Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Krawler Hobbies Hakuja 09 Comp Rig build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Definitely interested. Post em up!
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Well, finally got some shocks in. They are the Traxxas Jato shocks. The springs have to be changed out. I will also need to tune these. The pictures show them the way they came in.

Well, with the new shocks mocked up, I need to remake the lowers. Went from a 3/8" down to a 5/16" lowers. This was needed to get the wheel base back to 12.5".

KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Now for some mock up pictures...

First, I made some uppers out of the same 5/16" white delrin with Revo ends that the lowers were made out of. You will also notice our 4link plate allows for different mounting options for the uppers. The different mounting locations also allow for different "clocking" angles of the axles depending on the application.

Almost a roller...

You will notice that the front springs is not normal Jato springs. They are from one of our Mini-T's. These springs work fine for testing and are much softer than the spring that came with these shocks. These will work until the new springs arrive.

The rears still have the springs that came with the shocks. These are still pretty stiff but not as bad as the fronts. These will be changed as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Now for some specs on the build. This build is going to try and be as light weight as possible. The chassis weights in at 1.2oz. That is just the side plates. The skid weights in at 1oz. The 4link plate weights .4oz and the steering setup weights in at .8oz.

The wheels I am going to run are the stock AX10 wheels. They came off of a old rig. As they set now, they weight in as fallows: front 12.8oz each and the rear is 9.8 each. They are running some older Comp Claws. These will go on diets before they are installed on this rig to shave weight.

-Jason
Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

looking really good... cant wait to see some action shots... keep up the good work...
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Looking good! Hurry up and put some tires on it! I wanna know the gc. Are you planning on running some kind of chassis stiffeners between the shocks? I can see that long chassis tweaking around a bit...

Again looking sweet!
bayouhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouhazard View Post
Are you planning on running some kind of chassis stiffeners between the shocks? I can see that long chassis tweaking around a bit...

Again looking sweet!
Yes, once I decided how to mount the body. There will be delrin cross braces on this chassis.

Thanks for the complements guys....

-Jason
Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. I'd suggest running the drag link from the servo to the other side of the axle to have a longer drag link.

Looks like some nice products.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Why aren't you using the front and rear dig?
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Why aren't you using the front and rear dig?
I thought about it but I feel that for the weight to what you gain ratio, I feel that front dig is not worth it on this build. However, the dual dig is a great unit. I am running the mounting plates for the dual dig unit. I love them. I guess I could put up some weight for these parts if people are interested.

Also, on the drag link. This rig is still in testing. That has been brought up. I am offering my steering links with a longer drag link to those who would like them. However, weight to benefit factor is brought into play here as well.

Thanks for the comments guys.

-Jason
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Looks killer with all the white Delrin Jason! Only thing is those shocks still look really tall, you may want to try running them in droop, right now it looks like you may end up with 3.5" or more of ground clearance.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Looks killer with all the white Delrin Jason! Only thing is those shocks still look really tall, you may want to try running them in droop, right now it looks like you may end up with 3.5" or more of ground clearance.
Dang your good. That is why you are on the Team!! Yup setting right at about 3.5. I will post up pictures soon with measurements. I thought about running them droop. Like I said, this is how they came and that is how they went on the truck. Testing is soon to come...

-Jason
Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I've been running RC18 shocks as internals in the GTR's. The Silvers are really soft and great for a light weight crawler, and the golds are a little stiffer, and perfect for one with a hair more weight.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:59 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Looking good Jason!
Galladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Hobbies View Post
I thought about it but I feel that for the weight to what you gain ratio, I feel that front dig is not worth it on this build. However, the dual dig is a great unit. I am running the mounting plates for the dual dig unit. I love them. I guess I could put up some weight for these parts if people are interested.
-Jason
I was just asking because I and many others haven't seen front and rear dig in a shafty. You might get some sales if you posted up a video of your dig in action at a comp
Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
I was just asking because I and many others haven't seen front and rear dig in a shafty. You might get some sales if you posted up a video of your dig in action at a comp
Yes, very true. I have other rigs I can do this on or, depending on what the final weight is, I might do it on this rig...

Thanks for the complemts guys.

-Jason
Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Hobbies View Post
Yes, very true. I have other rigs I can do this on or, depending on what the final weight is, I might do it on this rig...

Thanks for the complemts guys.

-Jason

good. I have been anxious to see it
Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Well, now we have a roller. The wheels will need to be reworked as mentioned to remove some weight, but I could not wait any longer to see some wheels and height measurements on this thing...

Here, you can see how much ground clearance it has. I think this well be a great start for tunning. Now, break-overs should not be a problem...

12.5 is right about where it sits on the length. Enough room to still tune...

Turning radius on the lowers is great. Clears just fine in both directions. The steering links work great!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

That's quite a bit of ground clearance! Looks like that making them drive shafts have a pretty good angle on them comming off the tranny.

Looks great though! Can't wait to see a slammed body with some action pics!
bayouhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #40
RCC Addict

The angle on the driveshafts are pretty stright. If it was not for our 4link plate and longer uppers, then they would have a really bad angle to them.

Thanks for looking...

-Jason