Notices

Thread: B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #21
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Nice progress on this beauty. The VFD looks tucked in well there. I like the spacers you used, adding the washer seems to have helped offset some of the skid angle to keep your drive lines straight too.

Hopefully the GLD helps with your servo clearance.
Thanks TB!

Yeah, spacers hold the trans solid to the delrin skid. Also will make for an easy trans swap if for some reason I ever have or need to do that. Gives me the option to bolt in 3-gear or any other trans that uses the 3-gear trans hole pattern.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #22
Go Buckeyes!

Spent some time (a lot of time really) getting the panhard link figured out.

Ordered and installed the GSpeed G-LD Laydown CMS servo mount. Also installed a VP 24mm servo horn. I did have the VP 20mm horn on, but it wasn't giving my enough steering throw.

Whipped up a simple drag link that I could adjust to get the correct length without having to take it on and off a dozen times.

Name:  IMG_6122.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  143.4 KB

Had to add a 3mm spacer to the panhard bar link on each end to give the proper angle and clearance.

Name:  IMG_6125.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  127.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6126.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  118.3 KB

The pics below show the clearance with the shocks extended and at full compression with the wheels turned left and right. I now get full compression with very little to no interference with the axle or servo horn.

Name:  IMG_6123.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  180.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6124.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  176.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6127.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  179.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6128.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6129.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  181.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6130.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  176.4 KB

After spending much time of taking links on and off to figure out which length would work the best, I've finally found the perfect length for my setup. There is just a slight touch of bump steer, but it is very minimal and will be unnoticeable out on the rocks.

The panhard length from eye-to-eye is 117mm long. The drag link from eye-to-eye is now 84mm long.

Name:  IMG_6131.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  144.2 KB

Made a new drag link out of 8/32" stainless all-tread and a piece of 6mm OD stainless steel tubing. I used a couple Traxxas #5347 rod ends with hollow balls.

Name:  IMG_6134.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  182.0 KB

I used a couple SSD M4 rod end spacers to get me the 117mm length I needed for the panhard link. Also used one Traxxas Jato rod end on one side and a #5347 rod end on the other side.

Name:  IMG_6136.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  114.9 KB

Here is the new drag link bolted in. Didn't turn out too bad!

Name:  IMG_6137.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  132.6 KB

And one last pic of the front end.

Name:  IMG_6138.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  181.4 KB
Old 04-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #23

Looking good. I am still amassing parts. Been a lurker on your builds for a while and hope to post some soon. Thanks for to you and many others for all the information
Juanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:18 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

So, so nasty! I can’t wait to see it on the rocks!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:57 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Lookin good brian. She sits good n low on those purdy axles. U n TB got me wantin to build one of these now lol.

Took my vs/trx4 out yesterday for a shake down run before ecc. Ran 3 packs thru her at cheaha with no issues. She sits low like this here build u got goin on.
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
Looking good. I am still amassing parts. Been a lurker on your builds for a while and hope to post some soon. Thanks for to you and many others for all the information
Thanks and thanks for checking out my builds!

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
So, so nasty! I can’t wait to see it on the rocks!

Lou
Thanks Lou! Me too, meee toooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Lookin good brian. She sits good n low on those purdy axles. U n TB got me wantin to build one of these now lol.

Took my vs/trx4 out yesterday for a shake down run before ecc. Ran 3 packs thru her at cheaha with no issues. She sits low like this here build u got goin on.
Thanks bama!

Yeah, TB has been a bad influence! Just kidding TB! These are fun builds and I love watching how these perform out on the rocks! Can't wait to see your future GSpeed build!

Great news on your VS-TRX4 build! I bet she's a performer! I'm really digging all these low rider rigs these days!
Old 04-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Looking very good young man!! I have been following your flat rail builds with a lot of interest. So much so that I pulled the trigger on parts to do a G-Speed build. Also bought the kit to upgrade my Enduro. You're also doing a great job documenting your progress, which is very helpful for all of us.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #28
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Looking very good young man!! I have been following your flat rail builds with a lot of interest. So much so that I pulled the trigger on parts to do a G-Speed build. Also bought the kit to upgrade my Enduro. You're also doing a great job documenting your progress, which is very helpful for all of us.
Ernie
Thank you very much Ernie! I appreciate the kind words and it means a lot to hear that from a master builder like yourself! I enjoy visiting your build threads and have learned a lot from you over the past few years.

