Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Jake Hallenbeck from CKRC...you holding my Scorpion for Ransom???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Looks FAR from harmless to me. Especially with that...look
I remember that look in Moab and the look she had when she handed out the butt wipping she put on those 16 grown men
Attached Images

drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

I gotta say after reading all of his hints I woiuldnt be too terribly concerned about your truck... ever see the show overhauled? hey you never know
Larson627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

If you think she looks harmless, your looking at her out of context. those red rocks behind her, yeah, moab.....
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
Way to call him out Dustin :-)

Jay
LOL...dunno how much it helped. I typed in stg2 on his website and it didn't get me anywhere.

Claws...I assume it's those sticky tires SHE was running.

r2disconnect - it appears to be front burn, but in a tranny? This replaces the Axial transmission? http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=347 Front burn...yeahhhhhhh....
I guess I don't understand how it works but will research it closer

servo...that's for steering...upgrading the servo is like going from a mechanical steering box to full hydro on a 1:1 is what I'm assuming. More power to steer. I guess I'll wait and see on this one because I was impressed with the steering the way it came from Axial. But maybe I'm mistaken on the purpose of the servo.

wheels...well, wheels? Jake was always a bling guy, even in 1:1...this oughtta be interesting.

Man...I feel like such a newbie. I know the ins and outs of a 1:1 more than most but really am at a loss when it comes to the scale stuff.

And Larson, when you say, "I woiuldnt be too terribly concerned about your truck"...I fully recognise you have not been embarrassed by HER because if you had, you'd be saying, "that list of parts sounds great, but you'd better learn how to use em and continue on tuning and upgrading." Once you have been beaten and seen her all-knowing grin, you'll do what you can to make it not happen again. ;)

Last edited by RedBullRockIt; 01-14-2008 at 09:06 PM.
RedBullRockIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #25

Geez...I just re-set my profile to automatically view pics...THERE SHE IS!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

LOL...What's up Bailey...I'm comin to get you ;)

That pic taken at the golf course condos???

Last edited by RedBullRockIt; 01-14-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullRockIt View Post
LOL...dunno how much it helped. I typed in stg2 on his website and it didn't get me anywhere.

Claws...I assume it's those sticky tires SHE was running.

r2disconnect - it appears to be front burn, but in a tranny? This replaces the Axial transmission? http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=347 Front burn...yeahhhhhhh....
I guess I don't understand how it works but will research it closer

servo...that's for steering...upgrading the servo is like going from a mechanical steering box to full hydro on a 1:1 is what I'm assuming. More power to steer. I guess I'll wait and see on this one because I was impressed with the steering the way it came from Axial. But maybe I'm mistaken on the purpose of the servo.

wheels...well, wheels? Jake was always a bling guy, even in 1:1...this oughtta be interesting.

Man...I feel like such a newbie. I know the ins and outs of a 1:1 more than most but really am at a loss when it comes to the scale stuff.

And Larson, when you say, "I woiuldnt be too terribly concerned about your truck"...I fully recognise you have not been embarrassed by HER because if you had, you'd be saying, "that list of parts sounds great, but you'd better learn how to use em and continue on tuning and upgrading." Once you have been beaten and seen her all-knowing grin, you'll do what you can to make it not happen again. ;)

1. Stage 2 kit changes the geometry of the suspension to work even better than stock (http://rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html)

2. Losi rock CLAWS, said to be the best tires on the market.

3. Yes, the R2 disconnect is a tranny witha built in front burn mechanism. A servo is attached to a small shaft which moves and selects either 4WD, front burn with rears locked, or front burn with rears free spinning.

4. Yes your servo is for steering and the difference can be just like a stock to full hydro in a 1.1 The more power= the easier to steer.

5. As for the wheels, I would say that they would be the new bling ones coming from CKRC (http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=749)

Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #27

Shane,
Thanks for the reply...
stg2 = Stage 2...DUH. :?

The tranny can actually lock the rears...same as a rear axle brake during a front burn...AWESOME. I see the pin in the picture that locks the rear driveshaft. Would be cool to have that ability on front and rear I wonder when someone will figure out a pin that sticks into either the left or right wheel on command like a cutting brake

Looking at that tranny, I just thought of a technique I dreamed up a few years back that I've never had the guts to try in a 1;1. I'll have to practice it with the Scorpion...maybe debut it at an R/C event because I dunno that it's been tried, and see what the judges say...I'm stoked...I have been WAITING for this, without even knowing it!

The wheels you posted are definitly bling, but the scrub radius must be huge with that much offset. Do you guys even worry about scrub radius? For those that don't know that term, it means the arc the tire travels as the steering turns side to side. The further out the tire is width-wise from the knuckle, the larger your scrub radius. In 1:1, it's a consideration we always look into. The less, the better in most cases as scrub radius can move you off your line easier when trying to turn with one tire barely on a rock, among a long list of reasons including additional wear on steering parts and knuckles. I guess in scale, there are probably some advantages though. The strength of parts in ratio is a totally different game I'd guess. Also, with the lack of room you have for suspension and other components, that big of an offset can be a blessing.

