Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Yet another PSC Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
No idea what I'm doing

Default Yet another PSC Build

I know, I know....Not another one. I'm new to all this, but this is the build that really motivated me. Poison Spyder "Bruiser" Build # 2

I'm sure you have all seen it, so no explanation is needed.

First I'd like to thank (or strangle) Toybuilder for giving me a complete set of 2.2 wheels, axles and radio gear....I hate you for getting me obsessed with this hobby!

Second I'd like to thank 51WillysJeep for the motivation to put Toybuilder's parts to good use.

I don't have much cash, so this is a very budget minded build. I don't have a BB-51 chassis, so I had to make my own. While I was at it, I figured I would make some changes. Here is what I was going for to start with:

I am a Solidworks and GibbsCAM user, so I can make most anything I need. 51WillysJeep cut the back 4" off, so I decided to not include that in my design. I also changed the shock mounts so that I could fit 2 complete chassis' on one 6" wide piece of 1/4" aluminum. Here is the result:

I made a few changes to the original chassis, and will post pictures of that soon, but if you look carefully you can see I changed the square slots with 1/4" round slots. I figured if I was going to use 1/4" round bar, it would fit better having 1/4" slots.

I have a powder coat gun, so I am trying to decide between a red or blue frame. I might just go with Chassis Black.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
No idea what I'm doing

Default Rails

I got the side rails on, and they seem to be stronger than I expected.....actually the entire frame is much stiffer than I thought it would be with just two cross members. I made those .375" and they are bolted in with 10-32 screws. I would have liked to have used button heads, but the Phillips is what I had laying around the shop....I'll change them out later. Here is how I think it will sit. The beer glass holds it a bit high, but it's all I had laying around at the time. The main hoops over the top are longer than I thought, and I only have 12" long pieces of 1/4" aluminum rod, so I'll have to order some before I can make them. Anyway, here it is so far.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Is that some Octoberfest I see?!

Rails look good.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Dont spill the beer man, we'll have to get you for alchahol abuse.

Nice design. I like the blue chassis myself. What color will the body end up being?
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
No idea what I'm doing

Default Joining test

Hey thanks guys! It's actually a homebrewed Pale Ale.....I think my table gives it a darker color.

Not sure about the final color, but I was thinking of a Yellow body. Still not sure about the frame, but I think black would highlight the aluminum rods, and make a yellow body look good.

The aluminum I have is too short to make the cage I want, so I had to order some. I went to onlinemetals.com and got 5, 36" pieces of 1/4", 6061 shipped to my door for about $21. Not too bad I thought.....it should be here in about a week. In the meantime, I started to think about how I was going to join the rods together. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use 4-40's or M3's. I drew them both up in Solidworks, and I think the M3 head would make for too large of a counterbore. 4-40 on left....M3 on the right.

I did a quick test on some small pieces, and I think the 4-40 is the way to go. With that screw, I can just counterbore with a 3/16th endmill, instead of having to interpolate a larger hole on the mill. This is with a .125" deep counterbore. I like the way the joint connects as well. I fishmouthed it with a 1/4" endmill on the lathe.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Looks good.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Nice work so far

Does your username happen to stand for...

Cannibalistic
Humanoid
Underground
Dweller?

wrx-n-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx-n-ktm View Post
Nice work so far

Does your username happen to stand for...

Cannibalistic
Humanoid
Underground
Dweller?

Thanks! Yeah, that's it. It started out as a joke nickname for a friend. I started using it as my online gaming name for IL-2 Sturmovik, and Urban Terror. It's kind of stuck, so I figured I'd use it here.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

Default 4 Link

I was able to get my 4 link lengths figured out. My shocks are 100mm, and I wanted around 12.5" for my wheel base. From that, I was able to get the link lengths I wanted and here they are. It's just 1/4" aluminum rod that I drilled and tapped to accept lengths of 4-40 all-thread. I tried installing the rear, but I still need to come up with an idea for mounting the upper links to the top of the axle. I'll probably try to come up with something early next week. My shipment of aluminum rod from onlinemetals.com will be here on Monday....a bit earlier than what I thought, so I should be able to get started on the rest of the chassis too.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

