Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Just Another Slingshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just Another Slingshot

Since I won`t be racing nitro this coming year I decided that I would put togeather a comp rig for 09 . Got the bug again about a month and half ago and started with a ax10 I bought and built back in Feb, but never ran. Now it`s a pretty standard Slingshot build . Revo GTR shocks, DNA dig, RCP spools, Axial HD gears, lockouts & shafts ,cvd`s , clockable C`s and kuckles . Electronics include FXR , CC Bec , 5645 & 225 servos , and a servo city servo stretcher , run by an M8 . HPI Rock Grabber tires , and comming very soon a set of Vanquish DH`s . This thing is a far cry from my old TLT based rig . I know the wireing looks like a mess but it really isn`t as bad as it looks , I just ran it where it flowed . It will get cleaned up in the sping refresher along with several other things on the to do list . Till then I plan to drive the crap out of it and take care of any bugs that pop up and get it dialed in . Ran the tires outside today for first time and was impressed , 35 degrees and sleeting and they did very well . Stock foams and vented wheels . As it sits in the pics 3 3/16 under the lowest point of the chassis and 1 5/8ths under the diffs , 12 1/8 wheel base .

And the mandatory flex shot .

And the only action pic I have so far . Truck wouldn`t straight climb this (59 degree slop) , but I managed to work the front over and drop the right front tire off the edge then use the inside sidewall to pull the truck up where it sits in the pic.

Last edited by 4XADICT; 12-24-2008 at 04:47 PM.
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

looks bad ass
cruz*hotboxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

man that thing turned out great cant wait to see it in action
hodges996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys . Jeb, if the weathers ok give me a holler tomarrow and we`ll crawl .
Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

on the gtr shocks what weight oil and springs are you running
makahacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by makahacrawler View Post
on the gtr shocks what weight oil and springs are you running

Right now , Jato springs ,blue rear and yellow fronts with Losi 35wt oil . I do plan to try some of the softer rear springs and step back to 30wt oil all around . Basicly I`m going to work my way toward the softest set up I can get away with.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Really nice build. I like the chassis and the body is a nice choice.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

nice rig i really like mine now that i am getting use to the droop setup i am running losi shocks with tubing inside to limit the flex but it crawls nice, good job hope to see some action shots soon..........P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Since the weather has been so crappy for the past week I decided to attack one of the projects I had planed for this rig , a lay down dig servo. Every time I looked at the dig servo mounted in the above pics I knew there had to be a better way . Here is what I came up with in the mock up stage , the hardware to finish it up should be here latter today ( I hope) and I`ll post up complete details as soon as it`s done , but for now here is a peek.

By fourbyaddict, shot with Digimax A402 at 2008-12-04

Last edited by 4XADICT; 03-14-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I like the new placement. I really need to work on getting my sons dig servo lower like that.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hardware did show up today so I`ll get this finished after work tonight . It really is a simple set up thats lighter and more rigid than the stock chassis braces .
Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i really want to get together this weekend. mines on its way
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges996 View Post
i really want to get together this weekend. mines on its way
Sundays good , I`ll be yote hunting saturday .
Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XADICT View Post
Sundays good , I`ll be yote hunting saturday .

sunday sounds good
Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The servo mount is done. I went a little overboard on the weight issue , but in my opinion a comp crawler is pretty much a "race car " so this one will get treated as such . My goal was to lower the one ounce servo as low as I could and drop some weight from the top of the chassis too. I used axial posts and all aluminum hardware , even on the linkage . And another note on the linkage , it`s now as close to the centerline of the shift rod as I can get it out, another issue I had with the previous set up. I made the servo hanger in the rear from 1/8 alum that I had laying around , took about 20 minuites to make , the odd hole there is just one I drilled last to shave a gram or so. Anyone with a drill and dremel should be able to do the same type of mount easily, just remember measure 10 times then cut once . The first pic should show the the parts better than I can wrigt it , the numbers below the spacers coraspond to their length ,and they are show in order of assembly. The weights are shown in grams , there are three setups in the pic , the new one , what was removed from the truck , and I threw the DNA mount in there just for comparison .

I also swaped out some hardware in the frount and spur gear and eliminate one of the front chassis braces . And for those that think a gram here and there isn`t worth messing with , I shaved a half ounce total off the top of the truck tonight with just a few pieces of hardware . Will it make a noticeable difference ? I don`t know yet , but I know it sure wont hurt . Next target is the tranny . They say the devil is in the details , well I guess hes going to hang out here for awhile .

Last edited by 4XADICT; 12-24-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XADICT View Post
Anyone with a drill and dremel should be able to do the same type of mount easily, just remember measure 10 times the cut once .

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3...ling022xl6.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7...ling021fc6.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9...ling020ai1.jpg

dammit man i cut it twice and its still to short looking good cant wait to seee it
Old 12-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Any update on your shock/spring/oil weight setup?

Thanks
MDcrawler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Not yet , same as above . I will try a softer rear spring next week , and I can`t decide if I want to go with litter oil or swap pistons yet . Wheels and shock tuneing are the next things on the priority list though .

The dig worked well today , no issues at all , except learning where and when to use it and when not to . The Grabbers also worked pretty good in the snow , hodges996 was running claws , but had memory foams in the front w/ 30deg temps so I really don`t think it was a fair comparison between the two . You had to work for whatever line you made with either tire .

I think the DNA stuff works good after some work , but I gotta say they really could pick up thier game in the fit and finish department , both the dig & chassis . I`ll post my opinions on all the stuff I`m running as soon as I`ve had enough time with it to form one .

The FXR is great , just wish it was water proof just for the piece of mind . No real complaints though .

I`m also going to bump the bec to 6.0v this week , then I think the 5645 will be enough servo . It would be great if it came set @ 6v but then they wouldn`t sell as many links would they ?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Wheels should be here by friday . Really looking forward to opening that box !!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #20
RCC Addict

4xadict nice cfx
I also have about the same set-up as you
you say: I`m also going to bump the bec to 6.0v this week , then I think the 5645 will be enough servo . It would be great if it came set @ 6v but then they wouldn`t sell as many links would they ?
your bumping your BEC to a 6.0v, is this because your going up to a stronger servo?
just wondering...it looks like i might need a bec, since i just bumped up my battery to a 3 cell...just trying to learn about bec a little.
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote