Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Krawler Hobbies Hakuja 09 Comp Rig build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #41
Moderator Rule Breaker

Try some 3racing mini lst shocks.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #42
RCC Addict

We will see how the Jato shocks work first. I have a few things in mind that I am going to try before I go a different route. I think these will work great though. Thank you...

I will have more pictures up tonight. Anyone want to see some flex shots with height measurments???

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Here is a picture to show how much flex the front has...

I think that is about right. It is where the testing will begin. With the 3.5" GC, here is what I get at full flex on the skid...

-Jason
Old 07-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Now, the rear. The rear has more flex. I tend to like more flex in the rear than I do the front. I feel like it helps keep the front tires planted. If the front tires are not on the rocks, then you cant steer where your going, right?

Oh, and of course, it will stand on it side with no problems...

So, what do you guys think? This will be a great start on the comp rig. The Southern Cup Showdown is coming up fast. I plan on putting the wheels on a diet and changing the tires out. The electronics will be on this weekend and some testing will begin soon!!! I will post up weight specs as soon as this happens. So, stay tuned!!!

-Jason
Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Hobbies View Post
So, what do you guys think?
Let me start by saying that I really like your chassis, and what you're trying to do.

Now, if you want my honest opinion, I think it has way too much ground clearance to be seriously competitive. While I think you're really onto something with that chassis, I don't believe that it's going to be competitive on the top level with those shocks....at least fully suspended. I would try them in a full or partial droop or go with a shorter shock.

I've been playing alot with ax10 & berg tubers, and I've seen what some of the upper level competitors are doing. I can tell you, I have less than 3" of ground clearance with my AX10 tuber, and I simply cannot handle the same lines as the "pro" level guys that I run with...in fact, I can't run my AX10 with the Berg Tuber that I just built.

I honestly believe that in order to compete with the upper level MOA's, you need to have as absolutely as low a COG as possible, and I just don't see that happening with an AX10 based rig with over about 2.5" of center clearance. Unfortunately, at that point, it's hard to break over some of the ledges that we run into in comps. Therefore, I think that a full droop or at least 3/4 droop, capable of dropping axle to make contact on the hard breakovers is the only answer to compete with an AX10 based crawler.

BTW, I've been drinking, so I just want you to know that I mean no disrespect. I think the chassis is great, and I'd really consider running one (if I didn't build my own tubers). I just think it needs a droop suspension to really take advantage of the size.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Humm, thanks??

The shocks are not to long. This chassis is designed to have a higher GC than most. This rig has not been tested. I will test both sprun and droop setups. Thank you for your input though and your insider information on the "pro" level guys...

-Jason
Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I hope you didn't take me the wrong way with my post. I also hope that my post doesn't affect your sales of the chassis. I'm only trying to help, and I really like what you've done.

I think you've got a good thing going. I really like that you're focusing on the Axial platform, and not just focusing on the MOA's like so many others.

Good luck with your build.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Well, thank you. Our chassis sell fine and I am sure you comment will not hurt them any. Everyone is entitled to their opinon.

I know we have a good thing going with this chassis. It has already proven itself in the MOA world. Now, it is time for us to show what it can do on a shafty chassis.

-Jason
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Got the wheels done. The fronts weight in at 9.8oz, down from 12.8oz. The rears weight in at 7.0oz, down from 9.80z. Not to bad...

Also, added the electronics. Its alive!!! Anyone still interested in this build and want to see some updated pictures?? What about a final weight??

-Jason
Old 07-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I'm watching. If you want to post pics, I'd be happy to look at them.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

I've been reading this thread and thought I would post a few pics of my Hakuja based AX10 for referrence. I am running full droop with 4" shocks and my GC is about 2.75".

Last edited by MrDublin; 07-20-2009 at 07:47 AM.
MrDublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDublin View Post
I've been reading this thread and thought I would post a few pics of my Hakuja based AX10 for referrence. I am running full droop with 4" shocks and my GC is about 2.75".
That thing looks pretty good. You should do a build thread on your rig to show everyone your setup. How are the 4" shocks in droop working for you? How does it crawl?

-Jason
Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Lookin good Jason! What kind and where are you gonna be putting that battery?
bayouhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

NICE!
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Try some 3racing mini lst shocks.
Great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I honestly believe that in order to compete with the upper level MOA's, you need to have as absolutely as low a COG as possible, and I just don't see that happening with an AX10 based rig with over about 2.5" of center clearance. Unfortunately, at that point, it's hard to break over some of the ledges that we run into in comps. Therefore, I think that a full droop or at least 3/4 droop, capable of dropping axle to make contact on the hard breakovers is the only answer to compete with an AX10 based crawler.
I firmly believe that I can prove your shafty ground clearance theory wrong.

4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #56
Pebble Pounder

such a clean build!!
blue bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Very nice looking build. How much ground clearance do you have with that? Still looks like less than 3".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
I firmly believe that I can prove your shafty ground clearance theory wrong.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Very nice looking build. How much ground clearance do you have with that? Still looks like less than 3".
Looks can be decieving, its dead on at 3" of clearance. Here is the build thread, hopefully I can update it this week:

Hakuja Comp Build

Sorry for the Hijack Jason.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouhazard View Post
Lookin good Jason! What kind and where are you gonna be putting that battery?

I am poor so I am running just the old saddel pack split pack deal.

I will try to update the pictures soon. Need to just take a few more. I got the last pieces finished today. So, it is almost ready to test...

-Jason
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #60

Chassis looks great! Any testing done yet?
Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote