Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 46&2 mini-crawler AX-10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash_16 View Post
nice flex ramp!!!! like to try my crawler on those. lol. nice crawler. i need to post some of mine soon. i got hooked just like you did. 900.00 later!
Haha yeah I looked back through this the other day and remember my girlfriend thinking that the initial cost was high and she was glad the money part was out of the way and I could "just play" with it...

Just like my 1:1, this thing keeps my wallet light.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Default 46&2 mini TUBE Buggy build

The Pro Line bolt on tuber kit is pretty sweet. Installs in just a couple minutes. I had to move pretty much all my electronics to get it bolted on, but other than that its not bad. Biggest downfall so far is the holes I used to mount my rock lights were the holes I needed to mount this body. Not sure where I am going to put the rock lights yet, there are holes I can use on the stock frame but it will put them in harms way... up in the air on what to do with them at the moment. Also, the Axial SCX10 light kit I bought has 5mm bulbs, and the RPM light rack housings only have 3mm, holes, gotta drill em out to get them to work.

All the parts were great, but I do have a complaint about the RPM light bar hardware. The screws they include to mount the bar itself to a vehicle are rediculously small, so small in fact I wasn't able to use them, and had to scavange for larger screws in my hardware bin. Other than that, I give the Pro Line tuber kit a 10/10 so far, and the RPM light bar kit a 9/10.

Next is the axle rebuilds.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
I've thought about it. I am pretty happy with the stock chassis and home made skidplate. Works well for me, so haven't felt the need to change it. Next upgrades will be batteries and a new servo. Chassis and skidplate will probably be taken into consideration after that.
I will say that Delrin's a huge step up over Aluminum in the "not sticking to stuff" department but everyone to their own faves I haven't had any issues with flexing but then again that's just me and I don't go trying to push my car up against humvee's to move them

The Pro-Line tuber looks NICE though, now you got to throw some paddles on it and eer, go sand flinging
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling Calvin View Post
I will say that Delrin's a huge step up over Aluminum in the "not sticking to stuff" department but everyone to their own faves I haven't had any issues with flexing but then again that's just me and I don't go trying to push my car up against humvee's to move them

The Pro-Line tuber looks NICE though, now you got to throw some paddles on it and eer, go sand flinging
Thanks. Yeah I will probably get a Derlin skid eventually.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Okay, maybe I am retarded, but the Dynamite Aluminum Steering Knuckle kit I got came with 2 ballstuds. What the hell are they for? Little confused here....
Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Everything is installed except one of the axle shafts. When I was putting them together, my dog happened to be chewing on a bone right beneath me, and one of the pins that holds the ujoint together fell out, and landed right in her mouth. I couldn't find it. She $%#@ing swallowed it.

I emailed RPP to see if they could send me another one. Definitely looks like my turning radius will be improved a lot with these installed though. Going to pick up paint and start on the body panels tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Okay, maybe I am retarded, but the Dynamite Aluminum Steering Knuckle kit I got came with 2 ballstuds. What the hell are they for? Little confused here....
They would be used to lock out the steering like the stock rear of a ax10, well I think so anyway.

Rig looks good.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
They would be used to lock out the steering like the stock rear of a ax10, well I think so anyway.

Rig looks good.
Ah okay. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

This is to celebrate my last night before I go back to school and hammer down full time. Working on the body panels as we speak....

Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #90

Any issues with this Proline tuber kit? I'm planning to get this in the next few weeks/months. Mine is pretty much stock, except for Futaba S3305 and wheel weights.
coldcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #91
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
...one of the pins that holds the ujoint together fell out, and landed right in her mouth. I couldn't find it. She $%#@ing swallowed it.

I emailed RPP to see if they could send me another one...
Let me know if RPP doesn't come through, or will take a while. I'll "donate" some pins if you still need them
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcrawlr View Post
Any issues with this Proline tuber kit? I'm planning to get this in the next few weeks/months. Mine is pretty much stock, except for Futaba S3305 and wheel weights.
No issues yet, its actually pretty sweet IMO. The tubing is a lot stronger than I had guessed, and it is pretty well braced. It did raise my COG more than my old Lexan body by a hair but I think I can offset it by getting a new battery to ride on the front axle. My only complaint is that the body panels are supposed to snap on when you cut them, and the roof (didn't use to save weight) and side panels have no other means to hold them on other than snapping on. Rub up against one rock and they pop right off. So I had to cut holes in the side panels and a couple extra holes in the front and rear hood/bed covers to zip tie them down so they don't flap around and pop off all the time. I think its a great kit, and with the panels and some scale accessories looks pretty scale. Finishing up my attempt at making the grill look like a Tacoma and putting the finishing coats on the body panels.

Any suggestions on a small, next-to-servo- battery to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Let me know if RPP doesn't come through, or will take a while. I'll "donate" some pins if you still need them
Yeah, RPP is having me deal direct through Axial. I was waiting until today to give them a call. If all else fails I will let you know, just need 1! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Body panels are finished. I tried to do my best at the Sr5 stripes (only my second time custom painting clear lexan). Also due to the shape of the tuber body panels, the front clip didn't turn out as "Tacomish" as I would have liked, but I am happy. Not as sweet as most of the custom tube buggies out there but looks good to me. *:gap:

All that is left is to ream the holes in the light bar bigger to accept the Axial lights I have, relocate rock lights, and reinstall the last ujoint when the part arrives. Next on the list: new battery.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #94

nice looking rig! glad to know someone else likes the proline tuber body, i love mine..
874runnersr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5 View Post
nice looking rig! glad to know someone else likes the proline tuber body, i love mine..
Thanks! Yeah, it is a nice kit for sure. Glad I found it onsale at RPP as I had been debating getting it for a while, but was put off since it was plastic. Using the round headlights made it look too Jeepish with the Taco grill so I cut them square. Good enough for me. Can't wait to start scratching it up.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Parts arrived.

Took the other one out again for a before and after.

Turning radius is definitely a little better. Gonna get the rig on some rocks this weekend while I am wrenching on my 1:1 4Runner.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

your car it's with a good visual! I like it.
your arrived parts are a good upgrade, i will buy to my ax10

congratulations
skypyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypyt View Post
your car it's with a good visual! I like it.
your arrived parts are a good upgrade, i will buy to my ax10

congratulations
Thanks skypyt! Haven't been able to put the new ujoints to the true test yet but hopefully this weekend.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Been beating on this thing pretty hard. Took it to Fordyce (forgot the camera :( ) and it did great. New ujoints up front are holding up great. Took some long hard rolls right onto front tires, and pulled through some wicked binds to test it out. Cage is also holding up fine. Very sturdy for how heavy my rig is and how hard I've flopped it. Definitely recommend the Proline tuber kit.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial LED light kit question

Hey so I finally got around to reaming out the RPM light bar buckets for my Axial LED lights and went to plug it all in, only to realize that the plug on the Axial LED lights doesn't plug into any of my Axial electronics. Is there an adapter I need or something? I kind of assumed since it was Axial it would plug into my stock reciever. Any ideas on how to get these lights to work? Thanks for any advice.

These are the lights I got.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax24256.htm