Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX10 2nd-gen

Notices

Thread: Underdrive gear problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Underdrive gear problem

Hey all,

I purchased some 43/13 underdrive gears for my Deadbolt and after installing them have some mesh issues. I've searched for solutions but nothing seems to help. Any ideas on how to correct this? So far I've tried removing the gasket and loosening the bearing caps. It's grinding more on one side than the other on the ring.

I've shimmed my mini E-revo before but not sure if I can or what I would need to shim these axles.
VTHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Underdrive gear problem

Make sure the pinion gear is pushed all the way down into the bearing(s). Sometimes it takes a little tap to get it seated properly. I've had several that needed that little extra nudge as some get hung up just enough to create a poor mesh.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, pinion needs to be tapped in slightly better and/or some type of debris keeping a bearing from fully seating.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I tore everything apart again and made sure the pinion was as far seated as I could get it. There's still some gear noise. If I unseat the bearing on the gear side it spins freely and sounds perfect. Of course when I put the bearing caps on it seats the ring gear back down and thus returns the grind. Maybe I'm gonna just have to live with it unless anyone has another idea.

On a side note, what's up with these diff cover screw heads constantly stripping? I've gone through 5 of these already. Seems like Axial may have tightened them too much. The heads on 5 of my diff cover screws were partly stripped the first time I took them off. Combine that with my torque taking them off and they're done. What a pain using a needle nose to back out those long screws.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hmmm, never have had a problem with those diff cover bolts. Make sure you're using a decent metric driver and not a SAE one. The replacements don't have to be torqued down...just snug as they are only 2 mil and not a lot of thread depth.

As far as your diff gears...I've had some that aren't quite as smooth as I like, but it's never affected performance.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Check that the heads of the 4 screws that secure the ring gear to the locker isn't contacting the bearing cap.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I got it all back together and as close as I could get it. I guess I'm just used to 1:1 gear set-ups. Took it out for test drive and there's definitely some grinding under load but I don't trail ride too much so maybe they'll hold up. Overall though a definite improvement over stock. I'm thinking the machining may be slightly off at this point. I forgot to mention they're the Hot Racing brand and not Axial. Guess it never pays to go cheap but I'm trying to keep my costs down since I can't quit upgrading this rig. It's just so much fun.

I bought the same size Axial diff cover screws for replacements. Maybe I should get some shorter ones like you mentioned Solitaire. It does seem like overkill to be that long. I'm using the 1.5mm allen that came in my Dynamite tool kit I picked up from my LHS.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

It's definitely gear grindage. I can feel the miss match in gear mesh when I spin the pinion.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'd suspect the machining of the gears.

Last thing to check would be any burrs/plastic mold imperfection on the mating surfaces of the Ring gear and the plastic carrier that could prevent the gears from running true?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The gears hold up a lot better when they are setup "crunchy". If they aren't like that I shim them until they are. I have never stripped the diff cover bolts and I have taken them out a lot. I suspect your driver isn't sharp enough.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

My od axial gears in my poison spyder do the same thing. doesn't affect its performance a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderwood View Post
The gears hold up a lot better when they are setup "crunchy". If they aren't like that I shim them until they are. I have never stripped the diff cover bolts and I have taken them out a lot. I suspect your driver isn't sharp enough.
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This may sound basic but, Make sure the ring gear is on the correct side of the pinion. Be sure the axle is right side up & that the ring gear is on the right, Not left, side of the pinion.

You might also remove the pinion and install the diff w/ ring gear to see if it seats into the bearing carriers correctly and spins freely. Does it spin straight & not osilate / wobble?
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I'm putting the underdrive gears in the rear if the ring were on the right then the back wheels would try and go backwards when front were trying to go forward. I did test the gears in this configuration though and they mesh perfect.

What's funny is my directions do show both ring gears being installed on the long axle side.

Last edited by VTHokie; 05-02-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Check that the heads of the 4 screws that secure the ring gear to the locker isn't contacting the bearing cap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post

You might also remove the pinion and install the diff w/ ring gear to see if it seats into the bearing carriers correctly and spins freely. Does it spin straight & not osilate / wobble?
I like this guys suggestion
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The ring gear screws are good. The assembly is moving freely and doesn't appear to have any wobble. At this point I think it's really just bad machining. Guess I'm running "crunchy".
Old 05-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

A person I crawl with had the same problem with the same gear in his wraith.
Turns out it was a bad set from axial.
Flash178 is offline   Reply With Quote

Underdrive gear problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 underdrive gear making clicking noise.... bringingsexyback Axial SCX-10 3 05-01-2014 11:48 PM
underdrive gear noise? Gravebane525 Axial SCX-10 6 09-22-2013 12:47 PM
43t/13t beveled underdrive gear problem Killa-Cotton Axial SCX-10 5 01-29-2013 05:37 PM