Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: new Fastback "The Mean Bean"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #21
Suck it up!

I dunno, that front shock angle still looks weird. It looks like the nose would hit the upper links before the shocks bottom out too.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I dunno, that front shock angle still looks weird. It looks like the nose would hit the upper links before the shocks bottom out too.
Nope it could use some more tuning yes hitting the rocks in the AM and working it out there. An actually no the socks bottom out a good bit before hitting the links. The links do rub the drive shaft a little at full flex but Im not going to worry to much about that. It settles very well, the shocks dont just unload when flexing, and looking at it the shocks seem to be around the same angle. Either way its waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the first pics

Last edited by xjcritter; 10-05-2011 at 07:03 PM.
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Thats one way to do it. I like my diy delrin links for my build.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Thats one way to do it. I like my diy delrin links for my build.
I might be working on some delrin links in the future if these dont turn out the way I like. I do know that delrin links slide alot better than these links
Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
I might be working on some delrin links in the future if these dont turn out the way I like. I do know that delrin links slide alot better than these links
Your goal is a 12.5" wheelbase. Some threaded rod and some delrin rod won't run more than 10 bucks and will let you make at least a few sets of lower links.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
Your goal is a 12.5" wheelbase. Some threaded rod and some delrin rod won't run more than 10 bucks and will let you make at least a few sets of lower links.
At 12.5"wb was where I had to front shock and link issues I have not measured it after I bent the links but I have not lost that much may 1/2 to 5/8" still crawls up a wall pretty far before wanting to flip
Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I've seen one of these chassis at a local comp. and it was set up 40/60 and worked very well! I think if you shorten your fronts a bit and lengthen your rear, you'll be even more amazed how well it works! I'll dig threw my shafty stuff and see what all links I have... I made a bunch of links sizes up... Just not sure where they are located!
Brackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackett View Post
I've seen one of these chassis at a local comp. and it was set up 40/60 and worked very well! I think if you shorten your fronts a bit and lengthen your rear, you'll be even more amazed how well it works! I'll dig threw my shafty stuff and see what all links I have... I made a bunch of links sizes up... Just not sure where they are located!
lol I have the same issue funding things around here. Im fairly positive I got it close. Ill post up some pics tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

went out for a little test n tune on my new rig and yet again WOW anything I pointed it at it climbed. Well except the stuff I knew was impossible. Side hills like a champ, climbs like a champ in off camber and climb, and down hills amazing. The stock sedona/ rock lizard foams really gives it the side wall bite and stiffness. Thinking of working up some kind of knuckle weight system just get it out of the wheels for more speed.

I got tired of the Chub screws coming loose so I whipped up for brass axle inserts and while I was at it I added some extra caster as well. Gotta look for it but their in there.

I didnt take any other build pics cause everyones seen a axle being built.

Now for some action pics that sorta justify this chassis

First attempt flawless second...,,well it rolls back over very well also

this is really under cut at the approach. Crawls up to about 75ish* before it hooks up top and over

I love my roof and the On/'Off switch actually stayed out of the way..view other build pics to see it...

welp there you have it waiting on more ideas to come up before next post. Untill then enjoy
Old 12-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

bump for my reference and upcoming updates..
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: new Fastback "The Mean Bean"

Ieght guys its been awhile and nothing special has been done. Just figured I would throw up some updates to anyone interested in viewing
and for those wondering..yes thats a 32in TV on the background and yes I still use the remote

I drilled and shaved down the stock dog bone cups to squeeze as much steering as possible

Bent the servo plate down as low as possible to clear the crazy clocked Cs

straightend up the wires just a tad

Toyed with the shocks a bit to get a lil more rake in my stance

Little less straight up that Id like but no complaints

not the tip of a screw driver but its still only about 1/2in and balances perfect

Ill throw some actual steering angles out when I get the tie rod and linkage figured out.

Comments and questions welcomed
Old 12-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Well even if no ones responding Im still redoing my Fastback II chassis and finally got the tie rod and drag link set up. I feel some high clearance knuckles or just bending these ones out some more would give me a few more degrees of steering, still stock drilled and filed dog bone cups, with out the bones coming out of the joints next on the list would be knuckle weights front an rear. Still trying to figure out how to keep the 460 hub skinnynes and still get a few Oz. out of the rims.

not much but heres the turning ratio of my turd

Still need to get the weight a little lower. still a little tipsy on its side...
Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Well after some goof off testing in my buddies back yard I realized I needed to change a few things to my rig.