I try to do my best to document and share pics so others can see the steps I take and maybe provide help and/or answers to questions people may have. It also helps me to go back and see what I have done since my memory is slowly fading as I get older!

Congrats on the new GSpeed build! Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for it!
Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #29
Go Buckeyes!

Spent a few hours today getting the electronics installed and wired up. These are the same electronics that I had in my Origin and I carried them over to this build with the exception of the steering servo. I originally had a Reefs 555 in the Origin which got robbed out of it and ended up in my SCX10.3 JT Gladiator. So for the time being I'll be using a cheapy 20kg servo until I get the Reefs replaced.

The current setup is a Castle Mamba X with a 1900kv Slate motor. The receiver is a Spectrum SR415 4-channel and the servo winch is a Reefs 422HD V2. These worked flawlessly in the Origin for the past few years and should work out well with the lighter GSpeed chassis. Nevermind the ugly wiring job. I'll tidy it up later once I get the winch hooked up!
Name:  IMG_6158.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  181.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6159.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  179.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6160.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  180.8 KB

I picked up a GSpeed carbon fiber winch mount to install the servo winch. The servo winch is mounted temporally for now. I still need to get a piece of brake line bent up so that I can run my winch line thru it. Once I figure out which bumper I'll be using, I get the brake line installed.
Name:  IMG_6161.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  164.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6162.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  151.2 KB

And here is how it sits now for weight. I'm pretty happy with the numbers I'm seeing. Great front to rear percentage and perfect side to side. I was shooting for 60/40 and it looks like it is a tad better. The VFD trans really helped to get most of the weight farther forward and lower. Once I get a body and bumpers put on, I'll get a final weight.
Name:  IMG_6163.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  182.3 KB
Old 04-29-2021, 06:20 AM   #30
Go Buckeyes!

Picked up an IERC 2-bar front bumper. It's seems to be built well and looks great mounted. This bumper should look great with whichever body I decide to go with.

For now I set my OG Deadbolt body on to get an idea of what the bumper would look like. Doesn't look too bad! I'm thinking for now, I may get this body mounted up and run it until I figure out which way I want to go with a permanent body.

Name:  IMG_6290.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6291.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  178.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6292.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  177.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6293.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  182.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6294.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  177.0 KB
Old 04-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #31
RCC Addict

That deadbolt body looks good on there brian. Looks real good sittin down low like that too. Ive been thinkin of gettin one of thier bumpers. Ive got a flatbed n headache rack from ierc n its pretty good quality.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Damn it man! I was totally planning a deadbolt for my next build! Looks great though!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Did you design the front grille? I’d like to print one of those, it’s cool!
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #34
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
That deadbolt body looks good on there brian. Looks real good sittin down low like that too. Ive been thinkin of gettin one of thier bumpers. Ive got a flatbed n headache rack from ierc n its pretty good quality.
Thanks bama! Yeah, I like the look with it sitting low. It fits this chassis great! I went ahead and mounted it temporarily so that I can get some run time on it until my new body arrives!

I'm really liking the looks of the products that IERC makes. I'll definitely be ordering more in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
Damn it man! I was totally planning a deadbolt for my next build! Looks great though!

Lou
Thanks Lou! Go for it! The Deadbolt body fits great and looks good! My new body is ordered, so this body won't be on here for long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
Did you design the front grille? I’d like to print one of those, it’s cool!
No, it's the Knight Customs Deadbolt angry eye grill. I bought it on Shapeways a few years back.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #35
Gold Star Baby!

Looks like it’s about ready for some rocks! I agree with the others, that deadbolt body looks right at home there.

I’m running an ierc bumper on a build too, great little piece and good value. Also have their PWagon visor. I’ll have more ierc in my future for sure.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

This build has turned out great! I like how you fitted the transmission a lot. I have a vanquish transmission I was thinking of using in the future and this solidifies my thoughts of being not only possible but actually working very well!

