Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Nate's SWX comp. build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Nate's SWX comp. build

Well I decided after entering my first comp. a couple months ago that I might as well go ahead and drop some dough and try to put something competitive together..... although I placed 3rd with my basically stock kit truck.... Oh well it's been fun putting this thing together the last few days. I know that I appreciate people taking the time to do build lists and post pics..... so here ya go!

SWX Chassis kit
Mayhem Double Phatty's (4 balls in front, 2 in rear)
Stock Axial axles
STRC aluminum 3 link mounts
STRC aluminum steering blocks
STRC aluminum C blocks
Traxxas driveshafts
Traxxas rod ends
Losi "crawler" shocks (soft springs in front, medium I think in the rear)
Losi Rock Claws (star cut foam in front, full Losi foam in the rear)
Novak 55turn motor
Tekin FXR (Rooster Crawler previously)
Castle Creations BEC set at 7v and only powering the steering servo.
TCS battery plates with strap slot
TCS 7 cell 2/3 battery pack
Hitec HSR-5990tg steering servo (kicks ass)
Hitec HS-645mg dig servo
Hot Racing dig (so far it's pretty good, made my own servo mount)
Futaba "Fast" 2.4ghz 3pm radio system (set up for 3 position dig, works great, PM if you have any questions, GREAT radio for the money.)
Losi Grappler body

Here's some pics. I did some testing on the rocks today and it went pretty good. Still needs to be dialed in a bit though.

Last edited by Gst95dsm; 02-16-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You built yourself a really nice crawler. How are you liking the setup so far? Only thing I would have to change is the battery plugs. They need some deans ends.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice build! I'm still collecting parts for my SWX build too.
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Nice build. Hope it serves you well !
Archer414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!
dano104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! So far it seems like it's going to work good. I've got a comp on the 18th so we will see how it does while i'm under some pressure. It's always different when your actually trying. I need to get my foam dialed in and I think I want the rear to be a little stiffer. As for the good ol Tamiya's.... I'm waiting till I switch over to the FXR for the deans. And really for the simple fact that they are smaller and I hate wires and plugs hanging everywhere on my rigs. This is one of the few RC's ive had that doesn't get stuff hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
You built yourself a really nice crawler. How are you liking the setup so far? Only thing I would have to change is the battery plugs. They need some deans ends.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
WVB
Quarry Creeper

Lookin' good so far... I think you should 4link your rear. You should notice a nice improvement with that...
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I totally hear what your saying about wires. I hate looking scragally when im naked, therefor I dont want my crawler to either. Nice build. I go with the full size servo also.
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

What improvement do you think i'll see? Less willingness to twist? I am contemplating doing this but want to know the advantages. One reason I am going to do it is to get my upper links a little further away from my dig servo although as it sits right now it does not hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVB View Post
Lookin' good so far... I think you should 4link your rear. You should notice a nice improvement with that...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Looking Good!!!! Is that a 7 or 8 cell battery up front? Had any problems getting hung up on the longer skid?
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

It's an 8 cell pack but I disabled one of the cells to keep the Rooster happy. I tried it on 8 cells with a CC BEC and it still didn't like it. As far as the skid goes..... no issues yet. I would guess though there will be a time or two when the shorter skid would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadk9420 View Post
Looking Good!!!! Is that a 7 or 8 cell battery up front? Had any problems getting hung up on the longer skid?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Man that rig looks sweet, love the black on black DP's
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
tjb
Rock Crawler

You'll love the X. After talking with bender on some things on it I switched from the SW3 to the X and don't regret it one bit. It works very well on a droop set also

Good looking rig
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Have you ran that hot racing dig yet, if yes how did you like it?
rckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

looks nice man. i love mine too
JaDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #16
WVB
Quarry Creeper

Depending on the 4link you use will determine your outcome of getting the upper links further away. But yes your torque twist will just about be gone. Especially if you adjust the left rear shock down more so then the other three and add a little heavier shock weight oil you will love the improvements..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gst95dsm View Post
What improvement do you think i'll see? Less willingness to twist? I am contemplating doing this but want to know the advantages. One reason I am going to do it is to get my upper links a little further away from my dig servo although as it sits right now it does not hit.
WVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Dig works pretty good. I've got it set up for 3 position and so far it seems pretty reliable. I would have to say though it does not disengage on an incline as well as I've seen the DNA and R2 dig do it. On incline you have to relieve the pressure on the drive line before it will disengage. My friends R2 will disengage whenever he wants. Now that the rig is together and getting dialed in I will probably take the dig apart and do some filing and polishing to make it better. Over all though it's a nice piece and a good value @ $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckcrawler View Post
Have you ran that hot racing dig yet, if yes how did you like it?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the tips man. As she sits right now she doesn't want to twist up much at all so I'm not in to much of a hurry to try this but I know I will end up doing it haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVB View Post
Depending on the 4link you use will determine your outcome of getting the upper links further away. But yes your torque twist will just about be gone. Especially if you adjust the left rear shock down more so then the other three and add a little heavier shock weight oil you will love the improvements..!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Any reason why your tires are on the backwards? Not that it matters, most Claw users have them the other way.

Nice chassis, has the new chassis really given that much of an improvement?
zoojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Haha.... I've tried them both ways and although I could never prove it..... I think they work better like this!

As far as the chassis goes I do think you can make a stock axial chassis climb just as well, based on past experience but there is no way you can make a stock width axial chassis get into the tight spaces that a SWX can. It just seems to be able to snake and pivot around obstacles way better, obviously because it's so narrow. I also like to have more options on mounting links and shocks. And right out of the box it's extremely planted.... it took quite a bit of tweaking on the stock chassis/links to get that same feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoojunkie View Post
Any reason why your tires are on the backwards? Not that it matters, most Claw users have them the other way.

Nice chassis, has the new chassis really given that much of an improvement?