Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: just got my first axial. AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #41

I'm posting here to make finding this thread easier. I'm leaning towards picking this up, and it will be cool to use some of your knowledge to help me on my journey.
ibarnes113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

changed things up quite a bit (used this as a refferance http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html) Still needs some tweeking, but now its a lot better.

pics comming...
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Cut down the body to lower the COG. Also took the heat gun to it & made it a bit more rounded. Doesnt seem to get stuck on the platform that useto be the roof/hood.

Here is how it sits at the molment... Going to the comp on the 18th to try it out & see if its any better. (any inprovement from last time, coming in dead last with 76 points, would be much better. But that was agenst moa's with digs) I have no expectations of placing well, just having fun & seeing if its any better.

Last edited by airdreams1; 09-13-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

So i decided to do the mirrored trans thing & all I can say is wow. Im not inpressed.
Now the torque twist is worse! & When I let off the throtle the truck roles horibly to the pasanger side! (insted of just rolling to the drivers side apon exceleration)

Either I did something wrong or this set-up isnt all its cracked up its to be.

<---- front of the truck

<---- front of truck

Last edited by airdreams1; 09-14-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

well I went to one of the actual comps... Since Im the only one in sportsman, I cant say how realy did.... First place in my class with 130 total points. But if you looked at overall scores I came in in 10th place (thats agenst pro drivers. All moas with digs & having to be juged on all gates)

I think the truck did better (though I still have lots of tweeking to do) & I broke it twice. 1 had to be repared on the corse with time running.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I changed the wheels. & it now has a wider stance.

Wheels are alum. RD400/Erikson beadlocks

Last edited by airdreams1; 11-02-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking rig. I'd say tenth is very respectable for a stockish AX-10.

What I found to help a ton with lateral stability and reducing torque twist was to drill new holes in the chassis to use longer upper links.

This is the only pic I have showing where to drill the holes. This made such a difference that I no longer wish for an aftermarket chassis.

I also found that relocating the body mounts to the upper shock holes reduced getting hung up on them.

For upper links I used tie rods from an older style T-maxx. I mounted them to the chassis without the stock spacers. I believe that the wider spacing of the upper links on the chassis compared to the inboarded lower links adds to the stabilty.

The last thing I moved was to outboard the rear shocks so they mounted outside of the chassis plates and outside of the lower link mounts. This requires some longer bolts and some spacers. It will reduce the total flex, but what you gain in stability is very worth it.

Found a pic of the outboarded shocks, taken at a different time than the other pic which doesn't yet have the shocks outboarded.

And lastly, you went to a comp, finished in the top ten, and didn't even take any pictures on the rocks? Shame on you.

Last edited by meatmonkey; 10-18-2011 at 04:38 PM.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

I have pics... But I took over 100 & didnt want to post them all here. Odviously I didnt take any pics of me riving, I let someone else use the camera to do it.

link to all the pics...
Table rock comp

This is my favorite action shot (not my rig) yes i took this one... cactching it was luck.
DSC04735

Last edited by airdreams1; 10-18-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

how do you like the rovers? what color dot are they?
team423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: just got my first axial. AX10

Im wating on the new rules before I put this on....

I wont bother putting it on if the rules change & they wont alow them in the sportsman classs..... I have the alum for the body panles but havnt cut them out yet either...

But am putting in my FXR & 3s lipo, JR 9100T servo & some other stuff...
Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Default Re: just got my first axial. AX10

i see you still have the rig haha.. i just got a RTC with the new 2.4ghz electronics in it and ran it today. here's a few things i did to mine today that helped a pissload..

-took the trans/motor skid out spun it 180* and put it back in so spur gear is facing forward
-move body posts up using hole in chassis right beside shockslowered body
-got that big ass battery off the top and ran lipo with it velcroed to the servo
-lowered body and drilled new holes

on my to do list but may help you also:
-new servo (7955 TG)
-4-link the rear, leave front 3 link
-tires
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote