Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: heavy crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default heavy crawler

well i bought an integy steel chassis it was heavier than i thought and so i put soom large weights in the tires that are 1 inch wide and hold together with two rubber o rings
and that seemed to stop the top heavy roll over and i now have this

and i made some panels here

and here
and have now come up with this
it comes in around 7.5 pounds almost 8 and wondering how to power this heavy tank i have a losi esc with a 45t and an 87/12 now but the motor gets pretty hot had a 55t and had no wheel speed so changed to the 45t. is there a better setup for heavy rigs i like the grip and climb it has. my wifes rig ( sorry no pic) but is the proline plastic tube chassis and light its set with the same esc and spur/ pinion and a novak 55t
and it is a crawlin son of gun.should i ditch the heavyu chassis or change my esc/motor combo im thinking esc and motor but what is good for heavy truck? thanks guys for your input.
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: heavy crawler

Yeah, I'd send the chassis to the shelf. Too heavy and too high, IMO. Most of the guys building shafties are looking at 5lbs max and some are under that.

If you can't see yourself scrapping the chassis, try a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster. A 16T version can handle that type of weight. My Wraith is 8.5 lbs with that exact motor and it handles it with ease.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I have the same chassis, and even the same color. lol. Mine weighs in at just under 6lbs. I used Losi shocks to get the COG down a bit and it seems to be working really well. Although a lighter chassis would be nice it does the job for sure.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks you guys. is the T in the 16t is that for "turn"? because i thought that going lower in turn was the wrong way. I will look up the HH 16t.
and look at another chassis too. maybe find one cheap. i love the bodiless chassis' the most.
any one with some more advice would be great.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

the T does stand for Turn but the CrawlMasters have a different number of magnets so you can't judge speed/torque by that number.
Go to his web site and look at the rpm info... I'd post it for ya but I'm on my cell phone... you may want to go a little higher.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
the T does stand for Turn but the CrawlMasters have a different number of magnets so you can't judge speed/torque by that number.
Go to his web site and look at the rpm info... I'd post it for ya but I'm on my cell phone... you may want to go a little higher.
Segments, not magnets.

Crawlmasters are a 5 segment armature with very similar characteristics to a standard 3 segment armature that has twice as many turns. A 16t 5 segment is similar to a 35 turn 3 segment.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

^^ yeah, that's the ticket! ^^
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

so a 16t with a heavy unit like mine? is a 35 in reality. heat is my problem with a 45t and 12/87 so stay same gearing with a 16t?

heavy crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy crawler vs light crawler holycaveman General Crawlers 31 02-06-2018 02:32 PM
Heavy crawler? rcdude Newbie General 4 08-21-2011 01:24 PM
Another AX10 build - but it's not a crawler... ;) (warn-pic heavy) beomagi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 06-18-2008 10:34 AM
top-heavy TLT "crawler" microgoat Tamiya TLT Crawlers 24 11-24-2005 05:43 AM