Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ryft servo/save question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ryft servo/save question

Hey folks,

My wife recently won a new Ryft at the Badlands Axialfest raffle. I'm familiar with many of the issues people have been having with theirs. So far though (keeping fingers crossed) the only thing that has broken is a rod end (due to a collision) and the stock servo saver wasted pretty quick. I ordered the Axial 23T metal servo arm to replace it. But I was told that the stock servo will likely fail next.

Is there a 23T servo saver that isn't junk that you guys can recommend? And assuming the steering servo dies, what's a beefy replacement?

Thanks,

NP
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ryft servo/save question

First, cancel order for that servo horn (if you can), or return it as soon as you get it (if you cannot cancel the order). Next, get yourself a higher quality, stronger, faster servo. RTR servos (from most companies) are notorious for being underpowered, and too slow. Then, either get the Losi LMT servo saver horn...or, better yet, get the machined aluminum LMT Servo saver horn from Hot Racing.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
First, cancel order for that servo horn (if you can), or return it as soon as you get it (if you cannot cancel the order). Next, get yourself a higher quality, stronger, faster servo. RTR servos (from most companies) are notorious for being underpowered, and too slow. Then, either get the Losi LMT servo saver horn...or, better yet, get the machined aluminum LMT Servo saver horn from Hot Racing.

Thanks for the advice bud. Can't cancel the order but it was only $8 so I'll use it on one of my crawlers.

Cheers,

NP
Old 06-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I lightly bumped a rock with my RTR servo (with aluminum horn) and it broke the gears inside. Definitely plan on replacing that servo soon.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Then, either get the Losi LMT servo saver horn...or, better yet, get the machined aluminum LMT Servo saver horn from Hot Racing.
The Hot Racing servo saver is not the one to get (it is possibly even a downgrade from the stock LMT servo saver), the LMT servo saver made by Treal is the way to go.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I dropped a Reefs 444 in my Ryft. They are a 25T spline.
For Servo Savers there are a few options.

Vitavon has one coming.
Treal has one but out of stock (one green one for a Losi LMT on Amazon yesterday).
ServoAF has a drag link stle servo saver, so it will go with any servo and decent servo arm.

Then Vanquish is making stuff. Maybe they will bring one to market too.

I will be patiently waiting for the ServoAF unit to become available. They say first week of July, so any time.

Update. I swapped the 444 to a Reefs 555 I had in my SSD TK rig. Put the 444 in that.

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-06-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Timmahh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Hot Racing servo saver is not the one to get (it is possibly even a downgrade from the stock LMT servo saver), the LMT servo saver made by Treal is the way to go.
I know, compared to the stock Ryft servo saver, the HR part is a HUGE improvement...MUCH stronger, plus it's fully adjustable, plus you can 'lock' is in place (with the grub screw), plus the upper & lower pieces are both machined aluminum. So, I'm just curious...but, how is it a 'downgrade' compared to the Losi LMT servo saver (especially considering the Losi part is mostly plastic)?

Old 06-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know, compared to the stock Ryft servo saver, the HR part is a HUGE improvement...MUCH stronger, plus it's fully adjustable, plus you can 'lock' is in place (with the grub screw), plus the upper & lower pieces are both machined aluminum. So, I'm just curious...but, how is it a 'downgrade' compared to the Losi LMT servo saver (especially considering the Losi part is mostly plastic)?
A bunch of the LMT crowd tried out the HR servo savers because they were the first option on the market and they wore out or broke within a few packs. The stock LMT servo saver holds up better but the Treal is the vastly preferred upgrade (which is why it goes out of stock frequently).
Old 06-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A bunch of the LMT crowd tried out the HR servo savers because they were the first option on the market and they wore out or broke within a few packs. The stock LMT servo saver holds up better but the Treal is the vastly preferred upgrade (which is why it goes out of stock frequently).
Got ya. Well, I'm still gonna give the HR unit a try...and, if it fails in a short period, then I'll order the Treal unit (unless Vanquish and/or Vitavon comes out with something equal/better), and use the stock unit until the replacement arrives. However, if end points are properly set, then there's little reason any servo saver should "wear out", or break. I've used HR parts in other vehicles, and never had any problems. Guess time will tell.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:50 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I took apart the stock servo saver. With the exception of the plastic disk that makes contact with the springs (it should have been metal), it's actually a pretty stout piece. I just glued it back together with liberal amounts of gap filling CA and going to run it that way and see what happens. The Treal saver looks really nice but it's pricey.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelPlate View Post
I took apart the stock servo saver. With the exception of the plastic disk that makes contact with the springs (it should have been metal), it's actually a pretty stout piece. I just glued it back together with liberal amounts of gap filling CA and going to run it that way and see what happens. The Treal saver looks really nice but it's pricey.
Its not too bad. 39 I think for the Treal. 19 for the Hot Racing unit.

Servo AF Drag link Saver is 50.

I suspect the Vitavon setup will be in the 50 pennies range as well.

