Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: SSD Aluminum Servo Mounts (including dig)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #41

Default Re: SSD Aluminum Servo Mounts (including dig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Any chance that the dig mounts could be installed without taking the rig apart? Was thinking with a long hex driver that I could maybe get in from the top... even if I had to ream a hole or two somewhere in the interior.
It would be really nice if possible, but I do not see how this could be done without chopping up the interior lexan.
kmh038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2020, 02:03 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Any chance that the dig mounts could be installed without taking the rig apart? Was thinking with a long hex driver that I could maybe get in from the top... even if I had to ream a hole or two somewhere in the interior.
I think it's just a matter of disconnecting shocks and dropping the skid isn't it? That's not too bad.

On another note (and this is not a knock on anyone), it's funny how many are mostly okay with the work required to get to the innards of this rig to work on it, while a certain other larger-sized caged rig with similar accessibility issues was completely slammed for it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I think it's just a matter of disconnecting shocks and dropping the skid isn't it? That's not too bad.

On another note (and this is not a knock on anyone), it's funny how many are mostly okay with the work required to get to the innards of this rig to work on it, while a certain other larger-sized caged rig with similar accessibility issues was completely slammed for it.
I'm not sure which rig you're hinting at. It sucks on both the Bomber and the Wraith. The Wraith is worse. I'm not looking forward to it on the Capra either.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm not sure which rig you're hinting at. It sucks on both the Bomber and the Wraith. The Wraith is worse. I'm not looking forward to it on the Capra either.
It's not "fun". I've already done it twice, and will have to do it a third time to 'fix' the slipper pad matter.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #45
RCC Addict

I just leave the interiors out of my Wraith and Capra and things are much quicker to access... but it doesn't look as nice with visible wiring.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Me too! Geesh - ya snooze ya lose I guess. Hopefully back in stock soon.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #47
RCC Addict

I just replaced the dig mounts... not at all difficult as long as you have fairly long 2mm and 1.5mm hex drivers (and small needle-nose pliers to hold the screws in place while getting hex drivers into position). I removed the drive side panel and the roof panel. I also removed both the driver and co-pilot helmets and the (2) easily accessible rear interior screws in order to lift the interior section up. The hardest part was accessing the screw that holds the rear mount in place.

The screws that hold the servo to the mounts are 1.5mm cap-heads and are fairly easy to remove without a ball-hex driver. The front button-head servo-mount screw ( that attaches the mount to the chassis) is a little harder to access and it's threaded into the plastic pretty tight. This is where I spun the driver a couple times but not bad and the screw was perfectly reusable.

The rear mounting screw was definitely harder to access and I had to go slow. Due to the angle, I wound up spinning my ball driver enough that by the time the screw was out, I decided to replace it with a stainless button head. It was reusable but chewed up enough that I didn't want to use it again. Fwiw I lock-tighted the servo-mounting screws into the new aluminum mounts for a little insurance against loosening.

Anyway.. not a hard or time-consuming job. Took me less than an hour and I was going pretty slow. Also fwiw I had to ream a very small hole right in between the drivers legs lol... just enough to be able to fit the hex-drivers in. Can't even see the hole so all good.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:33 PM   #48

I assume that the factory screws are used except for the provided one that goes in the front dig servo mount pin hole, but the steering servo mounting screws seem loose in the threads to me. No servo to put in yet but the screws wobble in the mounts like the tap is oversized. Just screwed them in there to keep track of what goes where and noticed it. The tiny screws for the dig servo felt normal if not a little snug threading in to me which seemed better.
BSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #49
RCC Addict

@ BSmith I thought the dig mount threads were nice and snug as well. I didn't use the SSD steering mount. The one I used was from Super Shafty.... I highly recommend it if you decide to try a different front servo mount.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Did the dig mount help with flexing? Looks like they are back in stock, should I order one?
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
Did the dig mount help with flexing? Looks like they are back in stock, should I order one?
My Capra hasn't even been outdoors yet but from everything that I've read on here... Yes... I would absolutely plan to replace those dig servo mounts at the least. Pretty cheap too for all mounts. But yeah... supposedly the stock dig servo mounts allow a good deal of flex/ twist and that hinders the performance of the dig unit. So I'd definitely replace them.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

I see a few guys here only using the dig servo mounts. Anyone want to sell their leftover steering mount if your not using it? Make getting your dig mount for like half price.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
I see a few guys here only using the dig servo mounts. Anyone want to sell their leftover steering mount if your not using it? Make getting your dig mount for like half price.
PM me your address and I'll send you mine... never used because I had already installed the Super Shafty steering servo mount. No payment necessary. I can get it sent out next week.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Quote:
PM me your address and I'll send you mine... never used because I had already installed the Super Shafty steering servo mount. No payment necessary. I can get it sent out next week.
That's pretty nice of you.

I ended up going with a flat belly skid that has the mounts molded in.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
That's pretty nice of you.

I ended up going with a flat belly skid that has the mounts molded in.
Thanks. I sent it out today. He should get it Friday

I sure hope you post pics somewhere of that skid. Sounds interesting.

EDIT> Go Bucks! I grew up north of Cols.

SSD Aluminum Servo Mounts (including dig) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD HD Aluminum Link Mounts SSD Redcat Crawlers 8 07-01-2019 05:58 PM
New SSD Aluminum Servo Horn for TRX-4 SSD Traxxas TRX-4 31 04-09-2018 06:57 PM
Aluminum Servo Mounts... sabohead Electronics 3 02-08-2011 07:55 PM
DNA Dig Custom Servo Mounts, Full Size or Micro Servo Kraqa Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 09-11-2009 10:17 AM
aluminum servo mounts? h8z2luze Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 08-05-2009 03:01 PM