Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: "BB-51" Scale Chassis *NOW WITH 50% MORE WHEELS!*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #241
I wanna be Dave

Plenty of room for all you gayboys on my big brass bed It'll be painted to match the bodywork, and have a wooden deck.
Attached Images

microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #242
RCC Addict

Dude that thing totally rocks. From the look of things, did you use the stock TLT 4-links for the front?
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #243
Rock Crawler

That is so euro trials! way cool how bout a big beefy skidder for the front overhang
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:16 AM   #244
I wanna be Dave

Trikster, I used the link locations, but the links themselves are shorter. It was the only way I could make the 4-link work with a 5.5-inch wheelbase.

Miniwheeler, a skid would look cool but would probably just get in the way. Doesn't mean I won't try it, though. Might save the bumper some grief.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #245
RCC Addict

How much shorter if I may ask? Do you have any binding issues on the links? I tried a shorty a while ago and all I got was binding issues (I also got very tight suspension at center-level that would flop to one side but not recenter, regardless of the spring used). Granted my wheelbase was just a tad shorter @ 5 inches, but I wouldn't think that 1/4" on the links would make that much of a difference.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #246
I wanna be Dave

I'm not exactly sure, but they're damned stubby. I did space the chassis plates out to match the BB-51's rails, so the plates are closer to 3 inches apart than 2. The lowers are really close to binding on the brackets, and the uppers on the second axle are bent, with the balls mounted directly to the axle rather than using brackets. I don't recall if I did that because I ran out of brackets or if it was to clear the giant tranny. Either way, it seems to work. The axle's movement is limited by the shocks so I must have done something right. There is, however, a little bit of pinion tilt as the axle travels vertically so the geometry is far from perfect. There really isn't a good way to set up a 4-link this short; only less bad ways.

From a scaleness perspective, a leaf-sprung walking beam would be the ideal setup, but that would limit travel and I wanted to keep some performance in this pig.

I did manage to get the bed frame painted. Working on the lumber now. Picked up a load of 1/2 x 1/8 basswood at work, as it was only 3cents more per strip than balsa and much stronger and generally better looking. I've got maybe a third of the strips cut to length. The plan is to stain them with mud, used motor oil, BBQ ashes, etc and have planks that look a bit used, rather than show-truck planks. I know it's cheating. Sue me
Old 11-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #247
I wanna be Dave

Well, I'm sure glad I tested out the weathering on some scraps first. It ended up looking contrived and fake, so I'll leave the wood naked and let it weather itself.

All I need now is another pair of semi rims (on order at the LHS) and this one will be done (again)
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #248
I wanna be Dave

A little light oil and a coat of satin polyurethane would look good on that bed Goat.

Overall, it turned our really well!

Congrats on another great build!

Now about that 71 Jeepster Commando!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #249
Rock Stacker

Very, VERY nice work. What did you use for that bed? (wood)
viper7016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #250
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper7016
What did you use for that bed? (wood)
Nope, thats some space age aluminum I sold him
or,crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:57 AM   #251
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
Picked up a load of 1/2 x 1/8 basswood at work, as it was only 3cents more per strip than balsa and much stronger and generally better looking. I've got maybe a third of the strips cut to length.
Nobody reads anymore...