Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My son's GC1 AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Great job on the body!
It is so great to see kids and there fathers working on a common hobby. be it RC cars or real cars it is all great bonding!
I cant wait to have a son of my own to pass on all my knowlege of life onto.

great body, great frame, great build!
4x4Crawler4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Joe View Post
Great build thread! Do you have the part number for the Jato rod end?
I am working on an AX-10 GC-1 build now.
Thanks

TRA5525
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks dezfan
Slow_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Great to see the photos of the little dude working on his rig
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #25
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Thank you guys for all the compliments. Every time I read them to my son and show him the responses he gets a huge smile.

Dezfan is correct, Traxxas #5525. Here's a link to them on Tower Hobbies:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKMD6&P=FR

Update on my son's crawler:

I sold the Rooster Crawler ESC and traded away the Tower Pro steering servo. I bought a used Mamba Max from 01XJ here in RCC. I also took advantage of the March sale from Holmes Hobbies and picked up 2 BEC's. One for his truck and one for my super. I am upgrading him to a KO Propo steering servo (200oz - torque). I am also stepping him up to 8 cell 2/3As.

I should have everything installed Friday night so that he can hit the rocks this weekend to practice. We are still waiting on the VF dig, but we have a comp on the 30th. I am very excited to see how he does.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #26

That rig is awesome. Did he build it all by himself ?
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
That rig is awesome. Did he build it all by himself ?
My son built 70% of it. We were side by side so I just guided him through the process. I did go back after he was done to make sure everything was tight though.

My son is very good with his hands. He plays a lot with legos. He's only 6 years old and cannot read yet, but he can count and can follow picture instructions well. His older sister is 10 and reads well. He hits her up for help when the instructions must be read. They are both home schooled.

His driving skill is well. Some of the local members of TXRCRCA have noticed that. I am very interested to see how he does in a real comp. Thanks for the compliments on his build.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #28
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I wanted to update the thread some. TXRCRCA was forced to postpone our comp on the 30th of March due to bad weather. We are suppose to have it this Sunday. So here is how my son's GC1 sits ready for the comp this weekend:

- 10 weight losi oil in both front
- Right rear has 30w, left rear has 40w oil
- Losi white springs all four corners
- The rear shocks are in the rear most shock holes to stand them up some, while the fronts are in the inner most holes to lay them down. This worked well with my SW2, so I carried it over to the GC1's. I have not really noticed a big difference in travel smoothness by using any of the different shock locations other than ride height and belly clearance can be modified.
- Links and location of them are same
- New mamba max
- CC BEC (6.2V)
- 9 tooth pinion
- 8 cell 2/3A's (the height and weight of the sub c's were too top heavy)
- added more weight with stick on lead weight to the front axle housing and under the front GC1 link plate
- Hot Racing aluminum knuckles up front, (with the new KO Propo steering servo and the CC BEC it kept breaking plastic knuckles)
- still waiting on the VF Dig

He's been practicing in anticipation for the comp. It's taken some time for him to get use to the 8 cells. That was a big jump up from 6 to 8 cells. Another thing he is still learning is the drag brake on the MM. The MM does not hold as strong on incline / declines as he was use to with Novak Rooster Crawler. However that annoying Novak glitch is gone and the MM is so buttery smooth and he likes that. Plus he picked up a bunch of wheel speed with the MM and 8 cells. We could have never done that with the Novak R.C. because of it's 7 cell limitation. Another benefit is the CC BEC. That 10 amps and higher voltage on the CC BEC just puts the Novak R.C. BEC to shame. That is the main reason he kept breaking plastic steering knuckles, the servos finally had enough power to take full advantage of the torque they produce.

I will post up after this weekend and let everyone know how he did and where he placed in the comp. It should be a good size comp. We have crawlers coming in from Louisiana, the DFW metroplex, as well as a bunch of locals. Should be a fun time.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #29

Good luck at the comp. Great looking truck.
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #30
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The DFW chapter of TXRCRCA had it's comp Sunday ( 4/6/08 ) in Tyler. My son placed 7th with a total score of 58. He drove very well considering it was his first comp and no dig (what is taking so long VF?) The GC1 performed very well. I can't wait to see what he will do once he gets dig.

1st course of 3 for the day

2nd course

Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Love seeing the kids involved! He looks like he is really into it!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Your son is good, and the rig performs well

He managed his way through the courses without any help or guidance from anyone really. Very impressed for a 6 year old

Last edited by Lankenstein; 04-07-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Lankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Love seeing the kids involved! He looks like he is really into it!
He is definitely into it. I had to remind on the way to the comp that this is all about fun. The minute you take it too serious you will lose the fun. Don't do that. I had to take him up to the truck for a pep talk after the first course. He did really well, but since it wasn't a perfect run, it bothered him. After the talk he was good to go. Dig would have made such a difference. It sucked he didn't have it, but it might be good because once he gets it, his scores will be lower and he will be able to see himself improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawn View Post
Your son is good, and the rig performs well

He managed his way through the courses without any help or guidance from anyone really. Very impressed for a 6 year old
Thank you D.S.

