Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Gatekeeper 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDobson View Post
Thanks for the setup....I changed it around in the front and it seems to work fine.

One question, when moving the front upper link on the axle to the servo screw postion underneeth the plate it seems to change the pinon angle. Is their a way to fix this or is it ok this way?

Thanks

From what I have gathers is that you want the pinion anlge to be pretty straight. The further down it is the more twist motion it is gonna have to put on the chassis. Can someone measure the traxxas links for me? I am wanting a measurement from center hole to center hole of the rod ends. thanks.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Ken, also you need to make the spur gear face forward & mount the skid plate so the tranny is forward. But there is no oneway to build these rigs are any of the stuff that goes with them. The best parts always come in a zipp lock bag with no "guide" to go by most of this stuff is done out of these guys garage.

Last edited by Speedracer19; 07-30-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

Its funny I kept thinking I did something wrong, it didnt look right. I will change that around and I thought that it was mounted that way on the stock axial.

I want to get a vf dig and new drive shafts, Do mips work, I heard that make a new shorter shaft to work with the dig.

Now I wait for the FXR, Holmes 35t, CC Bec and the Mayhem Double Phatties, oh yeah and a DX3r.

Thanks guys very much.
KenDobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the setup....I changed it around in the front and it seems to work fine.

Thanks
No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
From what I have gathers is that you want the pinion anlge to be pretty straight. The further down it is the more twist motion it is gonna have to put on the chassis. Can someone measure the traxxas links for me? I am wanting a measurement from center hole to center hole of the rod ends. thanks.
The main reason on the pinion angle is to keep them from popping off I believe. The more angle you have in the drive line, the more pressure its putting on the joints and shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
Ken, also you need to make the spur gear face forward & mount the skid plate so the tranny is forward. But there is no oneway to build these rigs are any of the stuff that goes with them.
I didn't even notice that.

Quote:
Its funny I kept thinking I did something wrong, it didnt look right. I will change that around and I thought that it was mounted that way on the stock axial.

I want to get a vf dig and new drive shafts, Do mips work, I heard that make a new shorter shaft to work with the dig.

Now I wait for the FXR, Holmes 35t, CC Bec and the Mayhem Double Phatties, oh yeah and a DX3r.

Thanks guys very much.
I don't have either but I have heard that the new Axial CVD's are the best right now. Sounds like your going to have a good setup. I still need to get the DX3R.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

I am running the GC-2 35T HH motor, Rooster ESC, VF dig, MIP shafts with the new shortened shaft in the rear, Losi shocks, MIP CVDS in the front, RCP high clearance knuckles, Cs', and rear lockouts, I also just ordered a set of Mayhem Double phattys since I stripped out a stock wheel, and I also have another airtronic MX-3 coming so that I can use my dig.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

So how do you go about getting one of the shortened mip drive shafts, Robert?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So how do you go about getting one of the shortened mip drive shafts, Robert?
Call up Darren Grillo at thunder tech racing. He worked with MIP on getting them built. The one that I have is actually a prototype because when I needed one they was not released yet. I believe he said that MIP was releasing them on the 30th so they should be out now.

Last edited by Tanis; 07-31-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

I have the linkage set and it works great, free and smooth. Now what to do with the battery. I have seen a few shots of drop trays between the front upper rods. But all the 1250 and 1300mh 3 cell lipos seem to wide for the end near the servo where I attached the link to the servo screw.

I will be running a bec, holmes 35t, fxr a dna/vf dig servo, and the steering servo.

I noticed that my TC-1 body wont sit very low on this chassie so I guess I go the way of the grappler, its what the national champ uses.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Well today I got the DNA dig installed, along with a complete front end rebuild using Axial CVD, RCP Clockable knuckles and RCP Steering Hub and Stage 3 locker. Wow did it tighten up the front and added alittle bit of weight in the front axle. Also in the mail cam the Holmes 35t and CC bec and FXR spped control.

So alittle more fabing and trail and air on fitting it nice and compact I will be up and running.

Also picked up some revo ends to lengthn the top control rods and get the axles in the right angle.

Thanks to Jake at JPH for taking the time to help sort some of the little issues that I was having. If he would just start making his chassie I may have to do a berg version next.

Later.

Have pics up tomorrow
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Here is the link to the gallery with the above updates. I beleive I have the shocks and lower links in the Austin recommended spot, if anyone can verify that, would be great.

enjoy

http://gallery.me.com/kdobson0#10001...or=black&sel=9
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #51
Keep it real

Links and shocks look good, as you say, Austin recommended spot

Now you just need some Losi tires
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

I have panthers waiting on some #5 reach hybrids to come in so I can mount them on the new mayhems double phatties I should have next week. Also ordered a set of the new losi's through horizon just waiting for them to be released.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #53
Keep it real

Quote:
I have panthers waiting on some #5 reach hybrids to come in so I can mount them on the new mayhems double phatties I should have next week. Also ordered a set of the new losi's through horizon just waiting for them to be released.

Thanks for your help
Excellent, even Panthers are better than stock axial tires
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

I just bolted up a set of the double phattys on mine last night!! They are sweet!! I will be ordering a set of those rock carvers too.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #55
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Here is the link to the gallery with the above updates. I beleive I have the shocks and lower links in the Austin recommended spot, if anyone can verify that, would be great.

enjoy

http://gallery.me.com/kdobson0#10001...or=black&sel=9
Quote:

Thanks for your help
Looks like you got the suspension just right. I think I'll change mine to that setup if I don't switch axles before Nationals.

For the battery, what about making a tray like I did. I made mine from a sheet of 0.040" styrene and zip tied it to the upper front links. If you don't crank down on the zip ties it won't limit articulation at all.

Griz's Team RCC/Holmes Hobbies GC-2
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote