Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: 4-Link Setup Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #1

Default 4-Link Setup Question

I've changed the links on my AX10 to a 4link setup and added some spacers so I can reach the further hole in the chassis. Problem is I only have .5" threaded rods and cant fit more spacers and with that configuration the axle input shaft sits horizontal compared to the original setup which was pointing a bit upwards as seen in the photo below with the green line. Front is old setup back is new setup. Will do both once I solve this axle clocking problem. Do I really need to match the position of the shaft like it was originally or I can leave it at 90 degrees. Would this cause issues with the MIP drive shafts that I have comming... I'm new to this hobby and while I have a lot of modding experience this is a new teritory for me.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by essence25; 04-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.
essence25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 4-Link Setup Question

Search: "how to make links". Your rear upper links aren't mounted in the stock location on the chassis; that is what is causing the difference in pinion angles. You can solve your problem by simply moving them to the stock location, but I think the higher holes are better. I would make some new longer upper links so you can use those higher holes and have the pinion angled upwards. I would shoot for level to the ground upper links with the shocks halfway compressed. You can use spacers to raise the uppers at the axle side to accomplish this. Hope that helps!

Last edited by opek; 04-07-2012 at 08:41 PM.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence25 View Post
Do I really need to match the position of the shaft like it was originally or I can leave it at 90 degrees. Would this cause issues with the MIP drive shafts that I have comming...
No, and not really.

Will the (axle) pinion angle cause problems? Absolutely not. In 1:1's, it's recommended to keep the pinion shaft inline with the trans output shaft, not only for NVH concerns, but decreased wear also.
But in a crawler, you may run into problems. Basically, imagine if you were driving over a ledge (or off a table), the corner you drop over will smack right on your driveshaft.
If you don't mind beatin' the tar outta your driveshaft, then leave it like it is. From a purely mechanical standpoint, there's nothing inherently wrong with either angle you've shown. Angling your pinion shafts up will just get the rocks to scrape up your links instead of your shafts.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Set your pinion where you want it, measure the distance between the 2 points you want your links to mount to, then either order links that size (Axial makes multiple link lengths), or make some out of your choice of materials.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You could also make spacers to lenghten out the upper links and then use longer grub screws. This will raise your pinion angle so that it doesn't hang up on breakovers.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

For the rear axle, I would adjust your link lengths so that you pinion is pointed up towards the transmission. This will get it out of the rocks, and also be easier on your driveshaft.

The front takes a bit more care in setting up since you are also altering your caster. Set your caster for the front axle, then adjust your link length so that it keeps that angle.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

4-Link Setup Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 link setup help CountryChevy15 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 11-29-2011 11:35 AM
Link setup on TCS 4 link plates and boulder chassis sdcrawls Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 11-17-2009 02:37 AM
New help with link setup trailduster79 Tamiya Clod Buster 1 08-04-2006 01:23 PM
4 Link Setup Help! Techball Tamiya Clod Buster 9 05-22-2006 11:20 PM
Link setup question... should be easy.. BigJay Tamiya Clod Buster 10 08-10-2005 12:12 PM