Last edited by RedBullRockIt; 01-15-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #28
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
The wheels you posted are definitly bling, but the scrub radius must be huge with that much offset. Do you guys even worry about scrub radius? For those that don't know that term, it means the arc the tire travels as the steering turns side to side. The further out the tire is width-wise from the knuckle, the larger your scrub radius. In 1:1, it's a consideration we always look into. The less, the better in most cases as scrub radius can move you off your line easier when trying to turn with one tire barely on a rock, among a long list of reasons including additional wear on steering parts and knuckles. I guess in scale, there are probably some advantages though. The strength of parts in ratio is a totally different game I'd guess. Also, with the lack of room you have for suspension and other componenets, that big of an offset can be a blessing.
You pretty much got it. Weight-to-scale is way down so dynamics are a little different and as you mentioned, the physical constraints of the axles and stuff on the axle housings dictates wider offsets in a lot of cases.

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #29
I joined the Band!

your new rig will have some new bling wheels, but the scrub will be the same as stock compliments of axial racing!
KING BLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #30

i took some of the worst but kickings from "mere little girls" when i was riding mx.....i still have nightmares almos 17yrs later. thats why i try not to go target shooting with my wife...she is alot better shot... but anyway...it sounds like you will have a great rig when done!!!
wade280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Dustin that little girl houldn't scare you. now it's been how long? the next time you meet her at a comp just look in to those little eye's and say "please don't hurt me". naw man just kiden. whipe the rocks with her the way she did it to you.
roninwarrior555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I hope I never see the day! And I completely understand what you mean there
Larson627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #33

Alright...I'm getting the works now...once you start, you just cannot stop can you! Maybe I shouldn't open any more mail from Jake

(1) CKRC stage 2 suspension kit.
(1) Pair of CKRC aluminum upper 3 link connectors(ax80015).
(1) Pair of CKRC aluminum upper axle link mounts.
(1) Pair of CKRC aluminum knuckles.
(1) Pair of CKRC aluminum axle C's.
(2) Pairs of CKRC aluminum threaded body shocks.
(1) aluminum rear steer lock out kit.
(1) stainless solid rear axle shaft kit.
(1) RC4WD R2 transmission with driveline disconnect for front dig.
(1) CKRC R2 transmission servo bracket.
(1) robinson 15 tooth 32p pinion.
(1) CKRC R2 disconnect linkage kit.
(1) Complete CKRC drive shaft and yoke upgrade kit .
(1) Airtronics mx3 FM radio system with rear steer/disconnect switch installed.
(1) Hitec 5955tg digital servo for steering(333oz torque).
(1) Hitec 645mg servo for the dig.
(1) Hitec aluminum servo horn.
(1) Novak 5 amp s bec unit to power 2 servos.
(1) CKRC 8 cell Split battery pack to mount on the front axle.
(1) Pair of CKRC split battery axle plates.
(1) Pirahna ac/dc peak charger.
(2) Pairs of Losi rock claws

(4) Axial 2.2 8-hole Beadlocks - polished for speed.

(1) custom body by the King of Bling himself. He won't ante up what it is, but he said it would be cool...not that I didn't love the Betty body...

I already had the Scorpion as a starter including the Rooster and 55T Integy motor.

Bailey, I'm already practicing in my mind how I'm going to be wheeling right alongside of you. Just because you have more time/skill at this point doesn't mean I can't make up for that by spending money on the right parts! :-P
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #34
I joined the Band!

Fresh paint!
Attached Images

KING BLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #35
TEAM MODERATOR

Nice!!!!
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #36

Now that looks like FUNNNN! Nice work Jake! Now I can't wait to wheel it!
I'll be at the ORBA SuperShow this weekend in Del Mar. Any R/C guys going to make it up there???
Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #37

Jake, what's up with the undercarriage? The bolts look totally different...or am I smoking something and hallucinating?

edit...I guess I was smoking something...I just went and looked at pics of other rigs and they have similar setups...I just remembered it differently.

Last edited by RedBullRockIt; 02-04-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #38
RCC Addict

paint job kicks a$$, nice job
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Jake, what's up with the undercarriage? The bolts look totally different...or am I smoking something and hallucinating?

edit...I guess I was smoking something...I just went and looked at pics of other rigs and they have similar setups...I just remembered it differently.
no you were right thats part of the stage 2 it moves the links in.
i saw it this morning at the shop its pretty sick in person
doctorducttape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Its a nice rig dustin......

I wheeled it gently today.....
ROCKAPE is offline   Reply With Quote