Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: homemade driveshaft dig build with pics and vids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Just me, but if I only had two positions... it would we 4x4 and dig.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

Yeah just locked 4 wheel and front wheel for now...not sure if I want the locked rear right now as I haven't done any comps or know of any near me...so I figured that just having the front wheel drive to help me climb over ledges and not tip over backwards would be cool, but that may change. so far I like it and the more I use it the better it works. if anyone knows how to mod a Airtronics Mx3 for a three position switch let me know and i'll definatly give it a go.
jlmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Just me, but if I only had two positions... it would we 4x4 and dig.
If you want a three position switch check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqntnWcb4FA
Hope this helps
Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #44

thats cool
corvette crawle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #45

Great thread, I finished mine a couple of day ago. I looked around the shed for stuff to make it from and found that the female shaft fit nicely into a length of black PVC hose, the kind that is used for garden watering systems. The male shafts also fit well through the T and L pieces that are used to connect these hoses together.
I cut a T piece down and used about 1 cm in either end of the hose to hold the female shaft in place. I copied the idea of the Y link on the dig using cut down servo screws to hold it in place, these screws pass through the outer hose and into the inner piece but not through it so they dont rub on the shafts.After a test run I had to put two screws into the other end as well because the inner piece kept coming out.
I have ran this for a couple of battery packs now and it has held together well, I'm not sure how long it will last but it didnt cost me anything except time so until it dies I will enjoy it and depending on how long it lasts may even make the next one the same.
The only problem I have found is when the shock on the RHS [ Veiwed from back of truck ] fully compresses the shaft moves forward through the dig and engages the lock pin,its like its in dig mode but it shouldnt be.
Ive tried adjusting the position of the dig but have found that my servo doesnt have enough throw to get the dig far enough from the locking pin to avoid this.I might try a different servo to see if this helps
Has any one else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
523revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

So fter 3 comps and a number of days just palying around the dig finally broke.

One of the screws that hold to the y link stripped thru the pvc hose.

this where I was playing...tried to front dig it with the rear locked up this rock and bang...stopped on a dime.

I've already built a new on, made it a little shorter this time. And made sure the screws will not strip thru again.

love it though. still the best 10$ I have ever spent.......:-P
Attached Images

lil' lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

here's me and my bros rig(herby the love bug) playing around yesterday with the new driveshaft dig. ;)
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Where in the store did you find the plastic pipe; kitchen,sink,dishwasher section? I can't find the 1/2 inch pipe at home depot. Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Where in the store did you find the plastic pipe; kitchen,sink,dishwasher section? I can't find the 1/2 inch pipe at home depot. Matt

It is plumbing line. They use this in all the new homes instead of copper pipe. Holds cold water and even hot water from the hot water tank. I also have some in my bathroom for the the toilet and sink.

I found it in the plumbing section.

sold by the foot or sold in 5-10ft coils ect.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

well I took my bros CKRC dig off and I built him a driveshaft dig aswell. The aftermarket rear output stripped in his last comp.

I built his and it turned out better looking and works way better. But he doesn't have freewheel, just 4wd and rear locked.

And now I've got another friend making himself one as he used my RC while paying around on some rocks and he loved the turning radius....and it's CHEAP!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #51

Great thread, thanks for this!!
Beer&Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #52

Hey tyler, with your servo being mounted to the rear diff do you find it slipps out of lock on full flex?

Mine was slipping out until I made the claw cuts deeper. Only when flexing out and my servo is up on the chassis.
BC_4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #53
Rock Stacker

Awesome man wish I had seen this before I purchased a VF dig for my axial.
SCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_4RUNNER View Post
Hey tyler, with your servo being mounted to the rear diff do you find it slipps out of lock on full flex?

Mine was slipping out until I made the claw cuts deeper. Only when flexing out and my servo is up on the chassis.
Not at alll Greg. never pops out and have tried it many of playing around days, including 3 comps now...still no probs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC View Post
Awesome man wish I had seen this before I purchased a VF dig for my axial.
$hitty dude.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #55

dude this is nut's i love this idea i'm running a scaler this is goin to be fun i love it but i have a ? you have any other ideas your working on or thought about like to see what your brain is thinking
hellraizor is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/155263-homemade-driveshaft-dig-build-pics-vids.html
Posted By For Type Date
Losi 1/18 Scale Dig Unit??? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 10-05-2011 05:23 PM