Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: decision.....another scx10 or get a deadbolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default decision.....another scx10 or get a deadbolt?

Im trying to decide should I get another scx10 like a honcho or should I go for a deadbolt? I already own a scx10 wrangler rubicon and love it! Decisions decisions decisions....
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: decision.....another scx10 or get a deadbolt?

I'm in the same boat. I already have two scx10's, a Rubicon and a Honcho, and am really considering the Deadbolt. It's a different beast and one that could probably withstand a little more bashing than the scx10's. If anything, I'd definitely get the Deadbolt for my son. By the way, I got the Honcho so my wife would have something to drive when we go to park or walk the trails with our son. In any case, good luck with whichever you choose.
kuyawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The Ridgecrest/Deadbolt is a great platform. Out of the box, I would say that it is more of a basher, but it can be made in to a nice crawler.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

it is a good in-between. just drop in a lower pinion gear and it's a good crawler platform to have fun in the trails or rockcrawling with friends. the free mods like bender's mods to the ridgecrest make it very capable with little money spent. stock I believe you can make it last a while if you keep checking the tightness of the screws often. after a year I'm putting alum c-hubs and knuckles and it's not because they broke.
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just got mine tonight its a sick little crawler
Alamo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #6

I got mine (Deadbolt) a few days before Christmas. Its my first crawler/scaler/rock racer and I'm hooked!!! I've already placed the battery over the front and flipped the mounts on the axle that hold the springs and suspension arms, forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to the terminology and part names, still learning. I was very surprised and impressed with the difference these two mods made. I have a 14T pinion, Hotbodies Rovers, wheel weights and Gmad Mudrocks on the way (most should be here Friday). I cant wait to see how she does then. I'd say go with the Deadbolt, I love mine.
CypressCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Also in the same boat. I've got my SCX10 built up as a trail scaler. Was debating picking up a rig for the wife to run trails with, found a local RTR honcho for $240 or spend a little more and get a new Deadbolt (since it's more basher than scaler making it a bit easier for her to drive)
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

my kid has the honcho he bashes the hell out of it, tried to get him to calm down but he like the gas floored haha. his is all plastic so it just bends and conforms to what he is trying to break
MCW24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

some purple springs will help for crawling and arent too soft to induce a lot of body roll when bashing either. IMO the black ones are just too soft for the ridgecrest/deadbolt.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Okay im looking at getting either a honcho, wrangler G6, or building a scx10. This is considering I have a few extra parts. Or getting the deadbolt. Darn it, I like them all!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Go with the deadbolt the body is sick as hell
Alamo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Decoded deadbolt is the way to go for a trail basher on 2.2 since my scx10 is on 1.9, so something different
Took advantage of tower hobbies $35 coupon code and free shipping
Can't wait for it to show up!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Alrighty....I can't take it anymore! I pondered it long enough! I made my decision. I decided to order the deadbolt. I cant get over how cool that retro dovetailed bronco-like body is. I used the $35.00 promo code that Tower was running. Under $300 shipped! Okay now to look towards free upgrades and tweaks and some minor upgrades. Don't want to take away from its coolness!

Last edited by dwblue00; 12-31-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Great choice, the AX10's are a lot of fun out the box, the suspension is a bit high but its easy to lower, its night and day better with it lowered for crawling or bashing, and the 20t motor is a good balance. I would recommend the Axial universal axles as your first upgrade, then a high torque servo with a BEC, it would be a good time to install the BEC when/if you switch to dean's connectors to run a lipo battery.
Nix951980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I read somewhere that the deadbolt comes with metal front universals. A stronger servo with a BEC will be a future upgrade along with 43/13 axle gearing and a 27 turn motor or lower. A deans connector is going to be the very first upgrade on my list, due to I only run Deans or TRX connectors. TRX connectors I typically run in my TRX vehicles. I also want to look into aluminum steering links due to the plastic is soft and works as a servo saver.

Last edited by dwblue00; 12-31-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I wouldnt worry about the servo until you change the tires and do some major rock crawling. When you do however, got with at least 350oz. The stock shafts(dogbone, not universals) have about 25-30 degrees of turn before they really bind bad. Some VP cvds will give you at least 45(or 65) degrees of free movement and 52(or 70? not sure anymore) max with a bit of binding. I definitely recommend the BEC, with it you can up the voltage to your stock servo to 6V, it'll help quite a bit with sticking to it for a while and you can up the drag brake on the stock motor, it's already not that strong even at 100%. Steering upgrade is nice as the stock one binds a bit too much to my taste. You dont have to spend a lot of money on it to have a lot of fun, it's not the first gen ax10 years where all the diff HAS to be upgraded for it not to break. This truck is very sturdy from the factory.

Have fun with it and keep those metal screws tight!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Okay i'm already looking at upgrades from STRC like:

c-hubs
steering knuckles
Diff holders
lower shock link mounts
rear lockout
h.d. steering linkage
servo mount
f/r upper link mounts

Are any of these a waste of time for the deadbolt?

I'm looking at upgrading the servo and the arm, the motor, and the Diff gears to 43/13, this is to help with the torque twist. Let me know if any of this is overkill. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I'd change the front axleshafts to at least axial universals, get some lower links, steering linkage i got from strc with built-in rod ends. I would spent my money on vanquish steering kit at least, the strc links are ok, the built in rod ends havent popped out of the links so far other than the steering, which was replaced(by another STRC kit that had replaceable rod ends and had to file the links to fit the link from axle to servo and lengthen the link to connect both knuckles. I rly dont recommend it). I wouldnt worry about the link/shock mount either.

after a year of using mine with the plastic c-hubs and knuckles, I'm now waiting on aluminum c-hubs and knuckles, more for peace of mind but they have not shown sign of failure at all(and I'm adding a 500oz servo, although someone told me he ran one and hasn't had issues with the plastic ones yet). Use some machine screws and you should be good honestly.

so to make this short, I'd go with:steering links from vanquish(seems like a waste of money but it aint, trust me)
vanquish VVD(axleshafts)
strc suspension link kit
strc servo mounts
a machine screw kit for the truck(i got mine from RC screwz, any will do)
new servo at least 350oz with alum arm
change the pinion before doing the motor or front diff gears, unless you plan on only rockcrawling
purple springs if you havent added springs already.
get some extra axial wheel nuts

hope this helps bud

Last edited by benster; 01-02-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Which lower links are you running currently?

I've got a vp stage 1 kit, solar d772 servo, and a cc bec ordered.

I still need to order steering links and suspension links. Budgets been cut to nada after buying the deadbolt and above mods lol
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys! I'll look into the vanquish products steering links. I was thinking about STRC stuff due to cost and keeping the aluminum weight low on the axles like that would help with crawling capabilities. I want to try to keep stock look but yet have some bullet-proof performance.

decision.....another scx10 or get a deadbolt? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Deadbolt owner CypressCrawler Axial AX10 2nd-gen 10 01-07-2014 01:09 PM
Should i buy a deadbolt Alamo71 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 21 12-30-2013 06:54 PM
Deadbolt Alamo71 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 2 12-24-2013 01:43 PM
Axial AX10 Deadbolt Lentsnh2012 General Crawlers 4 10-29-2013 12:10 PM
Decision Help Tamiya High lift vs SCX10 it8ezbngrn General Crawlers 11 06-13-2012 02:59 AM