Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Punched Cookie Monster "budget" build

What tires do you want to run?
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Default Re: ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build

right now it will be along time before it ever moves under its own power so anything will work. Im hopping i can score a set with decent wheels that are ready to go, ill ditch the tires soon after the thing can move.
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

im looking to trade the crawlmaster motor if anybody is interested. I could use some other things to progress the build right now and im thinking if i use a lower power motor i might be able to save some money on the transmission and driveline.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

ended trading the motor straight up for some used aluminum wraith links and brand new tsl xl 2.2 tires. I know a scale tire really has no place on a "comp rig" but im not going to be competeing so it will fit my needs. Now im on the hunt for some cheap beadlock wheels so i can finally have a rolling chassis. Every time i am looking for wheels i always end up looking at goodies for the ar60 axles. I think for sure im going to do a front diff cover from strc STRC Ver. 2CNC Machined Alum. HD Diff Cover for Axial Wraith, Yeti (Black) Im not sure if the tie rod and drag link will be with the links so i might buy those from strc also. Im sure there are better ones out there but the price point on those is what made up my mind.

i think im going to have enough to get a transmission together and maybe even get some drive shafts, is it worth it to get a single peice output or a spool? I am for sure loading it with metal gears, i see alot of aluminum trans cases going around.... is that something im going to need if i end up putting a decent amount of power in it?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

I would have given you a smoking deal on tires I got 15lbs from another member recently. And yes you want good outputs. Metal case is not a priority just starting out.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:20 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

oh well, thanks anyway. Ill have to keep that in mind if i go looking for tires again!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

it finally happened, an axle is attatched to the chassis. It feels like im not getting as much articulation out of it as i should be, ive been trading messages with cboggs about what the best way to go is and hopefully ive just forgotten what reasonable flex is. Here is the begining of getting a roller!

stay tuned folkes, i got some part ordering to do, anybody have any input on the next budget friendly parts to buy? I need a drag link and tie rod and some wheels and then it can roll around and have all the links needed.

Will need alot of help picking a servo, not really sure what to get other than metal gears and hi tourque
Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Yahoo you didn't sell it. For a servo I think it was locked up rc that had one with 300 plus torque for 30 ish.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #49
5th D Owner/Driver

Once you get shocks on there so its more at ride height and the chassis isn't on the table you should be able to see how your travel is and what is binding. Its hard to tell without shocks and wheels to see exactly what you got happening.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #50
RCC Addict

The holmes hobbies brushless servo is pretty hard to beat.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Yahoo you didn't sell it. For a servo I think it was locked up rc that had one with 300 plus torque for 30 ish.
i checked locked up rc for that servo and they are sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
The holmes hobbies brushless servo is pretty hard to beat.
I would love to have as much as possible from holmes but his prices really dont help my slim budget, this servo is also out of stock

The plan right now is to get some shocks as advised by cboggs and see where i stand as far as links. I was looking around at alot of sites and ended up looking at asiatees.com again. Initially i was kind of put off because everything looks like cheap knock off parts that arent worth the materials they were made of. With the prices they have and considering they are an rcc vendor i am going to give them a shot, hopefully if its all crap the rcc community will have my back.

the shocks
Boom Racing Boomerang Type I Aluminum Internal Shocks Set 110MM (2) Blue BRSI0110

steering linkage- i will have to add a part since its a one peice design and i am using the truss with not stock servo placement
TopCad Axial Wraith Aluminum Steering Linkage Blue 23003

diff cover- i want to get one of these but the color i want is out of stock... i dont really NEED it anyway
TopCad Axial Wraith Aluminum Protector for Diff. Case Blue 23032

for wheels i think i am just going to go with some stock black 8 holes from axial. They are cheaper than anything else i have found and ive used them before so that makes me feel a bit better. I was considering some billet wheels but i just really dont see the point in them.

let me know what you guys think!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #52
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
The plan right now is to get some shocks as advised by cboggs and see where i stand as far as links. I was looking around at alot of sites and ended up looking at asiatees.com again. Initially i was kind of put off because everything looks like cheap knock off parts that arent worth the materials they were made of. With the prices they have and considering they are an rcc vendor i am going to give them a shot, hopefully if its all crap the rcc community will have my back.

