Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: A few quick questions before I start my build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A few quick questions before I start my build

I know the answers to my questions are out there but there is so much conflicting information that I figure one last ask before I start kit my build.

Pinion
I plan to use 540 brushed, 35T. I'm waiting for a Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport. I've heard that the gearing is on the high side. I plan to substitute the kit pinion with a 11T one. Is that too low, too high, just right?

Steering Servo
I'm going to start off with a waterproof 20kg servo available all over the place on Amazon (red anodized case). I know discussing steering servos is like discussing politics so I'm not asking "What's the best?". I;m going to go with a Hobbywing 1080. I'm hoping to avoid a BEC for the time being. With this servo, can I get away without using a BEC?

Shock Fluid
Plan to use what's in the kit, 35 WT?

Springs
Plan to swap out kit ones for the Axial purples.

Mods
Pen spring on all four.

The usage will be relaxing informal crawling and trail running. No competition or hard core stuff, yet.

I've been in R/C for what seems like forever, 30+ years. Crawling is my newest R/C category. I mainly fly medium sized airplanes, 60" wingspan or so. Used to dabble in helicopters. Still have scale electric boats. One 1/6 scale tank.
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: A few quick questions before I start my build

Well I’ll kick of the discussion of disagreement lol
I’m running a 35t brushed trailmaster sport with the stock pinion, I like the wheel speed sometimes. But it may be a little too much. I know a few people have dropped to 12t pinion and been happy. Unfortunately it’s a chore to change the pinion, so whatever you choose you’ll likely stick with for a while.

The servo should be fine with the hw1080, I’m running a savox 1212sg but it’s overkill, I recommend the savox 1210sg 444oz at 7.4v and the hobbywing will supply that just fine.

I meant to order the purple springs but dummy me ordered the red ones I already had, so I just went to 50wt oil with red springs and will order purple springs later. Haven’t tried the pen spring mod yet but again, I know a ton of people have.
Good luck and happy building!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I use the 25kg red case servo and don't have any need for BEC. It has plenty of torque and I doubt it'sa much different from the 20kg.

Pen spring mod works great.

I'm still running the stock 14t pinion, but I'm too lazy to pull the skid to change it. I ordered an Alcista conversion. When that gets here I plan to put a 10 or 11t pinion on it. The throttle is a bit touchy with the 14t.
BR549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Heck, I run the Annimos 35KG blue case Amazon servo off a HW1080 in my Defender TRX-4, along with the shift and locker servos - all at 6volts.

No issues to report.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thank you guys! That's comforting to know that the BEC is solid with the HW 1080 and not where published specs are a pipe dream.

As for the pinion I might go with a 12T then instead of a 11T. BTW, I forgot to mention that I plan on using a combo of 2S and 3S packs. I have lots of 3S for my planes that will fit. I know that the pinion is a PIA to get to once the truck is built so that's why I'm trying to do it "right first time" (for those of you in the corporate world! ).
Old 08-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Thank you guys! That's comforting to know that the BEC is solid with the HW 1080 and not where published specs are a pipe dream.

As for the pinion I might go with a 12T then instead of a 11T. BTW, I forgot to mention that I plan on using a combo of 2S and 3S packs. I have lots of 3S for my planes that will fit. I know that the pinion is a PIA to get to once the truck is built so that's why I'm trying to do it "right first time" (for those of you in the corporate world! ).
I have been running the 12T and like it alot with the HH Torquemaster Expert brushed 35T..Also red springs, F 50wt/ R 70wt and it works much better than stock.

Last edited by dezracer99; 08-03-2020 at 11:59 AM.
dezracer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezracer99 View Post
Also red springs, F 50wt/ R 70wt and it works much better than stock.
Will these matter if I plan on doing the pen spring mod?
Old 08-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmeow View Post
Will these matter if I plan on doing the pen spring mod?
Not sure as I just haven't done that mod
dezracer99 is offline   Reply With Quote

A few quick questions before I start my build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 quick questions? Mighty1 RC4WD Bully 19 06-23-2010 05:56 PM
Quick questions Silversamps85 Large Scale Rigs 1 02-04-2010 03:37 PM
quick questions Venturestein Newbie General 2 09-11-2008 08:30 PM