Before the comp I had asked Pariah and Mexican to maybe coach him because I knew I didn't want to. Dad's can sometimes seem over bearing or pushy to a child and I want him to figure out for himself. Pariah felt my son didn't need any and Mexican pretty much agreed. We all crawl together so we know what he's capable of. Besides, more is caught than taught and he is obviously picking it up on his own with out any pressure or influence. I hope to have the VF dig installed for the next comp. It will be fun because it will be new terrain and now he has the experience from this, his first comp.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #34
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

More pics from other members of my son's rig from the TXRCRCA DFW Comp #5 in Tyler;

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Wow Nova I am so impressed by this whole thread. I too ahve a 6 year old and he loves all things R/C. I am currently treaching him how to race my T4 with the help of a friend who has been racing for years. He has seen my crawler and is dying to drive it, and I cant wait to get it finished so that he and i can go play with it in the rocks somewhere. Reading your thread has been an inspriation of sorts for me as it just goes to show if a child has interest in something it doesnt matter the age, they will succeed at it. Good luck to you and your son. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #36
RCC Addict

The truck looks awesome Nova and even better that your 6 year old competes with you and hangs in there.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

as above great thread dude tell your kid to keep it up and nice truck to by the way
mint355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #38
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTaylor View Post
Wow Nova I am so impressed by this whole thread. I too ahve a 6 year old and he loves all things R/C. I am currently treaching him how to race my T4 with the help of a friend who has been racing for years. He has seen my crawler and is dying to drive it, and I cant wait to get it finished so that he and i can go play with it in the rocks somewhere. Reading your thread has been an inspriation of sorts for me as it just goes to show if a child has interest in something it doesnt matter the age, they will succeed at it. Good luck to you and your son. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635 View Post
The truck looks awesome Nova and even better that your 6 year old competes with you and hangs in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint355 View Post
as above great thread dude tell your kid to keep it up and nice truck to by the way

Thank you guys for all your positive comments! Every time I read the comments to my son he just smiles ear to ear. It's good for him to know other people support him and it makes him feel .

Dan, my son's first rc was a used mini T when he was four. Unfortunately it had a bad glitch and would not find neutral. He played with it for a while, but like anything, life and moving from California to Texas got in the way. I sold the mini T and told him I would buy him a new, better one after we moved and got settled. We moved, and we bought him a new RC18MT. He drove it pretty good, but he wanted to climb things more than go fast. While the rest of us were driving fast or racing on the drive way, he was out in the grass climbing over sticks, twigs, small rocks, etc.

I was getting burned out on nitro racing at the time and had been lurking on RCC just reading, but never registered. Finally I had enough of nitro, sold a couple 1/8 scale buggies, bought a used and abused SW2 TLT and the rest is history. Once my son saw the crawler, saw what it could do, it became obvious what the next step was. I sold his RC18MT and we bought him a AX-10 kit. It was a perfect fit.

A few months later we upgraded to this build. I charge the batteries and leave his crawler where he can get to it in the garage. That way, when he feels like it, he drives his crawler while I am at work (we home school) and practices on our rock / brick / log / cinder block pile. Being able to climb over things is what it's all about for him.

Sometimes speed is not what it's about or best the thing to teach with. Don't push your son. They will pick so much of it up by just watching and hanging out with the guys. Somebody on RCC has in there signature, "you gotta crawl before you walk". That is so true. If my son ever decides to go fast, (and I am sure he will, what man doesn't like speed ), now he will understand that there is a driving line on a race track as well. A good friend of mine who is a sponsored rc builder gave me much of this advice because that is what he did with his two sons (which are now grown and in college).

It also helps having some really cool local guys to crawl with. They compliment him and they teach him things too. I try to be really hands off. So many parents today push there kids and live vicariously through them. I had a good life with no regrets, I don't have the urge or need to do that. Just open the doors, give them the opportunity and see what doors they choose. More often than not, they will truly surprise and inspire you.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Eddie, the whole way back from that comp. sunday my dad couldnt stop talking about these things.

well im gonna build him one, looks like really soon. so he'll be my team mate. lol

this is the scary part....i have done spent almost $1300.00 of his money just today.....and still have a few more things to get
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #40
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspyy View Post
Eddie, the whole way back from that comp. sunday my dad couldnt stop talking about these things.

well im gonna build him one, looks like really soon. so he'll be my team mate. lol

this is the scary part....i have done spent almost $1300.00 of his money just today.....and still have a few more things to get
It was so nice to meet you and your dad Cody. He was really into it, especially on the last course of the day. It's no surprise your building him one.

As for the $1300, if your building him one as nice as yours, it's no surprise. Sometimes you can get good deals on rolling high end crawlers, but if your building a clone to yours, then you really have no choice but to build from scratch.

I wish you were closer. We have another comp on the 19th but it will be in DFW this time. Grapevine to be exact. Let me know if you want to make the three hour plus drive. I definitely want to get to Shreveport and crawl with you. Some of the terrain in the photos on your photo bucket look great.