Default Rear Links

I got busy with another project over in the Losi MRC section this week and didn't get much done on my own truck. If interested, here is what I was up to:

Stripped Lockers

My 1/4" rod showed up this past Monday, and I was pretty impressed with the speed and packaging of my order. Thanks onlinemetals.com . Before I got started on the cage for my truck, I wanted to get the rear axle link setup figured out. I wanted to go with 4 wheel steering, but that will have to wait until later. I didn't want to ruin my rear TLT axle, so I came up with this. I'll have to come up with something different for the front, and again later for the rear, but this should help to get me rolling:

I really need to take another look at my link lengths. I designed my original link mount in Solidworks, but it didn't work like I planned. I overestimated the freedom of rotation these little links have, and was forced to come up with this second design. I did it quick and dirty on the mill, but it threw my measurements right out the window. I think there is going to be more trial and error than I thought. Oh well, it's still fun!. I'd post more but right now I'm making breakfast burritos for the competition this weekend in Buffalo Creek.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
RCC Addict

You have great machining skills man. Do you have a mill at your house or at work? Great job so far. I may see if you can help me out with my build I am trying to start.

*SUBSCRIBED*

Justin
Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

HOLY CRAP!!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!!
subscribed
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
You have great machining skills man. Do you have a mill at your house or at work? Great job so far. I may see if you can help me out with my build I am trying to start.

*SUBSCRIBED*

Justin
Thanks guys....I try to do at least one interesting thing every few days, so I hope to get this thing moving by the end of the year.

I run our mills here at work which includes a 2-axis ProtoTrak and a 3-axis Milltronics. We also have a fairly decent lathe that comes in handy from time to time.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

wow man thats some good stuff! what trasnny you have in mind?
Jones323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones323 View Post
wow man thats some good stuff! what trasnny you have in mind?
Thanks Jones. Like I said at the beginning, I don't have a lot of cash to throw at this, so I plan to make one. Toybuilder gave me a bunch of Stampede parts, but I didn't really like the housing. I locked the differential and plan on building a new housing for it that will allow it to run the drive shafts right down the center. I also want to run the motor in the front with another gear reduction and shaft connecting it to the transfer case. I have a few ideas modeled up, but nothing ready to machine yet.....hopefully before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

Default Beginning the Cage

Holiday prep and being busy at work has kept me from really doing anything to this the past couple of days. I started on the cage since that will help me determine where I want to place things like my motor and transfer case. All I got done today was the two main hoops. It's a start, but I'm afraid it will be all I get to this week. I also said earlier that I would post some better pics of the change I made to the square slots, so that's in here too. My next step is to get the top rails of the cage, and front stinger made. It looks a bit big right now, so I hope the stinger will add some scale and perspective. I hope I don't have to re-do the main hoops, but you never know.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Default Motor Plan

Oops.....I meant to include this in the above post. Sorry about that. I've had some questions about my motor placement, and transmission. I figured I'd show what I had planned and see what some of you thought. I still have to design the transfer case, but I plan to run a reduction from the motor via shaft to the transfer case. The motor will be up front and the transfer case will be centered in the rails and centered front to back. I really want the driveshafts to run right down the centers too. Anyway, here is what I'm planning. The motor will probably sit lower......still working things out:

Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #18

you are doin a realy good job man...keep up tha good work...
TLT-ROCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:59 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Looks good to me CHUD. My favorite thing about your build is the fact that everything is bolted together and that the bolts are hidden. Truly amazing work.

Justin
Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge88 View Post
Looks good to me CHUD. My favorite thing about your build is the fact that everything is bolted together and that the bolts are hidden. Truly amazing work.

Justin
Thanks Justin.........that's exactly what caught my attention on 51WillysJeep's build. His Poison Spyder "Bruiser" builds are works of art. If I can get close to the look he accomplished, I'll be happy.