Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Yet another PSC Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Your Spyder Tuber is coming along Awesome man..!! Great Work - I BET you can't wait to do this with it though..!!!

I KNOW how long it takes to build a rig like this from scratch ( obviously..) There were a few times I asked "why am i doing this..??" because sometimes it felt like no matter HOW long i worked on it for, it NEVER seemed to get done...BUT it was ALL worth it once completed and the first time i took it out on the rocks was a total blast....!!! You'll see what i mean in a few months....Again, Awesome job Man..!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #42
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post
what grade aluminium are you using Chud? 5xxx, 6xxx etc. Really nice and clean machining. Do you use the jig to drill in the al. rods?

How do you plan to put diagonal braces (to create triangles between braces for strength) and body panels?

Watching this with great interest as I think building a cage with screws is much harder than brazing it... very very interesting... I guess a "may the force be with you" is in order ;)
Thanks Toughbeard. I'm using 6061 T6, 1/4" rod. I'm not planning on doing any triangulation, but I might have a few angled pieces coming up....so far it's all been 90 degree connections. I've got a few ideas of fixtures that I might have to make. I plan to connect body panels by drilling and tapping the rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdaddy View Post
are making them to sale
No, I'm not selling this....I'm not a vendor. Right now, I can't even afford a regular star :-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrnic1 View Post
I m So FREAKIN JELOUS. I want you and your shop at my disposal!!! Save all your specs and you could sell the highest quality scale rig ever built! Im so freakin impressed i cant hardly stand to look at my scaler that i screwed together, your makes me too imbarresed to even post pics...:-( Keep it coming!
Thanks!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #43
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Your Spyder Tuber is coming along Awesome man..!! Great Work - I BET you can't wait to do this with it though..!!!

I KNOW how long it takes to build a rig like this from scratch ( obviously..) There were a few times I asked "why am i doing this..??" because sometimes it felt like no matter HOW long i worked on it for, it NEVER seemed to get done...BUT it was ALL worth it once completed and the first time i took it out on the rocks was a total blast....!!! You'll see what i mean in a few months....Again, Awesome job Man..!
Hey thanks a bunch for the compliments, and encouragement. It means a lot to hear that coming from you. You're right though.....I CAN'T WAIT!!! I remember the first thing you said to me a few months ago was P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E. I haven't had much time to work on it lately....it's 8:15 PM and I'm just leaving work . Super busy this month, so hopefully the new year will bring me some time. Thanks again for checking out my work!
Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

Look what I have found...

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=833

it look pretty similar to me....

well, I realized you based yours on it lol I missed the link on the first page :p

getting old is good...

Last edited by Toughbeard; 12-13-2008 at 03:59 AM. Reason: I am a goof ball...
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #45
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post
Look what I have found...

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=833

it look pretty similar to me....

well, I realized you based yours on it lol I missed the link on the first page :p

getting old is good...

Close, but I actually based mine off of the same rig that RC4WD based theirs off of. 51WillysJeep is the real mastermind behind this truck, and deserves all the credit. If anyone likes my build, they should do themselves a favor, and read through his:

Poison Spyder "Bruiser" Build # 2
Old 12-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

oh sweet, thank you m8. Now I need to find that one article where the builder was making hydrolic dig and steering....

awesome build m8.
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #47
No idea what I'm doing

Default Front fender rails

Toughbeard asked how I was going to handle triangulation......this isn't much, but I thought someone might find this interesting. I had to do some odd angles on my stinger, and this is how I solved the problem. Here's the pics........I know I'm not always clear, and if you have questions, or want better pics, let me know. This was a quick and dirty fixture I made on the mill......not perfect, but it worked:

Once the fixture was made, I was able to drill the hole I needed with a hand drill. Then I unbolted the stinger, and put it in the vise. I used a gauge pin to align the hole and then used a counter-bore to finish the stinger. Here are the pics:

Here is the final product. I was pretty happy with the end result, but spent many hours saying to myself, "How the HELL did he (51WillysJeep) do this"?!?

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 12-14-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Looks good Juan. Very clean as always.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Omg
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #50
20K Club

Wow, you have some great ideas on how to execute these things so perfectly. Very impressive!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #51
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
Looks good Juan. Very clean as always.

Justin
Thanks Justin.....I'm throwing a box in the mail for you today. Keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Wow, you have some great ideas on how to execute these things so perfectly. Very impressive!
Thanks Harley. This is the first time I've ever built one of these, so I don't really know any real "tricks of the trade" so to speak. Anytime I hit a snag, I like to post how I figured it out. One thing I like about RCC is everyone seems so eager to share. I've read through quite a bit of your stuff in the modeling and CAD section. Great info!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

This is the first time I've ever built one of these, so I don't really know any real "tricks of the trade" so to speak.
First time You haven't ever even built one from a kit have you, Juan?
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #53
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
First time You haven't ever even built one from a kit have you, Juan?
Nope......some crazy RC Crawler fanatic dumped a bunch of parts at my house, so I figured I should do something with them .
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Hey Juan,
I started doing the body work for the build that I am starting if you want to check it out over in the General Scale section. Its called Jeep WJ Build. Now, if I could only get someone to trade me their Losi MRC for a comp WK.

Justin
Old 12-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #55

im diggin the cleanliness. ill keep an eye on this one.
kiyul4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #56
No idea what I'm doing

Default I'm back

It's been a few weeks since I've been able to do anything on this. I was hoping to have the chassis done before the end of the year, but I'm a few days late. Anyway..........

I started on the rear section a few days ago. The rear main hoop is too tall to put in the vise in order to drill and tap the ends so I made a few more fixtures. I like to drill a pilot hole first, especially if the hole is to be tapped, so I made two of these. Nothing special, but they worked well, and I can use a hand drill instead of a mill or press.

After that it was pretty easy to get the lowers on.

I still have to put the two uppers on, and one rear cross brace and that should be it. The rest is just things like the hood, grill, winch, etc.....

I hope to start on the link mounts for the axles soon, and have a rolling chassis shortly after. I need to buy a set of shocks though. Now that the holidays are over, things should roll a bit smoother. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Great job, very clean and nice bends. Glad to see you back on this, keep it up.

Justin
Old 01-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Thats impressive! Love it.
G-crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Dont you just love solidworks. Great idea on all the mini jigs you came up with. Sweet build.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #60
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
Great job, very clean and nice bends. Glad to see you back on this, keep it up.

Justin
Thanks Justin. Hoping to keep Santa off my back for awhile, but that's the price you pay for being an elf and working in a toy shop for a fat guy in December .

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-crawler View Post
Thats impressive! Love it.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabax View Post
Dont you just love solidworks. Great idea on all the mini jigs you came up with. Sweet build.
I do!! But Solidworks is just one tool at work here. I also use a few free open-source programs like Blender and Inkscape. (not to mention multi-thousand dollar programs like GibbsCAM)

Not a very interesting update today.......just the two cross-bars in the back. I was hoping to have the two upper bars done, but I wanted to work on my suspension links this weekend so I made a 12.5" fixture for that. Pics to follow.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 01-02-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Forgot Picture