Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

I have a hitec 7955tg coming for this hot rod. Next FXR needs to be ordered along with dx3r. Cant wait to start putting this together.

Question is were to put the lipo 3s pack? The front plate that comes with the kit doesnt support a servo and battery, any ideas?

Thanks
KenDobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDobson View Post
Question is were to put the lipo 3s pack? The front plate that comes with the kit doesnt support a servo and battery, any ideas?

Thanks

Look in my thread if you want. We have been making little plates that mount them low. I think its on the 3 or 4th page......

Gatekeeper GC???????? (Prototype)
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

i made a servo mount that has the battery plate between the links and drops down so it runs just above the driveshaft works really well

blue's axial
bluelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelightning View Post
i made a servo mount that has the battery plate between the links and drops down so it runs just above the driveshaft works really well

blue's axial
Looks the same as mine. I got the idea from Bonus line.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Guys, thanks for the battery mount idea I will also burrow that. Picked up the links today. However I dont know were to start. I would think Gatekeeper would have sent a basic setup sheet with the chassie. As much as I like to test and tune a basic starting point would be nice. As far as shock postion and the innner hole to start on the uppers would be nice. Also I think that they want the fronts to be inside the axial tabs with the tie rod first then shock closest to diff, but in the rear shocks outside tab followed by rod end then spacer closest to diff.

I will be running losi shocks with a extended rod end on the shaft.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

So no input from anyone on this matter. Intresting, I understand that as men we normally throw the directions away then after we cant figure it out go dig them out of the garabage. But why would a vendor send a product out without a basic setup. I have been in the racing business for longer then I care to admit and have never received motor shocks or chassie without a little guidance. Im sorry but the least The Crawler Store could do is post something on their web site if they wont respond to a post or pm, which I get being busy. But come on guys, you could do better, just alittle.

On a another not I received my 7955tg from servo city and Mr. Holmes has sent me my bec and 540 35t pro and Mayhem says wheels should be here soon. Also picked up the 5918x and 5919 need to decide to bend the lowers or try them straight first.

Later
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #27
PapaGriz Yo

Writing assembly instructions can be extremely time consuming and everybody has "real" jobs. I would imagine time is a big factor.

Austin does have a GC-2 thread for asking questions. There is some good info in there and links to build threads.
Click here

There is an instruction sheet on the GC-1 that may have useful info for you.
Click here

I find that looking at build threads and comparing the different ideas that come from different people is much more useful than instructions.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #28
Keep it real

The reason is, most people build their trucks differently. That's what's great about crawling, make it your own, and borrow from others' builds if you like it.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Ok, well tried bolting this chassie together and its not right. I bought the chassie and the tamya parts from TCS. I bought the shocks Austin says to run, I bought the links Austin says to run. Alright it together and read every GC2 post in the search and no where is their a post with Austin saying this is where to start. I have seen where everyone that has one has had the uppers and lowers bolted up wrong. An other then me getting to comp where Austin is, their is not a chance to get the right info.

I understand this is a hobby, I understand their are many ways to skin a cat. However when I sell a race car to someone they expect set up notes, shock setting, tire pressure etc. So please stop with the you can do it any way you want, its just a excuse to not look bad if it goes wrong.

Austin, I like your products but please step up, even placed another order today.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #30
Keep it real

Quote:
Ok, well tried bolting this chassie together and its not right. I bought the chassie and the tamya parts from TCS. I bought the shocks Austin says to run, I bought the links Austin says to run. Alright it together and read every GC2 post in the search and no where is their a post with Austin saying this is where to start. I have seen where everyone that has one has had the uppers and lowers bolted up wrong. An other then me getting to comp where Austin is, their is not a chance to get the right info.

I understand this is a hobby, I understand their are many ways to skin a cat. However when I sell a race car to someone they expect set up notes, shock setting, tire pressure etc. So please stop with the you can do it any way you want, its just a excuse to not look bad if it goes wrong.

Austin, I like your products but please step up, even placed another order today.
I have bought almost every single comp chassis available for the last couple of years, and have never gotten a set of instructions with them. If you would like setup help, PM me, I am more than happy to help.

I'm confused when you say you have seen where everyone has the uppers and lowers bolted up wrong. What is wrong, and what is setup choice?
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

How about we see some pics and tell you from there

I have read through the majority if not all GC2 build threads on rccrawler and will say I have seen numerous setups showing how everything is put together.

I am at loss on what you wish to know on setup.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #32

I am In the same boat as Ken almost to a tee, I have a new GC2 also and I am new to crawling but I want to do it right the first time. The ad for a GC2 says "Drive what the national champ drives" than is useles if it is not set up right. I race dirt latemodels and If my new GRT did not come with a baseline I would spend a whole season figuring it out.