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-01-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I know I can't yet do a "permanent" final assembly, since I still have to take care of the interior...but, just to truly test the HR LMT servo saver, as well as the 3D printed 2-speed shifter that PowerHobby did for me, I might as well do a "temporary" final assembly. At least it would be operational...plus, I'd be able to work on the ESC programming.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Don't bother with the HR servo saver. I got one and it's complete junk. The actual horn itself is nicely machined aluminum with a circular spring but the adapter for different servos are soft plastic rubbish. The don't fit well at all on either the servo or the horn and they break and deform trying to get them off after being pressed on. They're also not marked so you either have to count the teeth or just hope you have the right one.

I don't know why companies insist on using cheap plastic inserts on these so called heavy duty servo savers. I'd gladly pay $5 more for all metal. Should've just got the LMT or Treal.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Don't bother with the HR servo saver. I got one and it's complete junk. The actual horn itself is nicely machined aluminum with a circular spring but the adapter for different servos are soft plastic rubbish. The don't fit well at all on either the servo or the horn and they break and deform trying to get them off after being pressed on. They're also not marked so you either have to count the teeth or just hope you have the right one.

I don't know why companies insist on using cheap plastic inserts on these so called heavy duty servo savers. I'd gladly pay $5 more for all metal. Should've just got the LMT or Treal.
Don't know what in the world you're talking about. For one thing, the one I received (LMJ48SH25) does NOT use inserts...it's specifically a 25T, and ONLY a 25T. For another thing, the piece that's inside the aluminum horn is NOT plastic...it's steel. The only thing I can think of is that, for all of you who think the HR LMT servo saver is "garbage", HR may have redesigned it, and all of your are referring to the old, no-longer-in-production, version. If you look at the image I've posted, you can easily see what I'm talking about.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that, for all of you who think the HR LMT servo saver is "garbage", HR may have redesigned it, and all of your are referring to the old, no-longer-in-production, version.
No, that was the one I was talking about.

The problem with that one is the hex that fits into the servo arm part is not great so you get slop in your steering off the bat. Then the harder hex on the servo spine tube starts to strip out the softer aluminum hole in the servo arm like using a cheap, ill-fitting driver in a stainless screw.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Oh. The one I'm talking about is not that one. It's this one:

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SHS88H;c=434

Quote:
Don't know what in the world you're talking about. For one thing, the one I received (LMJ48SH25) does NOT use inserts...it's specifically a 25T, and ONLY a 25T. For another thing, the piece that's inside the aluminum horn is NOT plastic...it's steel. The only thing I can think of is that, for all of you who think the HR LMT servo saver is "garbage", HR may have redesigned it, and all of your are referring to the old, no-longer-in-production, version. If you look at the image I've posted, you can easily see what I'm talking about.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Oh. The one I'm talking about is not that one. It's this one:

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SHS88H;c=434
Ya, that its a weak servo saver from HR.

The LMT HR type is pretty much identical to the Treal LMT Servo saver which is priced at 38.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The problem with that one is the hex that fits into the servo arm part is not great so you get slop in your steering off the bat. Then the harder hex on the servo spine tube starts to strip out the softer aluminum hole in the servo arm like using a cheap, ill-fitting driver in a stainless screw.
In my initial testing (still haven't done final assembly...sorta-kinda testing in a manner similar to an open computer case), there didn't appear to be any 'slop'...it was rock-solid.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:48 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

You cóuld go for a ‘damper’ on a solid servo horn, i.e. Take an old, not too thick, shock, fix a very hard spring above, and one below the piston, fill with the thickest shock oil You got ( I used Losi 90 hardness) I also filled the space left under the lower spring inside with some thick spacers to get the right shaft length needed, et voilà, instant servosaving. And as a bonus, really tight steering with the looks of a hydraulic ram.

After busting the original, plùs two rather expensive Losi LMT savers, I went for the ‘shock-solution’ and haven’t broken anyting ( yet) after about 4 or 5 runs.. kindof a record for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jay-Em; 08-17-2021 at 05:15 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Update II.
I been using the ServoAF DragSaver (my name) drag link setup wtih the KNK hd 25T horn with fine success. the new springs (from my understanding) on the Drag Saver are heavier then original ones. So far its been very reliable and not compressing except under hard hits as it should.

I also have the Treal Servo Saver for the LMT. But they are also making a Ryft Version now, that should be out any time. It looks like the horn part of the Ryft piece will be lower on the spring perch tucking the horn closer to the servo giving more clearance than the LMT part is.

I'm going to put the LMT saver on my RedCat Gen8 AXE rig. It has a ridiculous angle on steering drag link. So I have an SSD bent drag link coming for it. That with the Treal LMT servo saver should give a bit better steering geometry to the AXE.

Treal also asked about new items for the Ryft. I hit them on a new Diff Design and HD Diff Gears.
Vitavon is also cutting new diff gears. Hopefully they address the ring gear ridge. Considering they are making a R/P already, Maybe I should speak with Edward and see if he can cut one with a thicker shoulder on it instead of the ridge.

Ryft servo/save question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ryft 2 speed Druxus 2.2 Scale Rigs 18 05-28-2022 08:57 AM
MT Ryft TAT76 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 05-05-2021 07:30 AM
vanquish yeti bell cranks & save servo le varan Axial Yeti 2 06-16-2016 11:55 AM
will a servo programmer help save my servos? iluvdrt Electronics 12 02-04-2014 10:58 AM
Hitec 5995tg Robot Servo Fix - Help save your robot servo from overheating kevinlongisland Electronics 56 03-11-2009 03:48 PM