Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Bama 6x

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2024, 01:47 PM   #21

Default Re: Bama 6x

That's going to be a serious unit. I like it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2024, 03:46 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Thanks smog! The more i work on it, the more ideas im comin up with

Thanks jato! Cant wait to get it out n see how it does. Im goina do a dual line on the booms, with a single winch line. Plan is to run 2 lines on one servo, ill use brake tubing to run them from the servo to either side

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:10 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Just like that, we're back for another episode lol. Made some more headway on this beauty tonite. Started with movin the left boom in closer to the shock tower, to match the right side a bit more. In turn, that took majority of the little bind out of the booms when theyre up high.

I went around n finish welded the skeleton of a cage, pretty happy with where its at. Kind of got ahead of myself, i still need some cross braces for the floor. So i better get them n before i go much further on the body work.

I couldnt wait to see some panels, so i got on it tonight. Got a rough outline, leavin about half inch all the way around. Sorry, didnt get pics of my doodlings on the metal. Got the bed frame lined up about even n tacked it on the inside, so i wouldnt lose where i wanted it. Grabbed my lil pecker, n began massagin the metal into place. I curled it around the rod for a bit cleaner look. After i get some floor braces in, ill put panels on the inside to hide the frame work. Ive got a couple of holes to fix, but all in all, it came out about how id invisioned.

Then it was on to the headache bar. I used 1 inch sq tubing n split it , as close to, down the center as best i could. The notches arent quite the same, but cant see it from your house lol. Its about 1/4" ish above the cab, which is a touch more than i was aimin for, but thats ok. Kinda wish id welded it from the inside, but i was able to smooth in the welds.

Shes really startin to look like somethin now. Next on the list is the floor n atleast one tool box in the bed. Ive got some small hinges, so itll open n close. That way i can throw in some scale tow rope, chain, snatch blocks, etc. Ive got an idea for makin the sling on the back too, we'll see how that goes later though.

Im also debatin on gettin with the local vinyl place down the road. May see wat theyd charge me to wrap the whole rig vs paintin it. Anywhos, heres some pic of the mess i made tonight lol. Thanks for checkin in yall!

Old 02-08-2024, 08:41 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Coming along nice buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:32 PM   #25
Slow is the new Fast

The panels and headache rack look great! The beef AND the business!

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:09 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Thanks tom! Really enjoyin this one. Ill definantly be buildin another

Thanks smog! Shes got some junk in the truck for sure. The cool factor is, itll show damage when she gets banged around a bit. I cant wait to get it done n see how she climbs. Sure itll b top heavy lol

Old 02-09-2024, 07:19 AM   #27

Wow nice metal work! I'm jealous of your patience.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:23 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Thanks jato! I done all the sheet metal n the headache in about 3 hrs. Dependin how i feel, i may go to tge shop tomorrow n work on it some more. Cant get out to do anything anyway, supposed to start rainin tonight n all thru monday

Old 02-09-2024, 03:03 PM   #29
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Thanks tom! Really enjoyin this one. Ill definantly be buildin another

Thanks smog! Shes got some junk in the truck for sure. The cool factor is, itll show damage when she gets banged around a bit. I cant wait to get it done n see how she climbs. Sure itll b top heavy lol

Haha, yeah it will be a challenge getting that one through the gates. Maybe you could put a plow on the front to balance it out?

smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 04:13 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Haha, yeah it will be a challenge getting that one through the gates. Maybe you could put a plow on the front to balance it out?

I dont see this one run in a comp, but it would make for a good obstacle between gates lol

Old 02-11-2024, 03:54 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Well, i took it easy yesterday, my back was killin me. About didnt get up fri, i struggled to get out of bed. 3 days of pickin up scrap will do it.

Anyway, had to get out today, dang dryer took a crap. So i decided to go to the shop n get a lil more work done, after dryin the clothes.

Got both inside panels done, they seams arent perfect, but neither is the rest of the bed lol. I think its comin along pretty good, considering im not usin jigs or bucks for molding the metal.

Got started on the floor section, n my welds started to suffer. I was hurtin n get tired from standin at the table. So ill get back on this a bit tomorrow, if im not hurtin after work. Sucks gettin old lol.

I need to get some more of this sheet metal. Think im goina make covers for the shocks, but i may leave them exposed. Wat do yall think? I definantly want to make some sort of tool box. Not sure if ill put it on the side or up between the shocks. Still lots to do, but its startin to look like somethin now

Old 03-09-2024, 03:03 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Dang, its been a lil bit since i was on this build. Decided to go to the shop n piddle today, wasnt sure where i was goin at first. I finished weldin the bed, definantly goina have to do a tiny bit of filler. Not goin for perfection, but needs some places fixed, that i cant get the grinder into n a file just isnt workin out either.

