Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: just got my first axial. AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default just got my first axial. AX10

& boy are they made cheap! cant beleave how much $$$/work it will take to make it much of a crawler. first test drive I blew the sterring servo driving in the grass. What a POS!
the thing is a feather weight!, tires to hard, shocks are way too stiff, sterring arm is flimsy as hell, motor is way too fast & on & on...
Oh & the alum links the P.O. put on hit the shocks unless you lay them flat..

Not sure if Ill keep it or not. I dont realy need another money pit. LOL

here it is:

Last edited by airdreams1; 11-18-2010 at 11:20 PM.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I like the red bars happy up grading
rockn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Tossin' Salad

Hahaha...welcome to the game.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It looks like its a Ready to Race version. My ready to Crawl came with differant tires and a 55turn motor that was plenty slow. I did of couse end up replacing everything but the axles, transmission, and chassis. So I guess it doesnt matter which version you start with.
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm building mine off of a few parts I got from a friend and found some of the same things while building, although I won't know for sure until I'm rolling. But the springs do seem way to stiff, the stock tires seemed like they would even be very good for bashing and I also find the truck very light so far. I asked my buddy the other day what he thought his weighed because so far I just can't see the truck wieghing +/- 5lbs when I'm done.
cagedcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcbr View Post
I'm building mine off of a few parts I got from a friend and found some of the same things while building, although I won't know for sure until I'm rolling. But the springs do seem way to stiff, the stock tires seemed like they would even be very good for bashing and I also find the truck very light so far. I asked my buddy the other day what he thought his weighed because so far I just can't see the truck wieghing +/- 5lbs when I'm done.
stock tires and springs really arent that great for crawling. I have spent the last 8 months or so turning my RTR into a fairly capable crawler - with weighted wheels, lots of aluminum goodies, dig, and lipo, it weighs in at just over 5lbs. I know I've seen other builds on here weighing in under 5 too.

Don't give up on it, IMO, taking it apart and rebuilding with a new upgrade every other weekend is half the fun
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the hobby.

As you are finding out, the RTR rock racer in its stock form isn't great for much else besides breaking. I actually got a lot of use out of my stock components (a year later I finally upgraded my stock servo - its my spare and still works) so I just upgraded as I broke stuff.

Check out my build, I started with more or less the same thing you have right now. Maybe you get generate some ideas on what to spend money on next.

The great thing about this hobby is parts are cheap, more or less. If you upgrade as you go, it won't put much of a dent in your pocket book. The shocks can be adjusted and tuned for practically nothing. Cut the foam in your tires and sipe the rock lizards for a little more traction until you get new tires. Cut the body for better clearance. Play with the link set up. Put in a 45-65 turn motor for slower speed and crawling ability. Install the front locker if its not already. and on and on.

Here is my build, maybe you will get some ideas. Don't give up on it yet, these things are really fun!

46&2 mini-crawler AX-10 build

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 11-20-2010 at 02:28 PM.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a TLT-1 so I have a slight idea about crawlers, thats why I said I dont know if Ill keep it. (tlt is my first crawler)... The TLT has been a money pit so far. I have close to 500 spent in it already. But have yet to finish it up & realy try it out. It has weighted alum wheels & moab tires, bender chassis, pede trans & maxx axles, Integy piggyback shocks, FXR & 55t integy motor & so on..)

the axial truck seems like it would fall apart if it had a light role from 2 ft. just seems like its realy cheaply made.. still cant beleave the servo striped from driving in grass. LOL
Front & rear axles seem to be locked. has stock 27T motor

might put my tekin 35T in it & try it out after I get a servo.

Last edited by airdreams1; 11-21-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice choice your going to like it
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
RCC Addict

It's an entry level rig, so it's not going to perform like some of these $1,000+ comp rigs you see in the forums. That being said, upgrades are fairly cheap but nothing beats getting to know the truck, changing what you don't like and building it up till it's the best it can be for what you want it to do.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #11

I kinda sorta feel the same way about my RTC....even though I realy knew deep down that it was just a starter rig and wouldnt probably be that great out of the box for the price. And I knew going in that I would have to spend some coin to get it where I wanted it.

So look at as it is, which is a hobby. Spend what you can as you go. Try and prioritise your upgrades. Meaning, find what is most important to the rig to upgrade first once you decide what it realy needs fixed to fit you and leave the "fun upgrades" till later.
whatwasithinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Upgrading is part of the fun IMO. Of course I don't like the cost of it all, but nobody said r/c's where cheap. You gotta pay to play. I have yet to find a truly cheap hobby. Heck...even Geocaching costs a fortune with gas being almost $3 a gallon these days.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Well I still have the crawler.... Just put a Traxxas Hi-torque servo in it. I know its only 80oz, but its all I have at the molment. & also put in an integy 55t motor.....

I did change the links to outside the shocks @ the axle to help keep them from rubbing on the shocks.... (they were on the inside before) it seems a litle better.
Is that a good way to do them?

Any ideas why its faster in reverse than forward???? (stock esc still)

Oh & if anyone has any aluminium or hop-up parts they want to sell reasnably, please let me know.... I hate all the plastic parts on this thing...
Just way to much flex!!!

Last edited by airdreams1; 12-12-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Change the polarity.
It's easy, just switch the wires on the motor
that will help
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

That was my plan, but just thought it was wierd... I made sure to solder the positive wire to the positive on the motor & conect to the positive on the ESC.... Just thought there might be some other reason...

this was only my second time trying this truck (this time in the house.) last time I got anout 30 seconds run time out side in the grass & blew the servo. Didnt even make acros the yard to the rock pile. LOL So I didnt get a real feal for how it was working...
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I think I'll be in the same situation as you. I know I was with my short-course truck. I ended up breaking/replacing every part except the chassis and steering bellcrank.

I haven't yet gotten my AX-10, but I'm going for the ARTR so I can avoid the problems of cheap-o stock parts. I've got enough lying around my house to get the ARTR up and going.

I'd definitely say keep trying/adjusting/changing/replacing things until it gets the way you like. If I would have given up I wouldn't be having fun with my friends every day on the track.

I can't wait to get my crawler.
BluFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

The problem is that I have a fairly nice TLT crawler that only needs a couple mort things. Im new here. That said you can guess that I already have way to much spent into it... Surew I coulf use form of the things on the axial. but since the TLT is my first, I have this wierd atachment to it....
Im prety sure Ill keep the axila for now & get a few upgrades & see if itrealy is better or not.....
Being on a very limited budget doesnt help either.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

No rush, just be patient
BluFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thats probably the hardest part of crawling! You just want to get it all set up with the best posible equiptment ASAP & then drive it....
The other way is like getting a POS from the wrecking yard, driving it & braking down every other day untill you have the $$$ & time to fix it up.... then more braking down & wating & on & on...

Last edited by airdreams1; 12-16-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Notch the corners of your skid and inboard the lower links @chassis. This will keep you from getting hung up as much.
If you can swing it, you can get a smaller battery (lipo) and mount it to the upper links with a lexan plate thus lowering your CG. That will help a ton with side hills and climbing.

Last edited by Pdog7; 12-16-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote