Notices

Thread: Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 04:05 AM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop Shaft View Post
Yeah at this point I cant see it panning out very well. Im going to build the kit the way it was designed and give it a whirl. But I honestly cant see this steering setup staying for long.
Maybey a drop or 2 of lubricant on the cables?
Wehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
That actually looks so mint! Will the body take long to assemble? Btw does anyone know where i could buy something like that cable stuff?
Thanks! The body will take me a while, theres a lot of peices and some work to be done trimming some flashing and prepping for paint. Still deciding on a color. Open to suggestions. And I wish I knew where I could get some cable like this too, if anyone has a link plz post it. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wehan View Post
Maybey a drop or 2 of lubricant on the cables?
I may try some silicone chain lube I have but I'm weary of gumming things up, the cables seem to move pretty freely all ready.
Prop Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

I would not use anything wet on the cables. Dri Slide or some similar dry lube would better. Maybe you can pre stretch the cables. This is a goofy idea idea but since it is pull/pull you could try something like Kevlar Tenkara Line instead of wire. Kevlar will have almost zero stretch. 19 Foot Kevlar Tenkara Furled Leader Line | eBay
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Oddly the issues of compression and things hitting is common on the 1:1 JK. Maybe not the same parts, but same issue, especially full compression of Passenger side.

Perfectly scale of real problems!
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
I would not use anything wet on the cables. Dri Slide or some similar dry lube would better. Maybe you can pre stretch the cables. This is a goofy idea idea but since it is pull/pull you could try something like Kevlar Tenkara Line instead of wire. Kevlar will have almost zero stretch. 19 Foot Kevlar Tenkara Furled Leader Line | eBay
Thats a neat idea i will have to look into that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Oddly the issues of compression and things hitting is common on the 1:1 JK. Maybe not the same parts, but same issue, especially full compression of Passenger side.

Perfectly scale of real problems!
Well thats interesting to know. Lol, who knew?!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Default Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823

Got to work on the engine/transmission.

Shift forks

Bolted on tranny tail

Transfer case mounted

Gears installed

A look at the 2wd/4wd shift mechanism

It seems to work really smooth. Only thing im not thrilled about is how open the top of the trans is to outside debris.

Disc brake cam and piston

No brake pads to speak of. Just metal on metal.

Mounted up

Using the 45 can motor that came with the cross 8x8. 45t is recommended in the manual and I had this one laying around so.... Notice the brass helical pinion gear. Hope its durable.

Rest of the gears installed.

All greased up and ready to close up.

Oil pan installed.

Started mounting the 3 sub micro servos.

And this is where I leave it for the night. This thing reminds me alot of the original bruiser trans. It functions much the same way, with the exception that it looks realistic on the outside.

Last edited by Prop Shaft; 05-26-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

Good progress. If you're open to suggestions for color, i'd personally go either white, gun metal grey, or orange. Matte or gloss though, I don't know.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
Good progress. If you're open to suggestions for color, i'd personally go either white, gun metal grey, or orange. Matte or gloss though, I don't know.
Hmmm... I'm liking the gun metal idea.... Would go well with my planned driver!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

So I made a trip to the local hobby store today, and boy my wallet payed for it...
I was looking for a dx8 or futaba 7 channel but all they had was a DX9. A hefty price tag but I rationalized it by telling myself this will be the last transmitter ill ever have to buy. Im good at convincing myself I need to buy things lol. Now I can install servos and make sure they are centered properly. And I have my switch layout mostly figured out now. Plan is lights and a winch for the extra channels. Work will continue tonight!
Old 05-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Got some work done on the jeep last night. I had to elongate the holes on the servos in order to screw the engine halves together.

You screw one side of the servos in, then the other sides after the engine halves go together.

I had to take the oil pan off in order to rout one of the cables through the transmission.

Then I encountered a problem. The hole where the cable comes out is to large. It swallows the cable sheath.
My solution was to take one of the spare brass cable mount pieces, (not sure what they're called) and remove some material from the side of it so it would fit into the hole. I had to do this because the side of the transmission case is very close to the hole.

1 very tiny motor and some tiny screws to mount it.

This drives the accessory belt.

I had a bit of a problem adjusting the servo for the brake. It was working fine, then it got a mind of its own, then it just stopped working. After spending some time trying to figure out what was going on, I realized my 2s lipo was basically dead. So i swapped it out, and still the brake servo wouldn't respond. Turns out I have a dead servo. I ordered 4, but now i dont have one to mount the steering wheel to. Heres the brake lever with brakes off

And brakes applied.

The 2wd/4wd cable was having a hard time operating as well, after staring at it for a while, I decided the sheath was to long. Shortened it up to the position its sitting in here. Works much better now.

Last edited by Prop Shaft; 05-28-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Nice build. Why did you go with a stick controller? No pistol controls with enough channels?
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
Nice build. Why did you go with a stick controller? No pistol controls with enough channels?
Presicely. I did concider a hacked gt3 c but i couldnt find much info on them other then theyre a pain to program, and i never got an email reply back from the guy whose selling them. When will manufacturers wake up and make a 6 channel or more pistol..... *sigh*
Old 05-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

You can buy a gt3b pre hacked. You would only need to program it once. Either way Spektrum make good gear.
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
You can buy a gt3b pre hacked. You would only need to program it once. Either way Spektrum make good gear.
I know but couldnt find much info about the number of switches and locations of them etc. was hoping to find out more info in that respect. Im happy with this radio though, ill just have to get used to sticks again.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Got the transfer case shift linkage sorted.

Bit of a breakdown of the accessory pulleys

And installed

Done for the night. Im at the point where i need to drag the airbrush out to do some painting. I want the valve covers red. Then its on to the body. Still torn on a color....
Old 05-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Holy Mother of God. I don't which is shinier the Transmission Case or the DX9

The little brass thing is a ferrule and I am surprised there wasn't one for the over large trans hole. It is not shown in the parts list? Seems like it would have to have one. The shorter and straighter you can run those cables the better they will actuate and less they will drag and stretch out. If they are not already lubed try DriSlide. It will run right down the wire inside the sheath and then dry...but it is a filthy mess.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:52 AM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStorm View Post
Holy Mother of God. I don't which is shinier the Transmission Case or the DX9

The little brass thing is a ferrule and I am surprised there wasn't one for the over large trans hole. It is not shown in the parts list? Seems like it would have to have one. The shorter and straighter you can run those cables the better they will actuate and less they will drag and stretch out. If they are not already lubed try DriSlide. It will run right down the wire inside the sheath and then dry...but it is a filthy mess.
The only place they were specified was on the axles. Nothing shown in the manual for one on the trans. Ill have to look into this drislide you speak of.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Not much in the way of an update. Im busy at work, plus Im messing with the paint currently. A tedious process for me. Thinking I'm going with blue. Now Im just decided on which blue I want. Making a trip to the hobby store tomorrow to see what options there are in the Tamiya lineup. I did manage to get the engine painted and installed though. Along with the prop shafts.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Nice build!
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin707 View Post
Nice build!

Thanks

Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capo 1582-2 Tatra 817 8x8 and Cross MC8 Man Kat 1 8x8 Prop Shaft Multi Axle Rigs 24 06-18-2021 04:31 AM
MadDogRC Capo Jeep CD15823 Mad4Rnr Large Scale Rigs 46 11-22-2015 08:29 PM
Capo R/C and some new stuff Szczerba Chit Chat 27 07-08-2015 09:16 AM
New ultimate scale rig from Capo rc scale4x4 General Scale Talk 71 02-16-2015 12:48 AM
Capo Rc making a new truck jpf General Crawlers 17 09-23-2014 12:47 PM