Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Front axle question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Front axle question...

So I tried the search and nothing on this topic.

So I've run the truck for a few days in my yard and at a local park. Started getting a bad squeak when running in either direction.

So last night I took both axles apart and found the front axle was full of dirt and sand. Got it all cleaned out and packed with grease, but I think I figured out where the dirt was getting in. There are 4 unused holes in the top of the axle, 2 on each side of the diff.

I took small screws and turned them in to fill them, ran the truck and seems to have clearance. Is this going to give me problems? Should I remove them? Seemed like a simple solution to my problem of the sand getting in, I know it won't help with water.

Thanks for the help,
Will-
Ghostrider304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Front axle question...

I use 3mm setscrews for the same purpose.

Bearing sets are cheap, sounds like you should invest in one.

I run in water alot, so I drilled a hole in the axle case for another 3mm setscew. This hole allows me to visually inspect the ring gear, tighten the setscrews on my spool, and insert a needle fitting for my grease gun to "pack" the axles full of grease. Every few packs give them a few pumps till grease oozes out the pinion and axle ends. Keeps the bearings and gears happy. Also makes a mess, but I'm into that.

Make double sure your new bolts aren't rubbing the axles. I think even a 3x6mm will rub if threaded all the way in. The setscews I use are only 3mm long.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Front axle question...

I used a 3x4mm screw. They are short.

Will-
Ghostrider304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Front axle question... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrowing front Wraith Axle for front of scx10 rusty577 Axial SCX-10 12 02-02-2013 10:30 PM
LNC front axle teardown/axle shaft removal guide? LowLock Team Losi Comp Crawler 1 05-22-2011 09:31 PM
Quick front axle question some87 Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 05-16-2010 10:45 PM
front steering linkage behind front axle kit? slip408 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-14-2008 01:16 AM
A quick question about my front axle cdl822 HPI Wheely King 4 09-07-2008 01:50 PM