Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Converting a AX10 to a SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #1

Default Converting a AX10 to a SCX10

Hello,

i was wondering how easy to would be to convert a stock ax10 to a scx10. i was thinking about buying the scx10 frame kit and just mounting the ax10 parts on it. Would they fit and how easy would it be?
Bigboyblue25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Converting a AX10 to a SCX10

the trucks are the same except for the chassis so you can just switch everything over onto the scx chassis easily
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i did this and all the links were different. i didn't do CMS so getting the servo to fit in between the frame braces was the issue, then adjusting the wheelbase for the body i wanted. this is really an easy swap and i was tired of looking at my sport rig just lying around.
sumquak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I had an AX10, purchased the scx10 chassis, and converted it.

It was an easy swap. The only difference is the length of the links. As sumquak pointed out, you'll need to adjust them according to the wheel base of you body.

I didn't use the CMS kit as well, but i had no issues with the front servo hitting the frame. The rear steering servo however was a different story.

Oh, forgot to mention. you will need shorter shocks for your rig. if you are looking to save some $$$ then you can shorten them internally . Im using the original scx10 shocks as i found a set of 90mm i had were a tad too short for my purposes.

Although i had lots of fun with the AX10, i wanted to have something a bit more scale and less top heavy and have not regretted the swap.
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

Just finished doing this myself, kinda wished I would have just sold the AX and bought a Dingo Kit. I think I took the thing back apart something in the neighborhood of 1,746 times with making links to shorten the wheelbase enough to fit my Blazer body, (which also required shortening the driveshafts), getting the battery tray fitted, finding a place for the servo, etc..... Think I've got more $$$ in it than a new Kit would've cost, and still don't have sliders, light buckets, or the larger bumpers that's in the kit. Now, true, I did spring some coin for the Holmes motor/Sidewinder Micro/CC BEC combo, which I still would have had to buy for the kit, too, but still, I think I'da been happier (and money ahead) putting the tires/wheels/chassis money with whatever I got from selling the AX, and getting a Dingo.

If you wanna do it, go for it, but it's going to be more work than just plopping your drivetrain in a new chassis. Gotta admit, it's fun when you're done, though.

I went with the Blazer body 'cause A) I've had it laying around for a few years now, and B) I want to paint it up like the CUCVs we had back when I was in the SeaBees. Dingo body wouldn't have required nearly as short of a wheelbase, so I could've used stock links, and since it didn't need to replicate any vehicle I've had experience with, I coulda just sprayed some Fascolor inside it and had it out on the trails a long time ago.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

Thanks for the quick response guys, I'm still tempted to do it but my savox servo has just died on me so that's first on the list. If I do end up doing it Ill post it all on here. I might just try and get the x-trail chassis from the USA if I can
Bigboyblue25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

yeah, i like the xtrail chassis, used it on my first comp to scale conversion. the xtrail has more options stock than the axial chassis. and all things being equal, i got more flex out of that xtrail chassis than i do out of my axial chassis. miss that truck.
slipangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Honestly, unless you plan on building links, sliders, bumper mounts, body mounts, buying new shocks, radio box, lights and buckets, probably some 1.9 wheels, blah blah blah just buy a dingo kit and sell the AX roller for about $100. You'll be out the same cost, but with a brand new truck, nothing missing.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Id buy the kit an sell off the ax10 as a roller as well. With the kit you get all the extra goodies and everythings fresh.

Fat fingered from the phone- Corey
SunShine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax10, converting, scaler, scx10

Converting a AX10 to a SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting SCX10 to fit New Bright JK Body? deadbase Axial SCX-10 1 03-01-2013 04:48 PM
Converting my ax10 into a hustler se chassis, need some advice on new link setup Banshee94 General Crawlers 1 01-20-2013 02:56 PM
Converting Hustler chassis for ax10 swap Banshee94 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 01-03-2011 02:34 PM
CONVERTING Stock AX10 into a SW3 All Out 2.2 COMP RIG (Build!! w/ PICS) patrick21x Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 01-02-2011 11:29 AM
Converting my AX10 to an SCX... lose the rear steer? 4drmopar Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 07-13-2009 12:13 PM