never bought a surfboard, but can see how they could cost some big dough! I'm sure it'll be rusty and beat up from all of the sea salt that it has seen over the years! I'll see what I can do about the rusty weathered look!
Old 10-02-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

its a 10.6 foot woodie balsa and epoxy board shaped by wingnut it took years to get that board but I'll have it for the rest of my life unless some jack steals it
Old 10-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #8
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
its a 10.6 foot woodie balsa and epoxy board shaped by wingnut it took years to get that board but I'll have it for the rest of my life unless some jack steals it
Sounds like a sweet board! Got any pics?

My only regret in life is not living by an ocean and learning how to surf. Ohio is not a good place to go to a beach and surf! A 3.5 foot boogie board at the Outer Banks is as close to surfing as I have ever gotten!
Old 10-02-2023, 09:32 AM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

The next step was assembling the GSpeed chassis and installing the ShrinkRC body mounts. These chassis' are one of my favorites to assemble and use. They are so versatile and can be used for many scale builds. It comes with a Vader delrin skid which I will re-drill for the transmission that is mentioned below in the next pic.

The ShrinkRC body mounts are a direct bolt on to the V1-C1 chassis and include a rear bed mount that attaches to the existing holes in the RC4WD Mojave beds.

Name:  IMG_1921.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  179.3 KB

I picked up a NIP take off Vanquish VFD Twin with the machined gears on the Social for next to nothing. I will probably lock out the OD and DIG for now. I may even convert this to a OG VFD with all the extra gearing needed for the OD and DIG.

The motor pictured will not be used in this build. Or maybe it will! TBD.

Name:  IMG_0994.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  180.3 KB

I purchased a Tamiya Hilux cab and a RC4WD Marlin pre-bobbed bed. The body and bed mounted perfectly to the ShrinkRC body mounts.

Name:  IMG_1922.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1924.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  152.9 KB

The ShrinkRC body mounting kit raises the body up off of the chassis and gives better tire clearance compared to the GSpeed V1-C1 Mojave slider/body mounts. The GSpeed's has the bed sitting down on the chassis rails lowering the COG. I'll have to get an official measurement of the lift on the ShrinkRC mounts later.

Also pictured is a BentCustoms rear bumper. Not sure yet if it will be used or if I will make my own. TBD later.

Name:  IMG_1925.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  129.4 KB
Old 10-02-2023, 11:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Glad we could be of inspiration brian lol. Its comin along nicely already. Definantly be watchin this one come to life.

I picked up a og vfd from twade, think itll go in my latest build. The twin doesnt give much room for the batt on the slider. Also snagged a pro body n chassis from him too.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:36 PM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Glad we could be of inspiration brian lol. Its comin along nicely already. Definantly be watchin this one come to life.

I picked up a og vfd from twade, think itll go in my latest build. The twin doesnt give much room for the batt on the slider. Also snagged a pro body n chassis from him too.

I saw that VFD that Tom had for sale. I almost jumped on it, but I had already picked up this VFD Twin and another off of FB. The Twin does take up room. I was able to wedge it in this chassis. More on that later. I thought about converting it to the OG VFD. Still may in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2023, 09:35 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

On to the powertrain. The VFD Twin is assembled and installed, but not without headaches. The VFD Twin does not mount well with the Vader skid and I didn't want to use the stock skid. The rear mount is farther back on the Twin compared to the OG VFD which puts it off of the back of the skid. To mount the rear, I borrowed an idea that @indybama used on his GSpeed build. I cut a piece of square aluminum rod and drilled and tapped a couple holes in it. Mounted it to the rear trans mount and mounted the bar to one of the unused rear upper link mounts.

For the front skid/motor skid, I took a page out of my GSpeed V3 Origin Build (B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build) and used a piece of Kydex to make a motor skid. I had to remove the Kydex skid from the V3 Origin to trace it out onto a blank piece of Kydex. Cut and shaped to fit the Twin and installed.

Name:  IMG_1926.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  177.7 KB

I cut the front trans mounts off of the stock servo/chassis brace and attached them to the V1 chassis. The Twin sits a little higher with the Vader skid, so I had to add spacers to the mounts.

Name:  IMG_1927.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  137.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1928.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  157.0 KB

Here's a look at the alum rear mount I made. Simple, yet doable! It surprisingly holds the trans tight in the chassis. It does a great job at keeping the trans from shifting side-to-side. I used alum spacers on the passenger side trans mounts like I did with the V3 Origin build.

I need to get a side shot of the trans mounted. It was tricky to get the OD shift lever to fit down in the chassis. I'll get a pic and add it later.

Name:  IMG_1929.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1931.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  171.2 KB
Old 10-03-2023, 10:14 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Dang brian, that rear mount looks waaayyyy better than mine lol. Good job brother! The twin sure is a tight fit back there in the o/d side for sure

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:08 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Looking really good so far.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 06:20 AM   #15
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Dang brian, that rear mount looks waaayyyy better than mine lol. Good job brother! The twin sure is a tight fit back there in the o/d side for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
Looking really good so far.
Thanks guys!

Hey @bama, I'm going to get better pics of the twin and how I fit it in there soon. It really only fits in there snuggly one way without major cutting and modifying.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:26 AM   #16
RCC Addict

That trans mount is very slick. Simple but effective

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 06:57 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Sounds like a sweet board! Got any pics?

My only regret in life is not living by an ocean and learning how to surf. Ohio is not a good place to go to a beach and surf! A 3.5 foot boogie board at the Outer Banks is as close to surfing as I have ever gotten!
pics are somewhere or I could walk to the other side of the property and take one lol but that's a long walk

if ya got a lake and a boat you can fake it lol and you can surf the Great lakes if you catch them just right
Old 10-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #18
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
That trans mount is very slick. Simple but effective

Luckily I didn't overengineer it like I do everything else!

Quote:
pics are somewhere or I could walk to the other side of the property and take one lol but that's a long walk

if ya got a lake and a boat you can fake it lol and you can surf the Great lakes if you catch them just right
I'll probably just have to fake it! I haven't been to Lake Erie since I was a kid. From what I remember it would take one hell of a storm to produce waves big enough to hang ten!
Old 10-04-2023, 09:24 AM   #19
Go Buckeyes!

Here's a few more items inline to be added.

I picked up the Axial straight axles way back when Horizon had these on sale for $99 bucks. The offset on the front axle will work perfect with the VFD Twin.

I picked up another set of stainless high clearance links off of Amazon. I've had great luck with these links so far on a few other rigs, so I thought I would put them on this one too.

I also picked up another set of Incision S8E 80mm shocks. I've been finding these on FB Marketplace for cheap. They are brand new take offs from new Phoenix portal RTR's. Also picked up some 90mm's for another build.

These S8E shocks are now my newest "goto" shocks for builds. All of the sets that I have bought have been leak free and buttery smooth. I've found that 70wt shock oil is a good starting point. The stock 30 or 35wt oil they come with is just too thin IMO.

Name:  IMG_1932.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  179.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1933.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1934.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  161.6 KB
Old 10-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Nice, still kicking myself for not picking up a set of those axles.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.9 scaler, bmow71, rc4wd hilux, tamiya crawler, vanquish products

B-MOW's Hilux Beach Runner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4S TRX4, Element 4 Runner & 10.2 Honcho Beach Bashing Hardcoretam Videos! 0 11-08-2020 04:32 AM
Hilux crawling at the beach summitcrawler Scale Videos! 2 01-02-2013 10:54 AM
surf brawler hilux at the beach seven.two Videos! 2 02-05-2011 04:46 PM