Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Plastic housings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Plastic housings

Hi

I have just built up a sportsman crawler for the start of the 2015 season and am having a heap of issues with the front axle

The axle is a plastic ax10 axle housing with brass burly tubes and xr10 universals

The problem I had was one of the tubes pulled the two screws holding it in place while driving around the house so I fixed that by adding two extra screws to each tube through the housing as well as adding longer screws to the ends of the housing through the collars

But while out testing for the first time I came across another problem

This is that for some reason, the tubes are rotating just enough in the housings for me to notice that the c hubs are out of alignment

My screws have all been lock tited in place

Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it?

I think I will have to go to aluminium housings so they hold the screws better

Thanks heaps

Jayden
JAYDEN1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Plastic housings

It sounds like your screws are to long and are touching the universals or you have a binding issue some where. You should dis assemble the axle to find the culprit
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
It sounds like your screws are to long and are touching the universals or you have a binding issue some where. You should dis assemble the axle to find the culprit
Oh man! It's a ghost on the forum!!! Lol..

Good to see you posting again mang!

Anyways.. I agree. Sounds like ur longer screw's are a little too long maybe..
Try backing the longer screw's out just a little at a time. When things are spinning smoothly, you'll know how much shorter ur screw's need to be.

I don't think an aluminum axle case is need. It's just Heavy!
I run the stock housing and delrin tubes, without issue, when everything is put together right.

A little axle research is the way to go.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
RcBros Hobbies

As mentioned, longer screws may by needed, or longer screws depending on whats needed. Just make sure the screws are actually engaging and threaded into the burly tube.

Ive had some customers swear they drilled and tapped the tube later to find out all they did was wallow out the hole and the screw isn't secured to any material. Both scalers and sportys alike, a single well placed and secured screw should be enough some like to do one on each side of the inner housing to be certain.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
As mentioned, longer screws may by needed, or longer screws depending on whats needed. Just make sure the screws are actually engaging and threaded into the burly tube.

Ive had some customers swear they drilled and tapped the tube later to find out all they did was wallow out the hole and the screw isn't secured to any material. Both scalers and sportys alike, a single well placed and secured screw should be enough some like to do one on each side of the inner housing to be certain.

This happened to me with a couple of screws. They were fully seated into the housing but wouldn't engage the tube. After a little patience I was able to get them tight but it was a P.I.A.

I also have one on each side of the inner housing like Mr. Bro suggests.
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:41 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies

After much testing and pulling apart I found the culprit of my mis aligned c hubs...

The problem was not within in the tubes them selves but with in the c hubs

The problem was that the play in the c hub splines caused the c hubs to mis align with use

So I fixed this my adding another screw in the very back of the c hub slot to punch the c hubs back so they had no more play on the tubes

Thanks for the help

Jayden
JAYDEN1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Plastic housings - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metal or Plastic Axle Housings? YellowRabbit Newbie General 7 02-04-2014 09:26 PM
Housings CronusTRD Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 03-02-2009 12:06 PM
Need to know the best plastic on plastic friction reducer. TurboB18C Chit Chat 2 04-06-2005 04:28 PM