Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Bama 6x

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2024, 12:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Bama 6x

Well, i did a thing earlier this week. To begin with, i sold a buddy one of my straight axle phoenix rigs. Got the poor guy hooked lol. Had been wantin to snag up a 6x6 for awhile now, n finally got my chance. Our ol buddy @twade984 decided to let his go, so i helped him out sellin it.

Ive got an idea in mind, for a 6x6 wrecker. Im sure somebody else has done it. Happened to have a phoenix cab sittin on the shelf, really liked how twades looked on there. Not sure wat wheels im goina run yet, to many options to pick from.

Also picked up a HW1080 and HH crawlmaster sport 550 13t, n an amazon 35kg servo from twade as well. Ive already got them installed.

Also ordered a builders pack of tabs from rc fab tabs n some 3/16 rod from scale metal supplies. Now i need to get a bender so i can start fabbin up the bed when it all gets here. Goina be the first rc metal build ive done.

Also found some 3d printed stacks ive had for awhile. Think they may make theyre way in the build, not sure yet. On the fence about the light bar too. Heres pics so far

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2024, 02:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bama 6x

So far so good Adam. Look forward to seeing running vids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 02:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
So far so good Adam. Look forward to seeing running vids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks tom! I cant wait to get started, let alone get vid of it lol

Old 01-06-2024, 03:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looking forward to following your progress. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty bad @$$ rig!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 04:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Looking forward to following your progress. Sounds like it's going to be a pretty bad @$$ rig!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Thanks jim! Im hoping so

Old 01-06-2024, 04:47 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Wicked! I am jelly, a wrecker sounds fun

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:17 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Nice! I wondered where the 6X was going to land when I saw that it was for sale. A wrecker sounds like a cool build.

I'll be here to see how it turns out!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well, got my new wheels in today. I likem, definantly glad i didnt go with the black ones. They went together fairy nicely. The rears put up a little fit, but they foams are a bit wider n stiffer than the fronts.

Now to wait for the tabs n rod for the bed. The rod should be here by this weekend, i hope.

Heres some pics, til next update. Thanks for checkin in yall

Old 01-11-2024, 04:38 PM   #9

Choosts! They look good. I don't like the black versions so I think you made the right choice.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:06 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Choosts! They look good. I don't like the black versions so I think you made the right choice.
Thanks jato! Wish i couldve snagged some of the VP ones before they disappeared

Old 01-12-2024, 04:04 AM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

Sweet wheels! I guess I'll have to pick up a set of these FauxRoost since the real ones are no longer available! Do you hear that Vanquish! We need you to make these again!

Anyways, it gonna look great wheel and tire combo!
Old 01-30-2024, 06:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Ok, time for an update yall. Finally got my SMS order in last week, so i got a little work done tonight. I had to drill out the smaller holes in some of the tabs, for m3 screws to go thru. Now, keep in mind, im doin this with a vice, vicegrips, channel locks, speedy cut, n a mig welder lol.

Started up behind te cab. Had to trim the plastic below the rear slider screw, so i could mount the front tabs. The plan was to do an arch over the wheels, but i kinda like the angled look a bit better. A little fiddlin, i got the others side mirrored almost perfect.

Decided to do a bit of a dovetail at the back. When i bent the end of the rod at the rear, it ended up a bit lower than i had planned. So i cut it off, n brought it up to the stock bumper mounts. Which worked out pretty good. I added a couple studs to slide into the bumper mount holes.

The top bar is just barely above the servo cover on the body, but i done it that way to help hold the body. The rear bar is even with the top of the bumper mount, so when i do the body panels, itll still cover it. I went for the slight angle up to meet the top bar. Had just enuf rod left over to fill the gap between the two top bars.

So now, ive got to stock up on some more materials. Hope to start on the booms soon. Got some good ideas for them. Also thinkin of ditchin the plastic outter sliders n make some out of solid rod. Thatll also help to get the body on n off.

Not to bad for my first scratch built body. Yall have any ideas, theyre much appreciated. Thanks for check in! Heres some pics of progress

Old 01-30-2024, 06:51 PM   #13
Slow is the new Fast

Cool, cool. Stoked on this one. Couldn't think of a better idea for a 6 by

Old 01-31-2024, 03:45 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Nice progress. Lookin' good! Excited to see how this is gonna turn out!
Old 01-31-2024, 04:42 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Thank u fells! Im pretty excited to get back on this one. Its not goina be pretty, but im good with that. Itll look like it just thrown together by a guy n had a hard life. The paint is goina be the tricky part for me

Old 02-05-2024, 06:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Alright fellas, got a lil bit more progress made. Sat i went to the Home De pot n got some more materials. Holy crap!!!! Walked out $100 poorer smh. The sq tubing, didnt realize til i got to the truck, was $27. I picked up 4 short pieces of 1/8" rod. Well, i stopped at wally world n as i was puttin stuff in the bed of the truck, i noticed the 4 short pieces werent there. Only thing i could figure, was it slid to the back n fell out thru the gap in the tailgate. So i stopped at TSC n got some more. I get to the house n the lady at home depot had put the 4 small ones in the bag smh. Boy did i feel like an idiot lol.

Today, i got back on it. Really havin fun with this build! A buddy suggested i build the booms like back in the 60s and/or 70s, with the tube style. So i went with it n they turned out pretty good. Ive got some touch up welds n more grindin to do, but theyre comin along.

Also redone the top bar, didnt like how it turned out the first time. I know they dont match from side to side, n im good with that. Gives it the worn beat up look. Added a piece of 1/2" flat bar from one side to the other to mount the booms on.

When i started the booms, i welded a tab straight to the end of the 1/4" rod. After i got the center spreader piece on it, i ended up cuttin a groove in the end of the rod for the tabs. Wish id thought of that in the first place lol. The square tabs from the master build sheet worked perfect for the spreader, just had to drill the holes out a touch n drill a center hole. I ran the 1/8" rod thru the spreader n tacked it on one end, then cut off the other end before i tacked it.

The tabs on the bed, i spaced them with a washer between the tab n the boom tab. So after i got them on n pulled the washers out, it has plenty of room to move freely. The boom goes quite a was up before it starts to get snug n bind. More than itll ever need to go up. The roller at the end of the boom is just for mock up, ive got grooved one for final build.

I believe, im goin to make servo mounts to the bed, so if ive ever got to take it off, i dont have to undo all the cables. Just unplug the servos n off it comes.

Ill get back on it thurs. So until then, heres some progress pics for yall

Old 02-05-2024, 07:47 PM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

She's starting to look like something! Great progress!

You know, that losing stuff and then finding it sure sounds like something I would do! Glad to hear you found the tubing. Sucks that it has to cost so damn much!
Old 02-06-2024, 05:59 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Looks good man, tried to text you back last night but it wouldn’t go through for some reason. Now hurry up and finish this thing
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:38 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks brian! Its been a fun build so far. Definantly wont be my last custom build like this.

Gotta love technology lol. Appreciate it tom! Ill b back on it thurs evening. Gotta make a few changes on wat ive got done, but theyre minor. Need to go thru the ends of the booms n touch up weld some holes.

Cant wait to get it done n try it out. But all tge farther along it is, shes got a dump truck on her lol

Old 02-06-2024, 01:41 PM   #20
Slow is the new Fast

Nice start Bama! Keep the fun coming...

Bama 6x - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The bama phoenix indybama 1.9 Scale Rigs 130 10-23-2023 10:52 AM
Bama Projects JDIRCC Alabama 6 01-11-2015 07:29 AM