Heres a few shots for my goof off testing

well the rainy day wrenching took a turn for the worst when I go hold of the pipe bender an went to town on my front lower links

and after bending them into more of a spaghetti looking mess one of them finally broke no pic of that but I got hold of my scaler and stripped the links off of in instead. While I was at it I inboarded my shocks and links on the axle side

Thanks to CHUDS and DickyTs and all the other awesome FB builds for that one.

after inboarding everything on the axles I turned to the chassis side and put the shocks on the supplied shock mount. Thanks to CHUD for the perfect pic on this one. and flipped the shocks upside down to gain a bit more room up top. Anyone run the stock RTC shocks upside down? How well do they work upside down? Well I decided to do a slightly less bent front link configuration and ended up with this set up for now

just above a normal BIC lighter hight

and with my next add on I may have to adjust the axle plate a little more for the wicked steering throw thats coming because right now everything is real snug at full throw

Future plans include XR front knuckles n Chubs n shafts..cut to stock AX length. Big bore shocks with mini T springs and some type of adjustments on the ESC settings. But that will have to wait till I get it on the rocks
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #34
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

Thanks to CHUDS and DickyTs and all the other awesome FB builds for that one.
Richard's a Fastback Master

Quote:

Thanks to CHUD for the perfect pic on this one.
Ok, I'll take credit for this one

Quote:

Future plans include XR front knuckles n Chubs n shafts..cut to stock AX length. Big bore shocks with mini T springs ..
That's exactly how I'm running right now
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

That's exactly how I'm running right now [/QUOTE]

and I am stealing all of them ideas also

Do I actually need the Chubs or can I use the AX ones? besides the splines on the XRs is there really a advantage to using them?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #36
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

and I am stealing all of them ideas also

Do I actually need the Chubs or can I use the AX ones? besides the splines on the XRs is there really a advantage to using them?
You have to use XR Chubs with XR knuckles because of the kingpin angle. AX will not work.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

That is what I thought..Much appreciated Juan
Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

So with a 65 degree 2 days before Christmas I got to get some test an tune on my new set up.

New specs are:
Tekin FXR 35t pro combo..Still needs a little minor tweaks to make it perfect
DH pro comps with 460hubs and 4 weights each wrapped in Sedonas..new foam set up is much needed
Stock RTC rims out back wrapped in Sedonas..same with the foam
new slightly bent links up front, 4 3/8ths eye to eye, with revo ends
Hobby king servo...numbers rubbed off...Good bit of torque set at 7.4v and only 20 bucks
bent down axle plate nothing special just clears the tires
Drilled and filed dog bone cups
Homemade TOOBS with added caster idk how much but its quiet a bit

While running it I realized that this things a champ. Juan couldnt have done anything better. With the right set up this chassis just flat out works. Side hills,climbs straight and off camber, decents, cracks, everything just amazing.

I did realize I needed a few things needed to be changed such as my foam set up, Stock sedona with rock lizard foams cut in half and stuffed on both sides, I have some real dense packing foam Im going to cut up to make side foams and see how that works out. and honestly besides ripping the D mount off the rear axle I like the set up so far.

ON WITH THE TESTING PICS..Build pics later..These were all driving into and out of spots..yes some were replaced for better pics but NO POSER SHOTS HERE

As you can see in the close ups of the tires the foams are just a tad bit to soft and like to wrap up when under full load climbs or side hills.

Oh and for those who are wrapped up freezing with 2 days before Christmas this is just a HAAAA pic for ya

Last edited by xjcritter; 12-23-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Well guys I got a new foam set up in the front tires and played a lil with a new innovative set up also . I didnt do much tuning wise just added a super dense foam ring to the inside and repacked everything making sure the foams were set perfectly inside the whole way round.

old foam set up. Stock rock lizard memory foams cut in half and placed on the outsides of the Sedona foams. Works awesome on the rear just to soft up front.

So I got to looking for some foam to use and stumbled on some old packing foam laying around. good not to throw away things sometimes, Its about a 1/2in think and real stiff foam/styrofoam stuff. I know C.I. is proto typing a similar setup so why not try out this stuff.

Sits nicely inside the tire and I also trimmed it just inside the bead area of the rim.

heres a before pic to show the difference in the setup.

while playing around trying new things I stumbled upon this idea. Dont know why noones thought of this before

Thats all for updates Ill get some comparison pics up the next time Im out. Let me know what you guys think about me setup so far
Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

I'm glad you made some new links for the front. The old ones were killing me!!! I have thought about making you some just so you would take the old ones off! The stance looks much nicer now!!!! Also, the stock shocks suck... When you get the bigbores on you will be amazed at how well it flows over the rocks! Glad you are making progress!!! Looking forward to another crawl spencer Mtn.!!!!
Brackett is offline   Reply With Quote