I guess my questions are where to mount the top links in the front is under the servo mount the best and only place b/c I would like to cut the plate like tanis but if I will use the outer holes I dont want to cut the servo plate. I know Tanis mounts his there but is that how Austin has them. what is the best place for the rear links, shock oil, shock length, shock positions, and when you change them what does it do. How does moving the top links on the chassis change the feal of the rig?

I know that that is alot but any help would be great

Thanks,
Kyle
inman20k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

ok, I put photos up on the following link, I hope it works, let me know what yu guys think.

Also I very upbet about this and by no means mad, just want to build it close the first time.

http://gallery.me.com/kdobson0#100008

Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by inman20k View Post
I am In the same boat as Ken almost to a tee, I have a new GC2 also and I am new to crawling but I want to do it right the first time. The ad for a GC2 says "Drive what the national champ drives" than is useles if it is not set up right. I race dirt latemodels and If my new GRT did not come with a baseline I would spend a whole season figuring it out.

I guess my questions are where to mount the top links in the front is under the servo mount the best and only place b/c I would like to cut the plate like tanis but if I will use the outer holes I dont want to cut the servo plate. I know Tanis mounts his there but is that how Austin has them. what is the best place for the rear links, shock oil, shock length, shock positions, and when you change them what does it do. How does moving the top links on the chassis change the feal of the rig?

I know that that is alot but any help would be great

Thanks,
Kyle

Since Austin has been a little busy lately, I will try to keep updated on this post. I don't know near the info that he does but I do know that my truck is setup just about identical to his.

Here is my GC-2 build.....

Gatekeeper GC???????? (Prototype)

Mount your front top links in the same holes that your servo is mounted. The upper rear links I have mounted to the TLT stays on the rear plate. The lower links need to be mounted out side of the shocks. I will try to get more pics and post them up of the exact locations on everything. I believe there are pics in my thread that show where everything is mounted on the chassis side.

Last edited by Rockcrawler; 07-30-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Settle down and read some GC2 threads. There are many great GC2 build threads that show in great detail where the links are located. Check my build thread I posted a link to earlier and see where the lower links are mounted to the axles. It is different for front and rear (allows fronts to turn without hitting the links or shocks as much and also alters the rears suspension performance). Look at the upper link locations on the chassis, don't use the lowest holes.

I used Traxxas shocks with 30 wt oil, white Losi springs f/r. Many people use Losi white fronts and yellow rears. Same oil should be a good starting point on the Losi shocks.

The GC2 seems to like light wheels and light overall weight. Austin stated earlier he was running fronts at 12.5 ounces each front wheel (rim, foam, tire and weights total weigh 12.5 ounces) and the rears a little lighter (mine where 9 ounces each).

No secrets here, just lots of time researching, reading and browsing the many useful threads. The search function is your best friend.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ok, I put photos up on the following link, I hope it works, let me know what yu guys think.

Also I very upbet about this and by no means mad, just want to build it close the first time.

http://gallery.me.com/kdobson0#100008

Thanks
I am sure he understands.

Ken, you need to move your front uppers under the servo plate. Mount them to the same hole that your servo is mounted to. The screws should go through your links, into the servo plate and into the servo mounting tabs.

On your lower links where they mount to the axles, they need to be on the outside of your shocks. Like I said before, I will look and get pics when I get home (7AM) but I believe that my lowers are mounted to the outside of the tabs on the axles.

Last edited by Rockcrawler; 07-30-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the help.

I did read all the GC2 threads I can find.

I am calm.

I will move front upper mounts.

Also will switch front lowers and shocks.

Best thread is gatekeeper GC????????????, never thought to do a search for that.

How hard is it to write a one page direction, or a diagram, Really?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Best thread is gatekeeper GC????????????, never thought to do a search for that.

Sorry I was excited to have the #2 (I think) GC-2.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

My truck is setup like this for links/shocks

In the front end....

-Lower links outside of shock on the axle. Both are inbetween the plastic tabs.
-Upper links are mounted to a Stock Axial servo plate underneath where the servo mounts attach
-Upper links are mounted to the lowest hole on the chassis

In the rear end...

-Lower links mounted inside of brackets on outer most position with a spacer to take up the extra room inbetween the tabs.
-Shocks are mounted outside of the outer most tab.
-Uppers are mounted to the Tamiya TLT link mounts on the axle... second hole up on the chassis.

This setup seems to work well for me and should be a good starting point. Some others have thiers setup the same way.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the setup....I changed it around in the front and it seems to work fine.

Thanks

Last edited by KenDobson; 07-30-2008 at 08:56 PM.