Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Alabama

Notices

Thread: North Alabama crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #21

Default Re: North Alabama crawling

I'm in madison. I've got a place close to my house. But its mostly streams and trails. And lappdogg we di need to plan a little rock city trip. Last time we went was the last time I've done some good crawling. Im getting the itch man!!!
claygreen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

For the Madison folks, there is Rainbow mountain, which is just off of Hughes road. You'll find lots of nice sandstone and some rugged trails. And, of course, for Huntsville people, there is always Monte Sano and Green Mountain. There is a ton of limestone in Lacey Springs. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding some good terrain if you just explore the back roads.
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoturd View Post
There is a ton of limestone in Lacey Springs.
I agree!
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial95 View Post
90k lbs of rock? That's impressive. Post pics when you get a chance. My brothers and I crawl. We are from Cullman
I live in Addison I am looking to do so crawling.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #25

Any good Hobby Shops in Huntsville?
I'll be coming From Kings Mountain NC to visit relatives over the holidays. I'd like to check out any hobby shops if they have any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mick
JKMICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMICK View Post
Any good Hobby Shops in Huntsville? I'll be coming From Kings Mountain NC to visit relatives over the holidays. I'd like to check out any hobby shops if they have any. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Mick
The Hobby Barn in Hunstville is ok and Cullman R/C. That's all I know of tell you get to Brmingham.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #27

where are Monte Sano and Green Mountain at near Huntsville. if somebody could help with some directions it would be great. i would also be up for a gtg just pm me
found monte sano state park still need some help with green mnt

Last edited by crawlin now; 12-18-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: update
crawlin now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I was at green MT early this summer. I didn't see any rock to play on sounds crazy doesn't it. I talked to the guy that's over the park for awhile got the same thing from him no rocks..
Alcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #29

Just an FYI for y'all in and around Hsv there is a place on 72 east called Emergent Rc, they have an on road race track and a rock crawling course. I've raced there a lot and I am looking at getting back into crawling. But my old night crawler won't cut it anymore looking to go more scale. Anyway it's a nice crawler course. Hit me up and I'll meet y'all there. They are good people to work with too, kinda have that small town store feel
BBsCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBsCrawler View Post
Just an FYI for y'all in and around Hsv there is a place on 72 east called Emergent Rc, they have an on road race track and a rock crawling course. I've raced there a lot and I am looking at getting back into crawling. But my old night crawler won't cut it anymore looking to go more scale. Anyway it's a nice crawler course. Hit me up and I'll meet y'all there. They are good people to work with too, kinda have that small town store feel
Hey BBsCrawler there's couple of us that are in to comps in Huntsville if you want to get back in it come on out with us. We try to hit the rocks 1 or 2 times a week. I'll seen you a pm next time we head out this week.
Got to get some practice in for this weekends comp at LRC. Check it out in the Comp section ALRC comp #2 LRC
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #31

Im from Ft Payne Alabama and was wondering where the nearest good crawling and competitions are? Thanks and God Bless!!!!!!!
shawnwigley550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I took my rig out and did some crawling on Rainbow Mountain in Madison (off of Hughes road across from Discovery Middle School) earlier this week and there is some really good sandstone and limestone up there. Really the only downside is all of the foot-traffic and the dogs. If you go far enough down the trail, the traffic thins out, but all you have to work with is limestone, which is slick and not half as fun to crawl on as sandstone. Regardless, it's a great spot for being smack in the middle of Madison. You really can't beat the convenience of it.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

My brother and I hit the rocks at the scenic overlook (34.712019,-86.543524) off of Governor's Drive on Monte Sano today in Huntsville and it was awesome!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcrawler View Post
I was at green MT early this summer. I didn't see any rock to play on sounds crazy doesn't it. I talked to the guy that's over the park for awhile got the same thing from him no rocks..
The parking lot is here: 34.597785,-86.517077. If you hike the trails around the lake, there are smatterings of boulders and rock. To get there, you turn off of Bailey Cove Road onto Green Mountain Road. You'll see sandstone bluffs on your left as you climb. There is a load of rock even on the ride to the Madison Nature trail area (coordinates given above).
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

For those in the Madison and Limestone County areas who are interested, there is a guy who sells sandstone rock and even small boulders by the pound ($0.10 per pound.) Turn north off of 72 onto East Limestone Road. Continue North to the four-way stop at Nick Davis and turn left (west) on Nick Davis. Continue on Nick Davis for 1 mile and the Nursery and Aquatic Supplies shop and stone yard will be on your right. Not sure what his hours are, but I stopped by at 10AM on Saturday.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

There is an aerial photography layer for Madison County in Google Earth that was generated on 3/5/2007. The deciduous trees are bare so you can see the terrain under the canopies. Boulders are easy to spot. You don't have to look hard to find potential crawling spots. I found several that look both promising and accessible. You can see them in the image. If any of you are interested, PM me and I can send you a copy of my kmz file with all of the locations marked. You can import it into Google Earth.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Hit Rainbow Mountain this afternoon and came away with some pics and videos.

GMade R1 on Steep Limestone Face - YouTube

GMade R1 on Boulder - YouTube

GMade R1 on Sandstone - YouTube
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #38

rainbow mt is the best spot i have found short of driving to lrc. if you follow the loop trail down to the creek there are some nice rocks too.
crawlin now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

I'll have to try this spot out on my way home some time. Looks pretty cool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Here's some footage from some of my brother's and my recent crawling sessions. The footage at the beginning is from the scenic overlook on Governor's drive. The footage at the end is from Rainbow Mountain.

RC Rock Crawling - YouTube

North Alabama crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North Alabama MS fundraiser - 100-miler JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 2 06-26-2010 05:44 PM
SERCRC: North Alabama Comp Fishmaxx Mississippi 0 02-13-2008 10:56 AM
SERCRC: Rock City Rumble 2, North Alabama Fishmaxx Competitions 88 08-22-2007 11:08 PM
Crawling in Alabama??? John Deere Chit Chat 9 08-06-2006 11:11 AM