Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Front Axles Binding at Full Steering Lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Front Axles Binding at Full Steering Lock?

So my new ridgecrest seems to bind when at full steering lock. I already set my trim so the wheels don't hit the body or frame so it's not that.

I suspect it's just like a real 4x4 with locked front axels and diff where it is difficult to make a tight turn.

I don't notice this when in dirt/grass. Only when in a stand. I've only run it 3 or 4 times and that was mildly in the backyard, going over curbs, etc.

Is this something I need to be concerned with?

Last edited by jbsmith05; 04-08-2013 at 08:18 PM.
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

Default Re: Front Axles Binding at Full Steering Lock?

iM GEUSSING YOUR RUNNING THE STOCK DOGBONE SETUP? yOU MIGHT WANNA TRY AND GRAB SOME UNIVERSALS SHAFTS...
ZayZay671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

yeah it's all stock. Have a recommendation for universals?

Also I assume it's ok to leave as-is until they break or whenever I get around to putting in the universals?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Axial universals are fine and only 40 bucks. Dog bones are the devil, they break c hubs and spindles.

Do a google search on this site, AR60 dog bones, both for the Wraith and the Ridge have been cussed about a million kazillion times! The search feature is your friend!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks, I do search first...but I just saw a lot of posts where the binding developed. Site is great, just sometimes hard to determine with all the content if its the same issue as I have - especially to a newb!

Appreciate all the help from everyone!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ditch those dog bones asap! I have the Axial uni's, one of the first mods I did.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

to relieve the dogbone issue, I just limited the steering endpoints so it doesn't bind. The stock dogbones have about 32 degrees Worth of turning, but only about 25 without binding. it does make for a lot bigger turning radius, but you don't have to worry about breaking a dogbone because of binding. VP shafts are coming so I'll be able to double my endpoints now hehehe.

edit: make sure you read what the steering angle of the new shafts you'll be using are and that they are higher than 32 cause some of them a quite cheap but reduce your steering angle.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have been running the stock bones in my (used to be) RTR Wraith for almost a year now. I keep the endpoints back enough & they are holding up fine for me w/ 35t HH on 3s.
I will however upgrade to universals in front when I go 4WS & put the bones in back to keep $$ to a minimum.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
I have been running the stock bones in my (used to be) RTR Wraith for almost a year now. I keep the endpoints back enough & they are holding up fine for me w/ 35t HH on 3s.
I will however upgrade to universals in front when I go 4WS & put the bones in back to keep $$ to a minimum.
Still on stock spur/pinion?
pie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie_ View Post
Still on stock spur/pinion?
no
87 T 48 pitch Axial plastic spur & RRP 16T steel pinion, runs warm after 2 3s packs & have not pushed. I will likely go down to 14 or 15 on the pinion.

The bones,driveshafts & the front Ring & pinion are about all thats left stock in the drivetrain.

Pinion & spur were the 1st thing i changed.

Last edited by Dostradamas; 04-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I had the same issue and my stock dogbones had actually worn grooves into the cups and they were binding there. I bought a set of the HR universals and they broke within 2 minutes of use. I ordered a set of Axial universals and they are great. I was very hard on them last night and they took the abuse.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
no
87 T 48 pitch Axial plastic spur & RRP 16T steel pinion, runs warm after 2 3s packs & have not pushed. I will likely go down to 14 or 15 on the pinion.

The bones,driveshafts & the front Ring & pinion are about all thats left stock in the drivetrain.

Pinion & spur were the 1st thing i changed.
I just put a 13t pinion in mine the other day and on 3s it is slower than stock, thinking about putting a 16t on there for a bit more wheelspeed.
pie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I ended up with the 14T pinion (87 spur) & that is the 1! runs warm for hours on 3s, just what I wanted no more hot motor!

Front Axles Binding at Full Steering Lock? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone get full lock to lock steering with stock radio? XDR Axial Wraith 5 10-12-2011 08:25 AM
Steering got worse after I lock the front differentials Booniman Tamiya XC/CC01 28 01-30-2011 10:14 AM
Chugging at full steering lock? Lockout Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 10-12-2009 08:28 AM
Front wheels Binding at Full turn ripper7777777 General Crawlers 6 09-22-2005 01:31 PM