Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Madkoifish's New crawler (slow build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Latest incarnation;

I am still using the Bigbores on those goofy stand offs. I know vanquish sells a alum part for this but I do not think the $24 for a set is worth it if I replace the chassis. I had hoped to do this soon but my scaler's junk electrics are driving me insane so new ESC and a spectrum RX is gonna eat the last of my stash.

I have since gone lipo, 3s (cause it was all they had) and it is nuts. I was about to go down to a 55t but a pinion change put things where I am liking it for now. Yes, I probably paid way too much for it. At this time I do not trust mail order to this location. I have already had issues with magazines being stolen. -_-;'

It has a new lid too. I changed my mind on the Losi lid and not sure what to do with that. Doubt Fast Track will take it back.

I will later on probably get those G-made shocks just to get rid of the fuel tube BS

I picked up a servo plate to move my batt to the axle. Issue is the Cs I have are too short. SO more $$ on parts. hahaha SO later on I will get some VP parts and probably BTA it all. (just need to get linkage or make something when I get a garage again) I will still have to look at spacing my wheels out a hair to get around that servo. Or some nice 1" metal rims?? hahah

Here you can see it binding on the tyre and the other side the linkage slaps into it. (Here I shimmed it to go over the plate but it hits the lipo)

I got the plate cause it was fairly cheap and far easier to deal with than cutting it by hand in the house. I no longer have my shop space.

On another thread someone had issues with the set screws in the Cs I looked at mine and they were pretty nasty. So they got replaced. With the high steer I could afford to just stuff button heads in there. It is all 3m hdw so what the hell.

My bodged shocks barely clear.

Overview of the whole thing. All the electrics are up for winter running and because I keep mucking with things so it just keeps them up and out of the way. I plan to replace the links and get everything on a red theme or black. And cutting down some links to get rid of all that spacer crap. (none of those skinny spacers are long enough) Not to mention I plan to migrate to a new chassis, so that is all on hold for now. I am quite happy with the rig as it sits right now. Only thing I would like is a VP dig in it. But again that is another thing on hold for when the chassis is replaced.

Random pics
to note the crawling pics are of the rig in a 10min rush to put it back together. I tore it apart when I was really tired and ended up being a git and skewered my finger with a throwing knife in a attempt to dislodge my ESC power switch :O SO, needless to say keen eyes will note a lack of lock nuts on the knuckles, sloppy battery, wires, etc.

camera+controller = in the hole and blurry pictures.

part of the location. Love this area cause the terrain changes from area to area. Other side of that bridge is very different and to the far right up one of the converging rivers is completely different. I will miss this area when I move down to Sac.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Oh, forgot to add this is the chassis I am considering as well. It is 2.5in wide about 1/4" narrower than what I am running right now. (roughly the thickness of the stock side plates.)

I am liking the multiple upper link locations and more shock holes since I can run my brace unconnected to the shocks. The inset lower link holes are nice too. Only issue I have is the link hdw is the only thing holding the plates to the skid. It also has a skid with a "lip" no more side plate hangups.

Only issue is what colour! red yellow black or that losi like pebble silver. hrmmm
Probably chicken out for the black.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Default Hacking up perfectly good parts.

I ran across these 2 threads
Narrowed 2.2 axial rims...took 1/4" off width...trying for more steer!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/231290-axial-8-hole-slw-wheels-double-narrowed.html#post2298843
Both narrowing the ARTR 8hole rims.

Since I was not using mine I decided to give this a go. Chucked a old drive cup in my drill. Mine has a large enough chuck I did not need to cut anything off. Just then installed a pin and hex and bolted the rim on and went to town with a razorsaw. (a dull one too need to replace it)
After hogging out a 1/4 or so ring of wheel I was sitting there with a 1 1/16 wide rim. Just wide enough for those greatplanes lead weights to fall between the walls of the beadlock. I do recommend if you have a drill press to use that to either chock the rim too or attach a min circular saw blade (dremel etc) and then set the heights so your rims are cut exactly the same. Mine is in storage so it was a hand on the drill and another holding the saw that skated all over. I do not recommend using anything else other than a razor saw ( I used the large ones for miters and the smaller ones that go into a standard handle) Hacksaws have a wave in the fine tooth blades that make cutting a guess at best. There is a reason hack is in the name.

I then got to swapping them out after supergluing the thing back together and lining the seam with Marine goop. I considered using epoxy with the lead installed and a covering of plastic over the whole rim but decided to wait and see how these hold up. I yanked off my other rims the multi-spoke smoke chrome ones and looking at the backside these would be even better to narrow since there is no structure on the backside to limit your cuts. So if these 8 holes work without breaking I will take the knife to those spoke rims.

With that done now my tyres do not rub my servo and do not hang up on shocks or the lipo. It now rests on the plate the way it was intended. All I have to do now is locate someone with shrink wrap. A real challenge since most place do not have it and often no colour choice. I just want a bit more security for the lipo. Still need to get those VP knuckles. gonna have enough Cs and knuckles for 3 rigs when I am done. Sheesh. Should sell em I know my SCX10 might get some of the parts. But that is if I use the AX axles. hrmmm

Rig doesn't look that great with the 8holes. lol I do need to strip the chrome and find some nice sticky flat paint. (needs to bind to the nylon)

Last edited by Madkoifish; 03-16-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

wow great links on the wheel mod, now i have a weekend project

looks like your truck is turning out great
Semi Pro is offline   Reply With Quote