the shocks
Boom Racing Boomerang Type I Aluminum Internal Shocks Set 110MM (2) Blue BRSI0110
Save your money and time ...... I don't believe you're gonna like them. Personally I would recommend (being on a budget) going with these to get you started.
AXIAL SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited C/R Shocks (4)

RPP always has good deals in their salvage yard. Theyre a start to a common shock we use and you can just clip the fake reservoirs off.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #53
RCC Addict

What Rob said.^^^^ Those scx10 shock are way cheap and if you get the O-rings from axial and add another to the bottom (3 in each) of the shock and lose the plastic spacer that's in there I find they hold quite well!!! Also get some green slime for those O-rings! Pick up a set of Losi mini-t springs and you have a decent shock with close to the right amount of travel. The only other thing you would need is some spring cups for them but you can use the stock ones with a little bit of massaging.

For the servo I would save your money and buy something decent. Its the one thing that you can end up replacing several times if you don't spend wisely the first time. I'd go with the Holmes or look in the for sale section for a used Hitec. They have warranty forever so if it ever does fail then you only out shipping costs but will have a basically a new servo in return!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Save your money and time ...... I don't believe you're gonna like them. Personally I would recommend (being on a budget) going with these to get you started.

RPP always has good deals in their salvage yard. Theyre a start to a common shock we use and you can just clip the fake reservoirs off.
and this is why i ask for opinions haha. Ive scoured the salvage yard at rpp over and over again, not sure how i overlooked those. Thank you!

I was looling at hitec servos, what characteristics should i look for in a servo?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Truthfully you will need a bec 20 from just about anywhere Holmes hobbies will set it for you for 2 dollar which saves you 20 for programmer (castle link) I'd go with a hitec 7954 I got mine for 64 on shop around. You want highest torque and speed you can afford. As always steel gears or titanium. Watch carefully some metal gear servo have aluminum you don't want that. Also you will need a locking servo horn. Look at robotronics from the servo horn.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #56
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
and this is why i ask for opinions haha. Ive scoured the salvage yard at rpp over and over again, not sure how i overlooked those. Thank you!

I was looling at hitec servos, what characteristics should i look for in a servo?
Im a 7950 fan - never failed me but budget vs good area I really don't know.

Savox has some really good servos Ive seen used but I couldn't begin to tell you which ones. Maybe peak around those and someone can chime in on them.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #57
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Also you will need a locking servo horn. Look at robotronics from the servo horn.

A-Main has some Protek ones just like them on clearance for like 12$

Got a couple last week and they look good and strong.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Savox not so good on warranty in my experience. I use a Holmes hobbies servo on my ax10, but have used hitec 7954 also.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

i think im just goint to splurge for the 7950, rpp is going to be getting a bunch of money from me this month haha.

here is the new gameplan, let me know if something isnt right. It ends up saving me money in the long run

shocks

steering set
STRC ALUMINUM HD STEERING LINK SET FOR AXIAL WRAITH (SILVER)

drive shafts
MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (2)

wheels
Junfac GT 2.2 " Beadlocks (2) for 2.2inch Size Tires

servo
Hitec RCD HS-7950TH Mega Torque Ti Gear Digital Dual BB

servo horn(s)
Robitronic Long Aluminum Servo Arm for HITEC 24T RED 20mm/24mm

through looking at pictures i have determined that i have the links backwards on my set up. straight on the bottom and bent on top.... never said i was smart
Old 09-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Before spending all that money at RRP keep an eye on the for sale section a lot of those parts come up all the time! You will also find tires and wheels as a package deal almost every week!

Scx10 driveshaft's with a little reinforcement work well! Much cheaper than the MIP's. or these should work http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/syws7.htm

Steering links show up all the time and usually they are titanium. But the ones you have listed will work.

Can't go wrong with a 7950! Very killer servo that takes a lot of abuse! Again come up all the time in the for sale section but you have to constantly check it to get the really good deals!

Good servo arm! It will work for you!

Last edited by mammoth; 09-02-2015 at 03:36 PM.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dutch AX10 sporty build douwe Axial AX-10 Scorpion 232 11-29-2015 11:27 AM
which axles for sporty build? ax10 or ar60 Flyin Hawaiian Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 06-20-2015 10:37 PM
Project Slow and Stead- Wraith build ezekiel_771 Axial Wraith 2 06-12-2014 04:50 PM