The my mind started wonderin to the front of the truck, which i had planned to do later on smh. Had an extra piece of 1" square tubing, from where i split it in two for the headache rack. The top side is about 3/4" n the bottom is close to 1/2". I cut it even with the edges of the grille, then beveled the ends, not quite 45°. Used some 1/2" flat bar to box tge ends. I know, i know, the stinger is taller on one side lol, again, not lookin for perfect. Its kind of a, jim bob dug thru the scrap pile, build. Ive got a bumper mount winch, but havent decided if im goina use it on here or not.

With the bumper built, not sure its totally done though, i moved to the sliders. While the stock ones looked ok, figured i build some while i was at it. Used some of the SMS tabs, bent them over, n beat their tails lol. The outside mounting holes for the stock sliders worked out pretty good for where i wanted them. The 1/2" flat bar i had worked for a step look, then welded some 3/16 rod on the edge. I left the rod hangin over the edge, not quite half the width of it. May go back n weld the bottom side n round it off.

Im really happy with where its gotten so far. Really wish id made the inside of the bed with a single piece, n not multiple. But u learn as u go. Plan is to get the pulleys lined up for the boom, make some handles for the back. Goina set them up to move when using the winches. Have to get some tubing, so i can run guides for the boom lines. Hope to use the two boom lines on one winch, n then a single line on the other winch. Still alot to get done n may is creepin up fast. Would like to have it done for ECC.

Thats all ive got for know fellars. Heres some pics of wat i got done today...

Old 04-04-2024, 05:30 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Made some more progress on this ol girl. Made a bracket for the boom pulley, with a piece of rod on the back for a pivot point. Welded a tab on either boom for the rod to sit in. Works really good, had to finese the holes just a touch, so it would move free.

The pulley that mounts on the head rack, i was debatin makin it pivot, but it worked out mountin it solid. I was goin to run a dual cable setup for the booms, but i think a single cable will be fine. I mounted a tab on the passenger side, for tying the end of the cable. I need to get a couple servo winches, so i can figure out where to mount them n how im goina run the lines.

The winch for pullin/towin shouldnt be to hard to get lined out. The pulley on the head rack, i used 2 of the curved tabs, to keep it a lil lower. Then i used a couple short links, to make a sling out of. Straight end on one end, n a angled on on the other. Then used some 1/2" flat bar for the upper n lower pieces, that the rubber straps attach too. Ive got to get the straps done yet. Also added some tabs for shackle mounts too.

But it all works pretty good. The green line is just for mock up, think ill use actual cable for the winches. So ill get winches on order this week n get another update soon. Thanks for checkin in yall! Heres a few pics til next time, n a short vid, if itll play lolhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/660e8f1f...403_152220.mp4

Old 04-04-2024, 08:41 AM   #34

Wow that's some serious fab work. I love the style of the boom!
Old 04-04-2024, 09:46 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Wow that's some serious fab work. I love the style of the boom!
Thanks jato! Its been a fun build for sure. Ive looked at so many cable boom style wrecker beds, just to get ideas. Ive got another idea to add the control handles at the back n make them work, but that may have to wait til after ECC. I think 2 of the micro servos n traxxas shift cables or shift rods will work to make them move. Use a y harness to connect a micro n a winch together, to give it a more realistic action

Old 04-04-2024, 03:15 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Looks like crap! JK, dude the detail in the boom and bed arms is amazing. I wish your picture edges didnt cut off part of the pic. Will you do anything to the rear suspension? Walking beam, leaf springs? More pics, whats it weigh now?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:07 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Lol, thanks Gula! I need to see about cleanin up the welds a lil more, or i may do body filler. It definantly needs stiffer springs, or i may add a leaf on top of the axle, to act as a helper spring. As for weight, im not sure yet, but i can say, shes a heavy one. Im goina guess close to 10 or 12 lbs

Old 04-05-2024, 05:12 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Got the sling finished yesterday. Used an old tire for the straps, really needed 2 more of the 2 hole tabs for the top. I may drill n cut a couple next time im workin on it.

She definantly goina need some stiffer springs, or as i mentioned to gula, add a leaf as a helper spring. Dont sag to bad sittin there, but addin the weight of another rig puts the bed on the tires.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:37 AM   #39
Go Buckeyes!

So cool bama! Love the tire idea. Nice progress being made.

Have you figured out yet how you’re going to shift the tow vehicles out of park?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:12 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

ya what they sead lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bama 6x - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The bama phoenix indybama 1.9 Scale Rigs 130 10-23-2023 10:52 AM
Bama Projects JDIRCC Alabama 6 01-11-2015 07:29 AM
Southeast Bama smuggl1n Alabama 18 07-11-2013 09:05 PM