Nice work!
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #37
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Looks like it’s about ready for some rocks! I agree with the others, that deadbolt body looks right at home there.

I’m running an ierc bumper on a build too, great little piece and good value. Also have their PWagon visor. I’ll have more ierc in my future for sure.
Gettin' closer to rock time! Yeah, the more I look at the Deadbolt body on there the more I'm starting to like it. I did get a body ordered finally, so this DB will be on hear until then.

Nice! Yeah, I really like these bumpers. I've been eyeing the V3 alum sliders they make. I think I'll be picking a set of them up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBuggy View Post
This build has turned out great! I like how you fitted the transmission a lot. I have a vanquish transmission I was thinking of using in the future and this solidifies my thoughts of being not only possible but actually working very well!

Nice work!
Thanks TBuggy!

Yeah, the VFD fits great in this chassis. And the little bit of testing that I have done with it is amazing so far! I was shocked at how easy it was to get the weight bias I was looking for on the first try! The VFD adds a ton of weight low and forward! I almost put the VFD in my V1 C1 build, but decided to go with the FMM and Creeper-T. I think my next C1 build will have the VFD in it.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Cant wait to see this beauty out on the rocks. What body u goin with brian? I seen the new cliffhanger at ecc this weekend, it looks really good. Think im goina pick one up for my next build. The ranger body is just to big n bulky imo.

I met bryce from TGH n alot of the team drivers as well. Really cool guys n some pretty sweet rigs too. After seein u n tb buildin with a tgh chassis n then seein them on the rocks, definantly wanna build one lol.

I didnt do so well on the courses, but i had a blast. I timed out on 3 of them n pointed out on 1. Cant wait til next year. But i did come home with a new redcat gen8 in the green flavor from a raffle. The money went to ja birds family to help with thier loss of him
Old 05-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

This is a really awesome build Brian.

I also agree, the Deadbolt fits that chassis very well.

Excited to see what body you go with

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 05-03-2021 at 04:32 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #40
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Cant wait to see this beauty out on the rocks. What body u goin with brian? I seen the new cliffhanger at ecc this weekend, it looks really good. Think im goina pick one up for my next build. The ranger body is just to big n bulky imo.

I met bryce from TGH n alot of the team drivers as well. Really cool guys n some pretty sweet rigs too. After seein u n tb buildin with a tgh chassis n then seein them on the rocks, definantly wanna build one lol.

I didnt do so well on the courses, but i had a blast. I timed out on 3 of them n pointed out on 1. Cant wait til next year. But i did come home with a new redcat gen8 in the green flavor from a raffle. The money went to ja birds family to help with thier loss of him
I do like the Cliffhanger body. Just waiting for it to be in stock at my LHS. My plan is to put it on my first G-build. On this rig, I got sucked in to the darkside and picked up a body that has been used many times on these types of rigs. It is one of the cheapest in price and fits this chassis great. It should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll post up a pic when it comes in.

That's cool you were able to meet the TGH team! I would have loved to have been able to go to ECC to see some of the best drivers compete! Don't feel bad, I'm sure I would have timed out too! Timing has always been my worst enemy! Congrats on the Gen8 win! Glad to hear the money went to a good cause!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
This is a really awesome build Brian.

I also agree, the Deadbolt fits that chassis very well.

Excited to see what body you go with
Thanks SLN! Can't wait to get the new body painted and mounted!

Tags
gspeed, gspeed-lcg, origin, vs4-10, vs410

B-MOW's GSPEED V3 VS4-10 Origin VFD Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's VS4-10 Origin Limited B-MOW71 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 40 09-15-2023 06:18 AM
B-MOW's GSPEED TGH-V3 LCG Chassis Build B-MOW71 1.9 Scale Rigs 81 02-10-2023 06:16 AM
Vanquish VS4-10 Origin Limited Build/Thoughts Issues rohrej Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 131 03-26-2021 08:09 AM
Topher pieces together a VFD VS4-10 Custom Topher Builds Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 60 10-29-2020 09:03 PM
Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles boldfin Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 63 09-11-2020 08:53 AM